Buy today: HD-DVR or SD-DVR and H20?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

digideal

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
Thoughts? I would love to get the HD-DVR but I think that would be a waste for $300 bucks right now, to turn around in a few months and order the new MPG4 version for another $300 - $600.

I first thought of buying both the H20 and the existing HD-DVR and am now thinking of a SD DVR box and an H20 to get some kind of recording functionality. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

IMHO, I would go with the H20 (if you need HD LIL) or just a regular HD receiver and DVR and see what those other devices do around or just after the holidays.

I was able to get in on the "free" HD-Tivo, so am enjoying it while I can. Since it cost me nothing, I had nothing to lose. If I have to pay full price to upgrade to the new HD-DVR, so be it.

Based on my experience with the new SD-DVR I had installed last week, I'm dreading losing the Tivo functionality. I absolutely hate the new DVR...

scottie_h said:
I was able to get in on the "free" HD-Tivo, ...

Are you a new sub? that's my biggest question. I will call and see if I can swing a new - sub discount with the Free HD-Tivo with the purchase of the ticket and report my outcome.

Got it to work! Check out the stickie in the main D* forum regarding HD-DVR blow out. It worked for me as a new sub. awesome!

I haven't posted in awhile however DirectV can't force you to upgrade from the Tivo with a charge can they? If they want us to go MPeg4 wouldn't they have to front the bill?

Granted I know they could pull the HD channels from Mpeg 2 and "force me to switch" but wouldn't that void their agreement with me thereby allowing me to go elsewhere?

digideal said:
Thoughts? I would love to get the HD-DVR but I think that would be a waste for $300 bucks right now, to turn around in a few months and order the new MPG4 version for another $300 - $600.

I first thought of buying both the H20 and the existing HD-DVR and am now thinking of a SD DVR box and an H20 to get some kind of recording functionality. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

i called last night and got the H10-250 free, i just had to pay s/h and for a antenna.i called about 6 times and recieved a different price each time. when i called last night i told the guy i just want the best price i could get without having to call every day and he gave me it for just the price of s/h. all this took 2 minutes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV Installer!!!GRrrr

Can you simply split the D* signal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)