Burned out Lamp in DLP!!!

crowhopper

Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Well, my Toshiba 62 HM95 DLP tv has blown its lamp. According to the owner's manual this kind of thing is to be expected at some point or another of the television's life cycle. The tv has a one year warranty, and mine is about 13 months old :( . My question is how and where to get the best price on a replacement lamp. I haven't a clue how to find one. Anybody know about finding one, and what to expect to pay?

Well, my Toshiba 62 HM95 DLP tv has blown its lamp. According to the owner's manual this kind of thing is to be expected at some point or another of the television's life cycle. The tv has a one year warranty, and mine is about 13 months old :( . My question is how and where to get the best price on a replacement lamp. I haven't a clue how to find one. Anybody know about finding one, and what to expect to pay?

Did you get an extended warranty?.If so some warranties replace the lamp.If not expect to pay between $250 to $300.This is the one drawback to microdisplays on the plus side once you replace the lamp your HDTV will look like brand new.Good Luck!:)

You might start with ebay to at least gauge the prices and maybe get model numbers. Here are two links for your TV:

Link one
Link two

As always, make sure you are comfortable with the seller before purchasing.

Thanks a lot guys. Just got off the phone with toshiba, and they said that there is an extension on the lamp warranty for some models due to a factory defect. I just have to get the serial number off of my tv and if it's within the correct range; then I'll get a free lamp. So if anyone else has a toshiba with lamp problems they may be part of the factory defect lot. Let's hope I'm one of those.

I didn't think DLP lamps blew that quickly. What type of tv's have longer lasting bulbs? No way am I wanting to replace a bulb THAT often!

I didn't think DLP lamps blew that quickly. What type of tv's have longer lasting bulbs? No way am I wanting to replace a bulb THAT often!

His Toshiba had to have a defective bulb as he stated.My son just bought a Sony50" SXRD LCOS 1080p display.The bulb is rated at 8,000 hours which is one of the longest ratings I've seen on a microdisplay.At that rate he would need a bulb replacement every 3 years.:)

Yep, bulb was defective. Toshiba is sending me one, on the house. Should be here in four business days. The owner's manual of the tv said the bulb life should be 6,000 to 8,000 hours, but the origninal warranty was for a year. Due to a defect the warranty was extended for a certain serial number range.

Anyone have any experience with this company? Good to deal with? I googled them, but some of the review comments seem to be duplicates. I need to order a spare JVC bulb, and they're $20 cheaper. That's less than 10% of the total cost, so I'm wavering if it's worth taking a chance dealing with a company I've never heard of.

One of my Samsung DLP's has over 6000 hrs and still cranking along hope didn't just jinx it

Mine was still working but the picture had gotten noticeably darker, called CC and they sent me out a new lamp under my extended warranty , took about a week. As soon as I get a couple hundred hrs on the new one I'll need to recalibrate.

NightRyder

Yep, bulb was defective. Toshiba is sending me one, on the house. Should be here in four business days. The owner's manual of the tv said the bulb life should be 6,000 to 8,000 hours, but the origninal warranty was for a year. Due to a defect the warranty was extended for a certain serial number range.

The way to extend the life of the bulb.Make sure the TV is not in an entertainment center and not getting any ventilation also check and see if there's a fan in the TV(most of them have a fan)even then get a cheap desk fan and run it to help keep that bulb cool.The cooler the bulb stays the longer the life of the bulb.:cool:

The way to extend the life of the bulb.Make sure the TV is not in an entertainment center and not getting any ventilation also check and see if there's a fan in the TV(most of them have a fan)even then get a cheap desk fan and run it to help keep that bulb cool.The cooler the bulb stays the longer the life of the bulb.:cool:

I'll add:

1. If you live in an area subject to power interruptions, get a UPS.
2. Limit the number of times the set is powered on and off during the day.

NightRyder

If one can get three years out of a lamp then that is not bad at all. I did not think that these newer types of televisions needed calibration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)