C band scaler question

sanpat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Rockport Tx.
Setting up a 10 ft channel master dish ,I want to install a titanium c138 my question is the original scaler matched to the dish or do I install the c138 with it's scaler ,or can i install the c138 on original cm scaler ?

Setting up a 10 ft channel master dish ,I want to install a titanium c138 my question is the original scaler matched to the dish or do I install the c138 with it's scaler ,or can i install the c138 on original cm scaler ?
Use the scalar that comes with the c138, it would work best.

If the scalar is matched to the reflector FD, I would recommend using the existing scalar with any replacement feedhorn. The scalar provided with the C138 / C238 is a generic C-band frequency unit cast for a typical prime focus FD / FL. If you have the time, I would test both to see which scalar provides best SNR on several test transponders on multiple satellites. You will find that scalars and the feedhorn placement play an important role in the main lobe beam shaping and side lobe attenuation.

Reactions: clucas
If the scalar is matched to the reflector FD, I would recommend using the existing scalar with any replacement feedhorn. The scalar provided with the C138 / C238 is a generic C-band frequency unit cast for a typical prime focus FD / FL. If you have the time, I would test both to see which scalar provides best SNR on several test transponders on multiple satellites. You will find that scalars and the feedhorn placement play an important role in the main lobe beam shaping and side lobe attenuation.
thanks for input i will try both

Started to reply last night. For all it's worth I tried it both ways. The one you have on the dish. Probably had a Polorotor attached. It will be just fine. And if so it's already positioned correctly. Just look out for the fd position suggestion. Use it for a starting position.
A little in/out and adjusting skew to get H/V signal strength balance to get the best signal. Lock it in place but don't smash the lnbf tube with the screws. That would be a bad thing. Even a little bit.