Burned out Lamp in DLP!!!

If one can get three years out of a lamp then that is not bad at all. I did not think that these newer types of televisions needed calibration.

I think your thinking of "alignment" like on the old CRT RP sets, and yes DLP, LCD and LCOS RP sets don't require "alignment", but all sets can benefit from "calibration" (setting contrast, brightness etc.). :)

NightRyder

I have the Toshiba 46HM95 and had a lamp go after about 10-11 months (about 2000hours). It was part of the defect lamp models. I've, since receiving the new bulb, switched to "low" lamp power. After a couple of days, I've gotten used to it and it should increase the bulb life by 25% or so. I have had the new lamp for about 4 months and so far, so good.

I have also heard that Toshiba's replacement bulbs sometimes have the same fault. The lamp model for these specific units seem to all have problems! Kinda discouraging, but at least it's a marginal cost and easy replacement. I might order a replacement to have on hand one of these days. I do wish I would have bought a plasma now, but at the time they were twice the price. :(

I have a 1994 Mitsubishi big screen and it has had an issue with it within the past few weeks. Maybe this is that realignment that you guys are talking about. There are a few areas where I see black, at the top and in the middle and it is kind of rounded like and moves the whole top of the picture down and some sort of line goes through the middle. That line in the middle moves around sometimes, down mostly and sometimes comes off the screen completely. The issue with the black thing that comes down into the screen/distortion sometimes goes to the bottom instead of at the top. Occassionally it all goes away. It seems as if something needs adjusted or something inside to fix the issue. Is this something I can do myself?

I have a 1994 Mitsubishi big screen and it has had an issue with it within the past few weeks. Maybe this is that realignment that you guys are talking about. There are a few areas where I see black, at the top and in the middle and it is kind of rounded like and moves the whole top of the picture down and some sort of line goes through the middle. That line in the middle moves around sometimes, down mostly and sometimes comes off the screen completely. The issue with the black thing that comes down into the screen/distortion sometimes goes to the bottom instead of at the top. Occassionally it all goes away. It seems as if something needs adjusted or something inside to fix the issue. Is this something I can do myself?

Just a guess here but I would say your TV is a CRT.Now with the CRT they have coolant in them(the CRTs).I was having a problem in mine(PhillipsMagnavox) 50"where I could see a green tint around people's bodies.The TV repairman said the coolant was bad.So he opened it up cleaned the mirror and the inside.Then replaced the coolant(around 20oz.in each CRT).Then did a total adjustment thru the service menu.This not only fixed my problem(it looked as good as a tube set) but made me realize this TV had a problem the day I bought it.It was probably made on a Friday.
If the TV you have is a tube set it sounds like it needs to be degaussed.Also the CRT's could be going out the reason it goes away is the tube is heating up.Unless
you have the knowledge of television repair I would call a TV repairman.
The cost to repair my TV was $300.To replace all 3 CRTs in my TV would be$1500.
which to me would be worth it because they don't make the square screen RPTVs
no more.But if you want a new HDTV I would think your TV is telling you it's time.:)

My Samsung went out last night. I've had it since March 2005. The indicator said it was the lamp. I got the replacement from the local service center but it doesn't look the same. The bulb is smaller and the housing is a little different. It does have the correct part number on it and it fits.
When I installed it I got the same error. Guess it is something else?

My Samsung went out last night. I've had it since March 2005. The indicator said it was the lamp. I got the replacement from the local service center but it doesn't look the same. The bulb is smaller and the housing is a little different. It does have the correct part number on it and it fits.

Think you need to contact Samsung.Is that the part number needed as described in your owners manual?.If you are getting the same error did you reset the counter?.You would think if it's the right one it would look exactly the same.Good Luck!:)

Three of my relatives have had DLP sets. ALL of them have gone through numerous bulbs. Two of them have now got Plasma sets and the third ALWAYS keeps an extra bulb on hand. I don't own one but there opinion is DLP is junk.

Three of my relatives have had DLP sets. ALL of them have gone through numerous bulbs. Two of them have now got Plasma sets and the third ALWAYS keeps an extra bulb on hand. I don't own one but there opinion is DLP is junk.

Generalizations like this are worthless. Using this logic anything with a lamp would be "junk", that would include all front projectors, and all rear projection DLP, LCD and LCOS sets. I can find first person horror stories about any type HDTV or SD technology including CRT and Plasma, so I guess no-one should buy anything, because they're all "junk" eh?

NightRyder

From what I have been reading CRT is the cheapest, has best picture quality, and the lamps last the longest. Is this totally correct or are there exceptions to this?

CRT RPTVs require quite a bit of maintenance and cleaning, including reconvergence, and tend to have geometry and viewing angle problems. Yes, I know, some swear otherwise. And replacing the "guns" is probably cost prohibitive, when they fade, since there are 3 highly driven CRTs in each CRT RPTV, not just lamps/light bulbs. Other RPTVs have lamps rated for around 4,000 to 8,000 hours. My 61" JVC is rated at 6,000 hours and I'm about to buy a spare to keep on hand for $230.

Some will declare CRT RPTVs have the best PQ. Doubtful, since they are fading from the market. Oh yeah, that's due to a conspiracy to make more profit, etc etc :rolleyes:

CRT RPTVs are almost off the market, and sold because they were cheap, for the most part. 9" guns from folks like Mits were good, but perhaps not quite as good as some would like to believe. Only the 9" guns could actually produce 1920x1080- the more common 7" guns were limited to more like 1440x1080. Now that you can get a microdisplay RPTV for not much more than a CRT RPTV, there's little reason for the CRT RPTV to exist.

Direct view CRTs are probably the best PQ. But I think the largest you can easily buy today is 32". I think the 36 inchers are all but gone from the market. So if you want a large screen, you won't be looking at direct view CRTs. This year we will see even the direct view CRTs start to disappear from store shelves, replaced by flat screen technologies.

LOTS of discussion on this at AVS. More than you want to know, liberally coated with heated emotions.

From what I have been reading CRT is the cheapest, has best picture quality, and the lamps last the longest. Is this totally correct or are there exceptions to this?

Well I will tell you want I think.It's a conspiracy!!!! LOL.Just kidding.Of course who
really knows?.:D

The only problem with CRT HDRPTV's is their big and heavy and take up alot of space.More space than a microdisplay especially the depth of the HDRPTV.The lamps last longer because they are not lamps but tubes hence the name Cathode
Ray Tube CRTs for short.They use more energy than a lamp but some models are Energy Star.They do last alot longer than the lamp TVs.It depends what your lifestyle is for me to suggest any TV for any person.

If you watch several hours of TV a day you would want a CRT.But if you play alot of video games you would want a microdisplay(no burn in factor).If your really trying to save space you would want a flat screen.But then again if you play video
games you would chose a LCD over the plasma.

Right now Hitachi,Phillips,RCA,and Magnavox still make CRT HDRPTVs.My uncle purchased the Magnavox 51"Widescreen HDRPTV and he loves it.I have seen the
HD picture on it and it looks like 3-D.Good Luck with your decision.:)

If a television was to be on 10-16 hours per day then what would be the best television in the long-haul? I am still trying to hold out for the laser tv that is supposed to have a real long life span. I want something that will last at least 7-10 years until the next best thing comes out without having to replace bulbs all the time and having to do maintenance often. If the television is not that expensive then replacing bulbs would not be as much of an issue.

I was going to get a projector but do they have a coax connection? I do not want to have to pay $300+ for a new bulb every 8 months and dont want issues with lighting in a room and I hear about different issues but hear its the best bang for the buck even with the bulb replacements with a screen it's size.

Televisions used to not be this hard to shop for. I would think that there would be something new that would come out that would replace all existing technology and everyone would adopt that same technology and it would make the decision making easier.

You probably want an LCD with LED backlighting. Not the best PQ, not the largest, but probably it will last your time frame without any maintenance.

BTW, there is a laser DLP on the market now, but the reviews panned it.

Front projectors have a rep for needing more frequent, and perhaps more expensive, lamp replacements. RPTVs might only need an easy to do lamp replacement every 6,000 hours or so, $250 or so. CRTs need more cleaning and maintenance. But if you're happy with 32" or less, maybe a direct view CRT from a reputable brand would also work, and last. But I doubt you'd put up with it for 7-10 years. You might be ahead to plan on a 5 year TV, especially if you pick a direct view CRT.

We could try to go over all the pros and cons here, but it's been done so much already. You'll get a feel for what YOU are comfortable with, and go with it, and be happy. There is a good selection out there. There is no one correct answer. All have their pluses and minuses, what counts is the one YOU feel has the best trade offs, not what I or anyone else prefers.

Eventually, we MIGHT settle down to a single technology again. But probably not. LCD is likely here to stay. If OLED comes out anything like is promised, it will likely be the big winner. But the technology is still evolving, and will for years. The Next Big Thing may be something we haven't even heard of.

Service Tech checked it out and the color wheel shattered. Thanks all.

Well, I've heard of bad bearings and motors, but this is the first I've heard of one shattering!

I'm sure you'll get years of service out of the replacement. But how likely is it that replacement color wheel assemblies for your model will be available in 5 or 10 years?

TVs with moving parts- what an odd concept! ;)

I heard that the LCD televisions brightness fade and once the pixels burn out there is nothing you can do about it.

If a television was to be on 10-16 hours per day then what would be the best television in the long-haul? I am still trying to hold out for the laser tv that is supposed to have a real long life span. I want something that will last at least 7-10 years until the next best thing comes out without having to replace bulbs all the time and having to do maintenance often. If the television is not that expensive then replacing bulbs would not be as much of an issue.

I was going to get a projector but do they have a coax connection? I do not want to have to pay $300+ for a new bulb every 8 months and dont want issues with lighting in a room and I hear about different issues but hear its the best bang for the buck even with the bulb replacements with a screen it's size.

Televisions used to not be this hard to shop for. I would think that there would be something new that would come out that would replace all existing technology and everyone would adopt that same technology and it would make the decision making easier.
If that's how long it's going to be on,get the CRT HDRPTV.For the price they can't be beat.Now if you like the RPTV you have it would probably cost $1500.to replace the CRTs still not that bad when you consider the options.
I had my RPTV cleaned and adjusted for $300. 4 years ago still looks awesome and it's not even HD.Have to recoverge it,not unless you move the TV or if there is
an earthquake my convergence is still on the money.
If your TV is the square screen TV like mine and if you don't like the widescreen like me then I would have the CRT's replaced like I plan to do.;)

P.S. My TV is on 18 hours a day.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)