Can I backfeed a TV2 Out Standard Def feed from a Hopper?

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
Hello, can I backfeed a SD feed from the hopper to another TV in the house that only needs SD like I would do now on my VIP 622 when i setup the TV2 out modulator? If I can, as long as I have a remote in the SD room will I be able to change channels without interfering with channels on the TV 1 HD feed at the receiver?

Easily, no. Supported, no. Can it be done, yes. You would require an RCA cable(long) and possibly a RCA to COAX converter(not easy to find in my experience).

Bummer! So the 622, 722 can both backfeed and support 2 TVs with different channels then the hopper comes along, it cost's more $ per month and it only sources 1 TV instead of 2? Man, that stinks. Why moved backwards? Why not keep offering TV2 out for the folks that only need a SD source?

I do it on my single hopper, no Joey setup. I use a composite to rf and the diplexors from my 722. Has been working great for me. I even split the rf output for 2 TVs downstream.
I am finding the remote in dish anywhere app is pretty usable for the remote tv.
As noted, the hopper rf doesn't output a separate channel, it only mirrors the main tv.

Bummer! So the 622, 722 can both backfeed and support 2 TVs with different channels then the hopper comes along, it cost's more $ per month and it only sources 1 TV instead of 2? Man, that stinks. Why moved backwards? Why not keep offering TV2 out for the folks that only need a SD source?
It being whole home, I think it's forward. The 722 gave one HD and one SD.

It being whole home, I think it's forward. The 722 gave one HD and one SD.

yea it's forward in that regard, but backward in the other...it creates a case where you are forced to pay $7/month for a joey capable of HD when in many cases folks may only need the TV2 backfeed in SD, which would not cost any additional $ for that 2nd TV...

I do it on my single hopper, no Joey setup. I use a composite to rf and the diplexors from my 722. Has been working great for me. I even split the rf output for 2 TVs downstream.
I am finding the remote in dish anywhere app is pretty usable for the remote tv.
As noted, the hopper rf doesn't output a separate channel, it only mirrors the main tv.

so you are backfeeding using your old diplexers and then splitting it out to multiple TVs for SD feed on them. Does the Hopper have a coax output that you run into your diplexers or do you have to output on composite and then convert to coax before diplexer?

yea it's forward in that regard, but backward in the other...it creates a case where you are forced to pay $7/month for a joey capable of HD when in many cases folks may only need the TV2 backfeed in SD, which would not cost any additional $ for that 2nd TV...

Because fortunately or unfortunately, the backfeeding and distributing NTSC over coax as a second TV solution is a very, very rare and niche use case. If you notice, DirecTV has never really had that functionality, and neither has digital cable. It's cheaper and easier for them to produce a box that simply provides the same, fully featured service at every additional TV outlet rather than have to work around hacky solutions like backfeeding and modulated TV signals. New TVs don't even tune NTSC, so it would only work for older TVs.

True. But many customers still have those older TV's and use that backfeed signal to avoid having to pay for another receiver. I understand the logic, but thought it would be nice if that feature still existed...

thanks for the input, appreciate it guys

True. But many customers still have those older TV's and use that backfeed signal to avoid having to pay for another receiver. I understand the logic, but thought it would be nice if that feature still existed...

thanks for the input, appreciate it guys
I'm doubting there are many CRT tvs in very many houses these days.
I can honestly say, I don't know Anyone who has one anymore.
Rear Projection sets, yes I know a few, But they are still HD sets and few and far between.
$160 will buy you a 32inch Element tv from Walmart.
And that's not a black Friday special.

Reactions: ChadT41
New TVs don't even tune NTSC, so it would only work for older TVs.

Never heard of such a thing on any current HDTV's w/tuners; I've scanned many a new TV & they all STILL pick up analog signals...I know this because I usually have to delete our local PBS ch 8 analog translator after it scans. You care to share any models of such TV's???

I have been do this for many years, I have hws and super Joey. Both have an output to standard. I have an rf 3 input rf modulator, I send each on a different analog channel to 3 lcd TV. I also just purchase viso TV which still have analog.
For hd, I use a hdmi spliter and 50 feet hdmi cable. All work great.
There are digital modulater but, they are very prices.

Never heard of such a thing on any current HDTV's w/tuners; I've scanned many a new TV & they all STILL pick up analog signals...I know this because I usually have to delete our local PBS ch 8 analog translator after it scans. You care to share any models of such TV's???

My 2 year old Samsung LED 65" 3D TV does not have an NTSC tuner. It will only tune ATSC and Clear QAM

Well that's mighty interesting...because I just pulled the user manual on a brand new 65" Samsung 4K HDTV UN65JS8500FXZA, & even IT can (still) pull in analog channels via it's tuner. (see page 90 where it talks about editing analog channels)

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201509/20150914125600079/ENG-US_HMUATSCJ-1.315-0907.pdf

*shrug* that doesn't mean that TVs out there aren't dropping it. And who is buying an HDTV and sending an RF, SD signal to it anyway?

*shrug* that doesn't mean that TVs out there are dropping it.

I'm not so sure...the point I'm trying to make, is that I believe the FCC has NOT, in fact, relaxed their rules re: analog tuning capabilities in any TV's that have built-in tuners. IOW, if you're putting A tuner in ANY TV made today, it has to do BOTH analog & ATSC OTA signals...due to the fact there are still LOTS of low-powered analog TV stations & translators still on the air to this day.
(& FWIW, I'd be willing to bet you $10 that if you tried it, even YOUR TV would pick up analog signals...)

And who is buying an HDTV and sending an RF, SD signal to it anyway?

Not the point; see above re: analog stations

I'm not so sure...the point I'm trying to make, is that I believe the FCC has NOT, in fact, relaxed their rules re: analog tuning capabilities in any TV's that have built-in tuners. IOW, if you're putting A tuner in ANY TV made today, it has to do BOTH analog & ATSC OTA signals...due to the fact there are still LOTS of low-powered analog TV stations & translators still on the air to this day.
(& FWIW, I'd be willing to bet you $10 that if you tried it, even YOUR TV would pick up analog signals...)

Not the point; see above re: analog stations

That's certainly not the case because TiVos don't tune analog at all (and I know that for a fact)