Building New Home

paython

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Alabama, USA
I am in the process of building a new home that will be pre-wired for cable TV in each room (bedrooms, main living room/Den). I currently have the Hopper with two(2) Joeys (I will probably be adding a third when I move to the new house) and was wondering what I would need to have added to the basic cable runs to be pre-wired for the Hopper system.

I am in the process of building a new home that will be pre-wired for cable TV in each room (bedrooms, main living room/Den). I currently have the Hopper with two(2) Joeys (I will probably be adding a third when I move to the new house) and was wondering what I would need to have added to the basic cable runs to be pre-wired for the Hopper system.

Here's a diagram. Thanks to 3HaloODST. 3HaloODST 3 Hopper Config.jpg

Here's a diagram. Thanks to 3HaloODST.View attachment 79227

Ok, I just want to make sure I am reading the diagram correctly and see if my idea will work. The house will be wired with "homeruns" to each room for standard cable tv. I am planning an having everything run to a "media closet" with in the home with a feed to the outside box for the cable. The idea I had was to run a dedicated pair(I understand that the Hopper requires two feeds from the dish) of cables to a box on the south/southwest(is this correct?) side of the house, were the dish will be installed, back to the media closet where the node would be installed (ground will be accessable from the closet). From the node, the homerun to the outlet for the main TV(i.e the Hopper) can be connected and taps can be used off the client side of the node to connect the homeruns to the rooms where the Joeys will be installed. Will this work? Is there a different way I should look at the wiring. I am hoping to have eveything pre-wired during construction so that the installer doesn't have to drill any additional holes in the walls(other than to mount the dish) or to crawl around in the attic to try and fish the wires required and to hopefully make it easier for the installer. Thanks for your help.

Sounds good. But might you want to plan for three coax into the closet from the dish. This would allow for a duo node and two Hoppers.

Look at the second attachment in post 1 in this link. Especially page 7. Future proof yourself.

Run RG6 3GHz (duh) to each room, maybe a couple runs on opposite walls to future proof. Also run two runs of CAT6 to each outlet. Two different colors. One for data and one for phone. All home runs go into a central media panel. Then have three RG6 cables go from your media panel out to where the dish will run. I would pole mount the dish and run conduit under the ground from the media panel to the pole. Also don't forget if you want to wall mount in specific areas, make sure the CAT6 and electrical are installed behind the tv.

PokerMunkee said:
Run RG6 3GHz (duh) to each room, maybe a couple runs on opposite walls to future proof. Also run two runs of CAT6 to each outlet. Two different colors. One for data and one for phone. All home runs go into a central media panel. Then have three RG6 cables go from your media panel out to where the dish will run. I would pole mount the dish and run conduit under the ground from the media panel to the pole. Also don't forget if you want to wall mount in specific areas, make sure the CAT6 and electrical are installed behind the tv.

I would have it done like this as well, but instead of three runs from the media panel to the outside, make it four incase you want to have cable Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Also run two runs of CAT6 to each outlet. Two different colors. One for data and one for phone.

Excellent advice on the CAT6 as well as coax. I would also suggest that, if possible, install empty conduit from your media closet to an attic/basement/crawl space. This will allow you to add new lines down the road that you hadn't thought of during construction.

Thanks for all the great information. The only other thing I want to ask is, was I correct when I said the runs to the dish need to be on the south/southwest side of the house or is it south/southeast? Thanks again for all the great information. This should make the coax installs better and the dish installation when I move very easy for the installer.

The only other thing I want to ask is, was I correct when I said the runs to the dish need to be on the south/southwest side of the house or is it south/southeast?

That really depends more on your line of sight issues and cosmetically where you want the dish than anything else. Determine if you're Eastern Arc or Western Arc then go to Dishpointer.com to get a good idea of what your sight line is.

As you would expect, Eastern Arc points more toward the southeast, but the northwest corner of the house may be the best location if it avoids a tall tree.

If line of sight is not an issue, then place the dish where you want cosmetically(back of home) and have easiest access.

Just so you don't think we are all nutz. But, what I have is 2 jacks on opposite walls in every room having the potential need for connectivity.

Each jack has 2 homeruns each of Belden 1694A RG6 3GHz coax and Belden Mediatwist 1874A Cat6 ethernet. Add one additional RG6 coax run from your main media center (ex: living rm/home theatre/man cave). It will be cheaper in the long run unless you live in a ranch style home with access through a basement.

I have never regreted the additional expense. DIY if you know how and have the proper crimp tools and die.

I would make the home runs go out where the electrician is going to put the electric meter and main house ground. it's important that it be grounded to your house ground before entering the home. Another idea if you're interested in Over the Air HD in the event of a storm, would be to run 2 coax to a couple of main viewing areas to there for an antenna. This question of yours keeps getting more and more expensive...lol.

I have done it in 4 new and pre-existing homes for my dad and sisters and my last 2 personal homes. Minimum of 2 rg6 and 2 cat 6 to every room from a central closet where I have a couple of media cabinets, one for phone and Ethernet and one for coax. I then have 3 - 4 runs from the media closet outside to where our dishes are going to be located and 1 into the attic where OTA is mounted. I also have several rooms prewired for surround. I also have power wired to those closets for amps or modems etc...

I can put receivers or route signals anywhere I want with this setup. My personal home and my dads house I actually have more wiring than that installed for our specific needs. Wiring is cheap and easier to run in new construction so my motto has always been to run a lot, you never know what future gadget you might want to connect.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)