Can a 721 Receiver be Activated?

Race

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I have a 721 receiver I want to put on eBay, but don't know if Dish is allowing new activations on them. (I don't want to sell it to someone if they can't activate it when they receive it.)

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Call DISH and ask for a definitive answer. I believe strict interpretation says no but DISH is interpreting it as long as the 721/921 and 942 were previously activated they can reactivate them on a different account. Only a "new" never activated receiver is prohibited.

Thanks for the info. I would hate to sell it and then the buyer not be able to activate it.

I've seen other used ones listed, but I don't know what is happening when the buyers try it.

Maybe I'll list it with the caveat that Dish may not activate it and it could be used for replacement parts for another 721.

Thanks for the info. I would hate to sell it and then the buyer not be able to activate it.

I've seen other used ones listed, but I don't know what is happening when the buyers try it.

Maybe I'll list it with the caveat that Dish may not activate it and it could be used for replacement parts for another 721.

There is no lack of satellite receivers for sale on ebay that cannot be activated.

I bought a Globestar receiver on ebay, only to find out that only very recent models are allowed to be activated, and so I have a nice doorstop now (fortunately it was cheap).

Is DISH replacing a deactivated 721 PVR with the 522 DVR? What about the monthly DVR fee that the 721 does not have and every other two tuner does have? Is DISH waiving this fee?

It's all "let the buyer beware" on Ebay. The only thing you'd have against the seller is if it wasn't a 721 that you received if a 721 was advertised.

Sure, in my opinion, if the seller knew it couldn't be activated before sale that would be morally wrong. But they may have had it sitting around for some time and not have been aware of it.

Just don't resell it yourself if you find that the answer is "no".

So if I have a 721 that paid for over $500 and only gets activated when my other receivers fail or when I have guests stay for for extend period I'm SOL?

There is no lack of satellite receivers for sale on ebay that cannot be activated.

I bought a Globestar receiver on ebay, only to find out that only very recent models are allowed to be activated, and so I have a nice doorstop now (fortunately it was cheap).
Im guessing at this but I believe his concern is with the tivo lawsuit issue though I cant see any other reason why dish wouldnt activate a 721 new or used as long as it doesnt hold a balance.

I did what OP "RACE" didn't,I contacted DISH for their answer. DISH will no longer activate the 721/921 & 942 on new accounts due to the TiVo decision. Existing owners can reactivate them on their accounts but they can no longer switch them to new accounts. If you see one on EBAY stay well away from it you are wasting your money. The 921 & 942 can't even be used for recording OTA without activation.:):):)

So you mean to tell me that after paying over $500 for the 721, I cannot deactivate it and reactivate it again on my account or other account, and that they are not going to replace it with another receiver (like a 522) even though it is their fault as to why it can no longer be activated? That sounds like a class action lawsuit. Why should the consumer pay for Dish Network's mistakes?

If you want to get something out of it, pull the Hard Drive out and use it in a computer. It's at least a 120gig, not bad. Everything electronic these days depreciates fast. A computer you spent $1000 dollars on 5 years a go probably isn't worth $100 today.

So you mean to tell me that after paying over $500 for the 721, I cannot deactivate it and reactivate it again on my account or other account, and that they are not going to replace it with another receiver (like a 522) even though it is their fault as to why it can no longer be activated? That sounds like a class action lawsuit. Why should the consumer pay for Dish Network's mistakes?

Please learn to read.

Boba just stated:

Existing owners can reactivate them on their accounts but they can no longer switch them to new accounts.

PS You can't sue someone for obeying a court order ! :rolleyes:

Ouch!!! :eek: :shocked :yikes

Unfortunately it's that DISH "HAS" to comply with that court order. Following the law, even if it hurts customers, is not optional. They cannot legally activate you even if you threaten a lawsuit.

Possibly you could try to push this with Ebay and possibly paypal (if you used them) to show some kind of fraud on the sellers part, but more than likely you'd just had an expensive "lesson".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)