C versus KU

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
Which band is most popular world wide? I think here in N America C-band has more to offer. In the few years I have been into FTA it seems to me that the KU stuff has been more reliable to receive and greater longevity.Set up cost and ease of use is also easier with a KU set up also.

I think C-band is popular around the world by many broadcasters, because it resists from raining and allows for larger footprints than any other satellite bands. That's why there's lots of channels and feeds on C-band. Europe is the exception; many European broadcasters use Ku-band. With many channels and feeds, Ku-band is more popular in Europe for two reasons: less raining than the rest of the world and the easy installation of small Ku dishes. That's what I know of.

I'd say that the reasons for having satellite reception devices, and the 'services' available are quite different in the rest of the world(as compared to N.A.)
Seems like 97W more resembles the 'worlds model', of television transmission, to the masses. Providers delivering their product directly. (Eu also has 'pay services' as well)
But, the U.S. is not one to follow standards adopted by the rest of the world. Example: ATSC here, DVB-T in most the rest of the world.
But maybe things will change: [h=3]New Retro TV Channels Coming in 2014[/h]C band is a standard that won't go away soon, for its dependability(rain fade resistant).

Which band is most popular world wide?
For commercial use, I would think C band.
For end users, I would say Ku band, due to smaller dishes.

I think here in N America C-band has more to offer.
For end user FTA?
just a few years ago, I thought the choice was Ku.
Today, it seems to be trending toward C band.
Maybe 50:50? ;)

In the few years I have been into FTA it seems to me that the KU stuff has been more reliable to receive and greater longevity.
Set up cost and ease of use is also easier with a KU set up also.
Ku is LESS reliable in the rain.
But the work and cost to set up a motorized Ku is probably less.

Think it comes down to what you want, and how much work/money you are willing to invest. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.