Came home to a DTN dish (newer style) on my porch! What should I use it for?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Given I have (2) of the older DTN's deployed (Channel Masters as you know) for PBS and for NBC Ku feeds,
Would this dish and it's included NORSAT LNB be any better for weak signals on a single polarity than our consumer ones?

Should I deploy it fixed for better PBS signals?
Motorize it for scanning? (I don't do that much, my birdview does the Ku and C scanning)..

I guess what I'm asking is how should this dish perform compared to the smaller round Channel Master ones, and would you change the LNB
for a new one, or use it on a fixed polarity as is?

I've not worked with the single-arm DTN dishes, always the round 3-arm support ones by Channel Master.
A friend of mine's Dad was sent this to upgrade, then they apparently kept the old dish in place when DTN installed in his second location. I like Santa bringing dishes in April!

Fun project to come...no matter how it gets deployed.

Attachments

• 0406141335a.jpg
    0406141335a.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 351
What size are the Ch Masters?...Myself here I keep a 1 meter parked on AMC 21 with no probs!...Motorizing is a great option for a commercial dish....Have a Fasco 12v DC with a 133-1 gear ratio gear box.Found a spur gear with 74 teeth off an injection molding machine!.I will build a H-H just for this and post pics.

You have a single polarity setup?...Better off with a Invacom with C120 flange wether it be a quattro or qph..Not seen a better performer.

What are the dimensions of that elliptical? If smaller than an 84e don't think it would do that well on 125w. (whoops, got one there) Maybe parked on 97W? Or 30W?
DTN, re-aimed and serviced many. G3 Ku opposite polarity of CCTV. Was easier tuning that with an analog receiver BITD. Then twist the lnb back and connect to their receiver.

My CM's are 30" I believe, or the ".75m" and they work well.
This is just a new playtoy, with a blank canvas of what to do with it!

Can you see 30W from where you are easy, Jim?

Its possible! I have a stand of trees to the east, but...they're a good 150 or more feet away! I'll do a survey and see! What's there I should consider?

Preparations begin for the DTN to go in! We finally got GREAT weather. It won't last, but the dish will be ready to go
on the new post....for whatever it gets used-for. Maybe just music feeds...
My buddy that says he won't plow my drive if I add any more...is not plowing any more. So, no worries.

Attachments

• P4110564.JPG
    P4110564.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 249
  • P4110566.JPG
    P4110566.JPG
    600.8 KB · Views: 273
Well, the dish is "on" the pole now....

Looks like fun to perhaps compare this dish and it's supplied original Feed to the DTN "round" version on PBS and see which does 125 better....

Especially since if I read the "list" correctly, most of the PBS I'd normally use is vertical polarity, and the dish is set for that to begin with.

That MAY be the first use of this dish, though I'd like to find an exact bolt-on replacement for this LNB that covers both polarities. I think
there are some threads with this here...and will be searching.

With COZI being so finicky lately, I may re-aim the Cozi dish for PBS, freeing up the current round CM/DTN dish AND this one for other Ku...have not decided yet, but the install is fun!

Attachments

• LABELED DISHES.JPG
    LABELED DISHES.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 385
Last edited:
does the new dish skew as a whole or does just the LNB skew?

I know the Shaw Direct dishes (which are CM dishes too) the whole dish assembly can skew.

Especially since if I read the "list" correctly, most of the PBS I'd normally use is vertical polarity, and the dish is set for that to begin with.
yes most of the PBS stuff is vertical polarity

Very nice setup by the way

RT-yes, the wires go to our towers for WION-AM and our FM translator!
Ice: Yes, the whole dish can skew! I wasn't expecting that setup! I'm thinking I can leave the LNB "as assembled" and just skew the whole thing?

Thanks for the kind words on the setup! I think it'll grow a bit this year, and I'm finding that I really "don't" need motorized Ku, as most of my Ku
can be confined to just a few dishes and switches, and there's plenty of room! I've learned much here on this site. I'd LOVE to switch to an 8-place diseqc vs.
a 22khz switch feeding 2 other diseqcs, it may speed up the switching between dishes...not sure.

Need to move the motor control into our new station apartment. it's still in the station RV...but that waits for time to bury cable and re-route the whole
thing. (it has some extra circuits to adapt the mover to the birdview system, involving a mechanical relay...to overcome the issues that 5kw of RF on our
satellite lines causes.

I went to an 8x1 diseqc a few years ago and never looked back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts