Business Week, Next-Gen DVDs: Advantage, Sony

seminole2001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Earth
Next-Gen DVDs: Advantage, Sony

"The rumor is that Warner is coming aboard soon," says Michael Burns, vice-chairman of studio Lionsgate (LGF), which makes its movies available on the Sony-backed format. "That will make it awfully tough for HD DVD to stay in this game." (Sony declined to comment, and Toshiba only would say it is "in regular contact with the studios.")

Ah yes -- the HD-DVD generation has spoke -- the we are wining even though we are behind in both players in the homes and disc sales.

Another Warner rumor? About once a month.

You know what they say about scuttlebutt.....

Even if there's nothing to it, it probably keeps coming up because it makes sense, as I said in another thread: if Warner wants format (which it seems they do), the quickest way to get there is for them to jump on the Blu bandwagon.

Even if there's nothing to it, it probably keeps coming up because it makes sense, as I said in another thread: if Warner wants format (which it seems they do), the quickest way to get there is for them to jump on the Blu bandwagon.

It makes sense for them to jump to the side that has complete specs and working interactivity. You know the one thing that truly makes them next generation formats

The thing with that, though, is BD cannot do internet connectivity and that is an optional standard, not mandatory.

Last edited:
The thing with that, though is that BD cannot do internet connectivity and that is an optional standard, not mandatory.

It makes sense for them to jump to the side that has complete specs and working interactivity. You know the one thing that truly makes them next generation formats

I'm not arguing specs here. Just look at the studios on both sides right now. Warner going to the HD side would bring things pretty close to even, causing the battle to last longer. Them going to BD would dramatically shift the balance and (one would think) signal the beginning of the end for HD.

I'm not arguing specs here. Just look at the studios on both sides right now. Warner going to the HD side would bring things pretty close to even, causing the battle to last longer. Them going to BD would dramatically shift the balance and (one would think) signal the beginning of the end for HD.

With Warner it is all about capabilites. Always has been. If Warner went HD DVD, Disney would follow, guaranteed. Or at least go neutral.

I still don't think this is more than the monthly garbage of Warner going exclusive or Disney going exclusive.

Last edited:
Warner is not going anywhere, they sell the most on both formats and right now that lion's share is over 30% of all disc sold on both formats. Why change?

Warner is not going anywhere, they sell the most on both formats and right now that lion's share is over 30% of all disc sold on both formats. Why change?

Because they'd rather have 25 or 30% of a bigger part of the overall market than to maintain 30% of the 1-2% HD is getting now. If they think having one format will grow the business overall, why wouldn't they?

I really think you guys over estimate this whole interactivity thing. Almost everyone I know has never watched the extra content on DVDs. I am not interested in it, I want to watch a movie, I don't want it to be a game, I want to go away for 2 hours and let someone else do the driving. Wait and see if this internet thing catches on it will be used for marketing crap to you, or limiting or monitoring your usage. But that is just my opinion.

Because they'd rather have 25 or 30% of a bigger part of the overall market than to maintain 30% of the 1-2% HD is getting now. If they think having one format will grow the business overall, why wouldn't they?
Maybe because all the promises (techno stuff) by the BD group have not been fulfilled. I bet they are waiting to make sure these promises come true before making a decision.

I really think you guys over estimate this whole interactivity thing. Almost everyone I know has never watched the extra content on DVDs. I am not interested in it, I want to watch a movie, I don't want it to be a game, I want to go away for 2 hours and let someone else do the driving. Wait and see if this internet thing catches on it will be used for marketing crap to you, or limiting or monitoring your usage. But that is just my opinion.

i couldnt agree more, just give me the movies and maybe some outtakes and im happy never watch/play anything other then those.

Blu-ray > HD-DVD (from Home Media Magazine)

CNET's current highest rated HDTV is 720p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)