Breaking DirecTV News:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
vurbano said:
If that HR20's OTA tuners still arent working then forget about OTA.
Ya it would be nice to know if these are working before I commit money to this HD DVR.
I am sure D* would like to keep them not working in order to gain locals thru them instead, but if the unit has an OTA option it should work....

Anyone who has a HR20-700 so far have any word on weather or not they are working. ( the original posts from testers may not have been working because they were testers, we can hope)

Jimbo

herdfan said:
Any word on what deals would be given to current OWNERS of HR10-250's? I would hope they have discussed this and have formulated a plan.:eek:

And we know lots of things CSR's don't know.;)
I pretty sure they will have a plan, whether or not the plan involves having the customers bend over and grab their ankles or not we will just have to wait and see.

UBoat, I may have to put you on ignore. Your avatar scares the hell out of me. Not as much as Dr. Bob, but still the fear is real!

vurbano said:
If that HR20's OTA tuners still arent working then forget about OTA.

I agree OTA is very important but I cant imagine they dont plan to release it. Why would they put the hardware at a cost and then not activate? Its coming. I betcha they did it to flat out test the MPEG4 locals. Period. LA market is supposed to be a test market right?

Mark my words, but we will see OTA activated when the unit rolls out nationally in September. If not then I will join the chorus saying whats wrong with you D*?

Well Longhorn, since you are correct about 99.99% of the time with your information we are all going to let you slide on this one. I must say though that I think this is the very first time on these boards that someone actually admitted they might have gotten some bad info, of course that is not including the 246,372 times that someone has quoted a CSR. And in closing, ummm, nice... errr.... kitty.

Jimbos said:
Ya it would be nice to know if these are working before I commit money to this HD DVR.
I am sure D* would like to keep them not working in order to gain locals thru them instead, but if the unit has an OTA option it should work....

Anyone who has a HR20-700 so far have any word on weather or not they are working. ( the original posts from testers may not have been working because they were testers, we can hope)

Jimbo
A poster on dbstalk claims to know when the OTA tuners will be available.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=62489

Activation of the OTA tuners is slated for a patch scheduled to go out on 3 October. Granted, DirecTV's track record of releasing patches according to their internal timelines is not the best- so let's just say 2nd or 3rd week of October to be safe. I could state the reasons I've been told they're shipping the HR20 with the ATSC tuners deactivated but you wouldn't believe it if I did.

Ship Date
HR20s will begin shipping for installation August 28. I've heard this enough over the previous weeks that I feel quite comfortable with this date. This is when they ship not necessarily when they're going to be installed. If you have an HD-DVR INSTALL or UPGRADEscheduled for August 29 or later, you'll most likely get the HR20 installed. If you have any questions whether or not you're going to receive the HR20 or an HR10-250, or even if there are going to be enough inventory for either product, don't call DirecTV. DirecTV can't guarantee anything as far what model of what receiver is going to be installed. I hear reports of customers once or twice a month who are request a technician to bring out a Hughes or RCA receiver on a new install.
If you really want to know the specifics of what is going to be installed, contact the HSP or MSP who is performing your install or upgrade. Be careful with that though because these offices are not designed to be bombarded by customer inquiries and you may have to ask a couple of different people before you get an accurate answer.

If you get an HR10-250 installed and you wanted an HR20, don't get ticked off at your installer. He or She has no control over what the logistics chain stocks his/her warehouse with.

Live Buffers

No one will probably believe this, but I'll give it a go anyway. Apparently DirecTV is well aware of how many subs want this feature. Sad to say, they also view this feature as a niche feature and it is a low priority- but it is possible. That's not saying that they won't do it or that they will do it. Let's just say, I put the over/under on live buffers by Jan 1. BTW, if someone posts "OMG, Live buffers can't be done because the HR20 only has "X" decoders/tuners/incompatible software" or that "tivo has patented live buffering" you're obviously better connected then I am and I should seriously question why I spend so much time on here.

RF antenna for the R-15

No one has asked about this forever but just in case... mid-october.

6.3 HR10-250

Mid-october. This may get moved up or pushed back though- but not because it isn't ready. October is looking like a pretty busy month and the feeling is that this may be just one more thing DirecTV has to support and react to and that it might steal technical resources away other rollouts.

Slimline

They haven't started full manufacturing of the dish yet... I'm being told they will start shipping 6 weeks from now. I can't say what the slated monthly production would have to be but let's just say that no one at WNC/Wistron is taking any vacation at the moment.

FlyingJ said:
Well Longhorn, since you are correct about 99.99% of the time with your information we are all going to let you slide on this one. I must say though that I think this is the very first time on these boards that someone actually admitted they might have gotten some bad info, of course that is not including the 246,372 times that someone has quoted a CSR. And in closing, ummm, nice... errr.... kitty.

Hey I've always been man enough to admit when I've been wrong. So far I've only been wrong twice in my entire life including this time.:D

Honestly I've been wrong so many times no human or computer could count them all but we do try to verify our information as best we can and I failed to verify the info and for that I'm sorry. Oh and that contact is off my friends list now too. I soo wish that information wasn't bad as I do want NFL Sunday Ticket but I just can't switch from Comcast to DirecTV as I could lose so many services I use and enjoy. So now that I've had my one slide will the mob put a hit on me the next time I'm wrong or will it just be a love tap in the face.....Let me know FlyingJ mkay.

LonghornXP said:
Hey I've always been man enough to admit when I've been wrong. So far I've only been wrong twice in my entire life including this time.:D

Honestly I've been wrong so many times no human or computer could count them all but we do try to verify our information as best we can and I failed to verify the info and for that I'm sorry. Oh and that contact is off my friends list now too. I soo wish that information wasn't bad as I do want NFL Sunday Ticket but I just can't switch from Comcast to DirecTV as I could lose so many services I use and enjoy. So now that I've had my one slide will the mob put a hit on me the next time I'm wrong or will it just be a love tap in the face.....Let me know FlyingJ mkay.

Oh no LonghornXP, we won't resort to such violence here. Nope not in these threads. What we have in store next time is far worse. We lock you in a room with Vurbano and ask him to give you a dissertation on the subject of "D* and their commitment to HD-Lite. :eek:

FlyingJ said:
UBoat, I may have to put you on ignore. Your avatar scares the hell out of me. Not as much as Dr. Bob, but still the fear is real!

Aw come on J, the killer bee isn't that scary. I could go back to the Gold Hat pic (the guy from the movie "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" who say's "badges, we don't need no stinking badges!")

FlyingJ said:
Oh no LonghornXP, we won't resort to such violence here. Nope not in these threads. What we have in store next time is far worse. We lock you in a room with Vurbano and ask him to give you a dissertation on the subject of "D* and their commitment to HD-Lite. :eek:

Oh that wouldn't work as I would just listen to my ipod as I always bring it with me. If you take it away I might be giving Vurbano a few lessons about HD-Lite and its a subject I quite enjoy fighting with others about. As I'm a Staff member I resist that urge on this site but that sure wouldn't be far worse lol. Making me watch two chick flicks in a row in analog would be enough to make me want to shoot myself in the head if you left a gun in the room with me.

FlyingJ said:
We lock you in a room with Vurbano and ask him to give you a dissertation on the subject of "D* and their commitment to HD-Lite. :eek:
I dont think LonghornXP needs any dissertations. He's very well informed as I recall. And besides Sean Mota is more up on the numbers than I am lock him in the room with Sean.

vurbano said:
I dont think LonghornXP needs any dissertations. He's very well informed as I recall. And besides Sean Mota is more up on the numbers than I am lock him in the room with Sean.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not Sean Mota nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Oh and last I checked Sean Mota is very very very very well informed so I wouldn't dare question anything he says not in a million years. Hey if I said something and Sean told me I was wrong I wouldn't doubt it for one second.

locksmith30076 said:
lol ....its funny how everybody anxious to get the new hd dvr with locals.
Why do you find that funny ?
If you are referring to the HR20-700, I have been waiting because I want the new technolongy, and the locals as well, although I already have my locals with the OTA antenna working fine.

Jimbo

I am actually anxious since I want a more stable HD ABC channel and interactive features for Sunday Ticket. I have the H20 but no interactive. So its not funny. I am very excited about this unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)