can a SWiM 16 be mounted outside

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It can be at the pole as long as the correct weather tight connectors are used.

At the pole? Or does it need to be inside the home, protected from the elements?

It can be at the pole but you're not getting a tech to install it there. It needs to be 1) mounted to the house 2) mounted in the attic or 3) mounted in the crawl where water won't get to it if it floods. That's a large switch to mount on a pole plus the splitters that hook to it. It'd look horrible

You could mount it to the pole, then run one cable from each side to splitters in the house, couldn't you? I'm guessing the op can't run new cables to the house without a lot of problems.

You could mount it to the pole, then run one cable from each side to splitters in the house, couldn't you? I'm guessing the op can't run new cables to the house without a lot of problems.

Nope. Mounting a SWM 8/16 to a pole is not even easily doable. That's a big switch to mount for starters and its an instant failed QC. The QC guidelines directv has adopted has made it to where all installs look the same. Anything that doesn't fall in that QC is considered fail and could get a tech in some trouble/termed

I was speaking from a "is it possible" position. I don't know anything about the in house policies for installations.

The dish is on a pole about 25 away from the house. There are 2 cables running from the dish to the house. (Only one is currently being used). I was just trying to see if there was a way to upgrade without me having to trench another 25 feet of dual cable. (I buried the cable the last time so the tech would not charge me for a pole mount).

While it could be done I think you're better off trenching the cable. The SWM16 gets hot even indoors, and in a summer sun it would get very hot and likely shorten its life.

If you need it outside it can do it, but it is generally better to have it indoors if you can.

Hmm, I guess I may have found out why I keep getting 771 errors on only my HR34 and not on any of the other boxes but unplugging/repowering the SWM fixes it. My SWiM16 is mounted outside on the back wall of the house with the power inserter plugged into an outside outlet,exposed to all the elements. I even questioned it at the time of the install and was assured that it was SOP to mount them to the exterior wall.

Hmm, I guess I may have found out why I keep getting 771 errors on only my HR34 and not on any of the other boxes but unplugging/repowering the SWM fixes it. My SWiM16 is mounted outside on the back wall of the house with the power inserter plugged into an outside outlet,exposed to all the elements. I even questioned it at the time of the install and was assured that it was SOP to mount them to the exterior wall.

It is SOP to mount them on the wall it's NOT SOP to have the power plugged in to an outside outlet. That's just asking for trouble

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)