Broken remote? Need technical help...

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
I have a 508 remote that I took apart to clean it out because of some of keys were almost impossible to press.

Now here's the weird, or not so weird part maybe if you understand this stuff well. I thoroughly cleaned the plastic casing and rubber buttons. I then lightly cleaned the circuit board with a mildly wet toothbrush. I let it dry for a few hours and put it back together. I noticed that when I put the batteries in that the remote started smoking after about 30 seconds or so. I immediately took out the batteries. I have since figured out what made it smoke. It seems the little "antenna", I assume that's what it is anyway. The little circular wire thing near the LEDs, when it touches the stems of the LEDs, it'll cause the small chips on the remote to heat up and eventually burn something, which caused the smoking. I find it hard to believe that these two things (LEDs stems and "antenna") are not suppose to touch, since they are put so close together. I can put the remote together without them touching but a few swoops of the remote and they took very well be touching again.

Now, my question is, is this suppose to happen? What can I do, or what can possibily be wrong?

AppliedAggression said:
...I noticed that when I put the batteries in that the remote started smoking after about 30 seconds or so...

Now, my question is, is this suppose to happen? What can I do, or what can possibily be wrong?

If you reduce the resistance and keep the voltage the same, the current draw increases, sometimes to the point of smoke and fire. So, you've merely proven that Ohm's law works. And of course its supposed to happen, that's why its a law of physics, and nothing could be wrong with that, which is why its called a "law" of physics. (sorry...I'm a born smartass and just couldn't resist). :D

But I feel your pain. I'm about 2 for 5 on refurbishing remotes myself. Its usually better to just get a new one. Sorry for reacting all "schaudenfreude" on you, but I must admit I got a laugh out of it (not that that helps). :smug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)