Status
Please reply by conversation.

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
Forgive me for my ignorance, but I've perused the posts and lists here but can't find a set answer to a question I have.

I'm a history teacher, and am tired of DirecTV's poor SD quality feeds of C-SPAN. Is it possible to receive C-SPAN's 3 networks (C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, and C-SPAN3) in HD with a FTA setup?

I'm pondering picking up a FTA system and know someone who can install it, but I wanted to see if these might be options before I looked into it further?

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I've perused the posts and lists here but can't find a set answer to a question I have.
I'm a history teacher, and am tired of DirecTV's poor SD quality feeds of C-SPAN. Is it possible to receive C-SPAN's 3 networks (C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, and C-SPAN3) in HD with a FTA setup?
I'm pondering picking up a FTA system and know someone who can install it, but I wanted to see if these might be options before I looked into it further?
I believe the only C-Span channel that is in the clear on FTA is the original C-Span analog on 131W. You would need an old analog setup to get it and there's no guarantee how long it will be there. Most analog channels are gone now (I think there are only two left) with the conversion to digital broadcasting.:(

Is it possible to receive C-SPAN's 3 networks (C-SPAN, C-SPAN2, and C-SPAN3) in HD with a FTA setup?
I doubt that will ever happen as the owner of the broadcast rights* is a consortium of cable/satellite companies. IIRR the full 3 channels are DCII** and if they are 'in the clear' it would require a DCII receiver that has a good receiver ID #. (I don't have one - so will have to wait for someone that does - to fill in that blank. If not 'in the clear, it's not available, without a subscription service.
*sometimes referred to as provider. A provider may also be a rebroadcaster that has paid a fee to the content owner for rebroadcast rights. I.E: cable company

I also cannot confirm if the one channel that was available in analog NTSC is still there or not. My analog receivers have been in retirement for quite a few yrs now.
Too bad you're not a science teacher, NASA TV is available.
Guess I just had to comment on the 'availability'' and tried to validate it.

Thanks to both of you...I thought that was the case based on my research but I wanted confirmation from those more experienced in the FTA world. I thought I might have missed something as many of the "lists" are outdated.

At this point, your best bet of having access to all three of the C-SPANs in HD is to live in an area with access to cable TV from Charter or Bright House. Those are the only major cable providers so far to carry the three C-SPAN channels in HD on a majority of their systems. Time Warner Cable has the next greatest coverage of any major provider. After that, providers either carry just C-SPAN1 in HD or don't provide any of the channels in HD.

I have Charter where I live. I realize the C-SPANs have pretty "niche" programming that isn't going to have mass appeal, but I'm can't lie, I was pretty ecstatic when Charter started carrying all three C-SPANs in HD here a few months ago. C-SPAN's political coverage is second to none, and I especially enjoy American History TV on C-SPAN3 every weekend.

Exactly... You can watch real events and historical footage without 500 pundits analyzing every word. I enjoyed the POTUS channel on Sirius XM for this purpose as well, but satellite radio got too pricey for me. Their cheaper small packages don't include POTUS. I do miss their "Morning Briefing" show though, better than C-SPAN's Washington Journal now IMO.

Cspan analog is still alive and well on AMC 11 @131w tp 7.The digital feeds are on AMC 10@135w, DCII,SD&HD encrypted and require a commercial receiver,a 4DTV won't work even if they were in the clear.
Oh,and the other last analog channel is QVC on AMC 10 tp 9.

Reactions: Titanium
Not directly related, but C-Span is about to start (or might have already started) hiding the online streams of its channels behind a subscription log-in screen.

You'll need a cable/satellite subscription to watch them online, like many of the sports and entertainment channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)