Burn DVD Disc from EHD or 722

svsgirl

Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Does anyone know if you can burn a dvd disc of saved programming from either an EHD or directly from a 722? I have a customer who wants to do this for her kids when they are traveling. We have been given conflicting info from Dish CS. I would like to know if it is possible.

Re: Burn DVD Disc from EHD or 722?

No, you can't. When I want a copy of a program I have to burn it as it plays. And it's not likely there will be a simpler process in the future since the video industry convinced all our Congressmen they need Digital Rights Management (D.R.M.) to "protect" their property against our "FAIR USE" rights! It will be even more difficult when your DVR recorder is connected via HDMI and the "No Copy" flag prevents you from recording a Hi-Def movie.

Does anyone know if you can burn a dvd disc of saved programming from either an EHD or directly from a 722? I have a customer who wants to do this for her kids when they are traveling. We have been given conflicting info from Dish CS. I would like to know if it is possible.

You can make a real time DVD recording, with a DVD recorder. S-video out of 722.

The best part is that on a 622, you can output an anamorphic picture from the s-vid jack. I don't know if the 722 will do this, but I know my Dad's 211 doesn't.

I've made plenty of true widescreen DVDs off HD programs. The quality isn't perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

The best part is that on a 622, you can output an anamorphic picture from the s-vid jack. I don't know if the 722 will do this, but I know my Dad's 211 doesn't.

I've made plenty of true widescreen DVDs off HD programs. The quality isn't perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

can you clarify for me? i have a sony dvd recorder but i can't record protected shows - are you saying i would be able to do so via s-vid in real time? i've tried with just RCA plugs, but on a recorded show with no luck.

You need to use s-video which gives all the channels the various formats, you could have been using tv2 composites while in dual user mode, which will only give you a cropped or letterbox on only HD channels. SD has no format features available on tv2.

Yes, it is possible from the internal disk, with a few channel exceptions where the content provider demanded that Dish encrypt their programs. Most programs are not encrypted, unless you move them onto the EHD.

Another possibility (that might satisfy the needs of your customer) is to move the programs to a PocketDish or a 5th generation Portable Media Player by Archos. Archos will give you a plug-in for free that will allow you to move SD programs onto an n05 player with digital perfection. Again the program gets encrypted, of course! But nevertheless it plays quite nicely on Archos players.

No, you can't. When I want a copy of a program I have to burn it as it plays. And it's not likely there will be a simpler process in the future since the video industry convinced all our Congressmen they need Digital Rights Management (D.R.M.) to "protect" their property against our "FAIR USE" rights! It will be even more difficult when your DVR recorder is connected via HDMI and the "No Copy" flag prevents you from recording a Hi-Def movie.

So this answer, which the OP believes to be correct, is wrong?
You should PM her and tell her you gave her the wrong answer. It can be done.

Yes, it is possible from the internal disk, with a few channel exceptions where the content provider demanded that Dish encrypt their programs.
Thank you for providing a good answer in this thread dominated by misinformation, conjecture, and falsehoods! You might want to clarify that the term "encrypt" here means that Dish has the capability to employ CGMS (Copy Guard Management System) on selected programming if there is an agreement with the content provider. When/if they do this, the analog video stream (regardless of whether it is composite or S-video, or even component) may contain a flag for copy-once, or copy-never. Virtually all consumer DVD recorders will observe these flags. The real question here (which I don't know the latest answer to) is whether or not any content is actually being encoded with CGMS.

Most programs are not encrypted, unless you move them onto the EHD.
All content on the EHD is encrypted when written to it and decrypted when read from it, so the real question is whether or not CGMS is applied specifically to EHD content, but not the internal HD content, either in accordance with provider agreements or in general. I was not aware that the 622/722 made any such distinction. It was my understanding (which I would be happy to be corrected on) that the unencrypted video output of content recorded on the internal HD or the EHD is identical. In other words, if the original programming stream contained CGMS flags, they would be recorded to the DVR, and if the programming did not contain CGMS, the DVR would not add it anywhere.

can you clarify for me? i have a sony dvd recorder but i can't record protected shows - are you saying i would be able to do so via s-vid in real time? i've tried with just RCA plugs, but on a recorded show with no luck.

Your problem is the Sony dvd recorder, a panasonic will work ok, my son had same problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)