C Band dish removal questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WCSD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2016
California
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I'm a general contractor and I partner with a satellite dish removal company that subcontracts work out in my area that usually has me remove the smaller dishes like HD's and Slimlines, etc. Actually I don't know much about satellite dishes at all, I mainly do carpentry but remove dishes on the weekends for extra cash. Maybe you guys can help answer a couple questions.

The removal company sent me a lead for a job that involves removing a C Band dish from a second-story, including the pole down to grade. My two main concerns are electrical and weight. The smaller dishes I'm used to removing are low voltage and just get terminated where they enter the home. What voltage should I expect on this C Band dish? Doing electrical work isn't that much of a concern, I want to know ahead of time in case I need to plan on installing a junction box or if there is any complicated high voltage I am unaware of associated with C Band dishes.

My main concern though is weight. I don't have a helper for these projects and have to plan ahead. What do these usually weigh? Even a rough number is fine, I realize different brands weigh differently but does it weigh 100 lbs? 200? 400? I have no idea. Do they usually bolt together and come apart easily or are they one-piece? I can use my sawzall and cut it into fifty pieces if I need to.

Here is a picture I was sent of the dish. Any advice you guys can give would be helpful. Sorry I can't give any specific information about brand, material, size.. Thanks in advance!

untitled.png

Brian would be able to help you more than I can but I save those dishes you can get free programming on them better than what you get on Dish or Directv. Welcome to the site also.

That one would be fun! Mesh dish isn't that heavy, but if you're alone it'd be tricky. I would take the motor off the back, let the dish swing all the way down where you can reach the bolts. Usually they're just 4 quarters, or panels bolted together. Bolts may be rusty, and twist off. Once you get down to the center ring, you can begin to take it apart, or sawzall the lnb support pipe off near the ring. Once the dish itself is off, you're left with the heavy part-the polar mount (what the dish is attached to and pivots on). Usually 4 bolts clamping it to the support pipe, and you can loosen those if you need to, early in the process to keep yourself from getting too close
to the edge. Use caution!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!

Yes they come apart in sections. If I were doing that two story job myself and was not going to hire a crane, I would take it apart section by section.(4).
Take the motor/actuator off first then the sections and the button mount(holding the feed-horn in the middle). Then take a rope and lower each section on down to the ground one at a time.
About 20 lbs per section. Take the mount off last, it will be heavier but not bad.
No high voltage, all low voltage, but I would make sure it was disconnected first anyway.
Sawzall the pole and patch the roof.
Save the dish if you can, several would be glad to have it if in good shape. :)

Boy that's a good one. Dude comes in an FTA forum wanting info on how to destroy what appears to be a nice 10ft (or larger) satellite dish??? :wtf You couldn't make that shirt up! :facepalm

And BTW, that looks very much like that Raydx dish I have and if it is, it's nothing like a regular polar mount dish as far as assembly goes. Took 4 ppl to get mine off a post at ground level.

Thanks for the input. The removal does not include patching the roof or any other repairs. I thought about renting a lift but there is no access because of stairs and a narrow opening in a block wall. My only option would be to hire a crane but I don't think it's in the budget.

If I could save it I would and resell for extra cash, but I have to plan on cutting it into pieces if it does not come apart. You never know and hope it comes apart easily and intact but if it doesn't I wouldn't stop in the middle of a job just to try and save something I may only be able to sell for the same amount as hiring a helper. It's a business and you just have to push through, get it done and get paid and move onto the next job. Any idea what it would sell for intact?

Likely the dish would be would be a Craigslist freebie or $100. Not much demand unless you find one of us hobbyists.

I just rented a 75' boom truck for $250 for the 4 hour minimum. Boomed over the roof from the front driveway and dropped the dish onto a waiting truck. Had the lift done in 30 minutes. Figured that it saved me at least 6+ hours. Had I not needed a specific appointment, the crane op would have done it for $125 and tack it on the end of another job with a 1 hour notice. Boom trucks are often available via tree trimmers. Their cost usually is lower than the guys who lift trusses, HVAC, etc.

The only concern I see with a lift is,which side of the street are those power lines ?If you have to lift over the lines you're gonna need a bigger crane.

Should be fairly easy to take down rather than install that high. Once you remove the actuator tube and loosen the bolts that attach the mount to the pole, the dish will turn around and you can flip it over on the mount in order to remove the panels one by one. If you have a helper you may be able to lift the dish (without the mount) in one piece and lower it to the ground. I can lift my 7 1/2 foot mesh without the mount. I would consider a sheet of plywood on the roof so you can distribute the weight and not break the tiles. Where is this, in the San Diego area?

I wonder what kind of bracing/strapping it may have underneath the roofing.Heck, the pipe could be welded to a sheet metal plate that spans 2 or more rafters.

I wouldn't touch it without a boom truck or crane.Chain the whole dish tight to the boom, then saw off the pole above the roof tile and remove it in one piece. I'd chance destroying the dish rather than walking on that tile. Then you can saw the pole below the eve and go from there.

In this case, the possible $ damage to the roof far out-weighs the value of the dish.

If I was the home owner I would consider keeping the pole in place.At least 1 foot above the roof.Would be handy for attaching an OTA antenna or even a pizza dish some time in the future.

Just my 2 cents...Personally, I wouldn't attempt that job. Old fat men don't do high roof jobs. ;)

Reactions: KE4EST
These things are easy to take down. Depends if you want to keep it in good shape.

No voltage. I'm sure its a dead dish.

If it was me
remove the reflector first it is light. Comes off in one part. You will see it bolted around the ring. Around 4-6 bolts
remove the ring next. It will be heavy.

Job should take u tops 3 hours. If you dont care you should have it down in an hour.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)