Can I get locals spotbeams of SF in Seattle?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I know Dish has all but abandoned the spotbeams as my bro is able to do the address trick now and gets his SF sports from locals in San Fran now in Idaho.

However I am a pure Direct HD mark and know that since about 2003 you could not do the address trick for locals as the beam only covered to about southern Oregon.

I am wondering if with HD locals and such if this has changed? Anyone know? I could try transponder signal check but I dont know what one? Just be cool to get my SF locals again here in Seattle.

Thanks!

I know Dish has all but abandoned the spotbeams as my bro is able to do the address trick now and gets his SF sports from locals in San Fran now in Idaho.

Dish hasnt abandoned the spot beam. They use those all the time for SDS locals and now the new HD locals for eastern arc.. The HD locals are usually not on spotbeam and the ones on 129 arent as there are no spotbeams on 129

also, SF locals are on All American Direct as distants. You sure he doesnt have those as both SF SD & HD locals through Dish are on spotbeams

Dish has the San Francisco locals available because they leased a transponder to All American Direct which carries San Fran and Atlanta locals. They did this after Dish was forced to stop providing distant network signals, so that's how he can get SFO locals, and they're only SD, no HD. Dish has not stopped using spot beams, in fact they're increasing their use.

As for DirecTV they do use spots for San Francisco and it's very doubtful that they'd reach Seattle.

He does get both SD and HD San Fran stations. I have seen and verifyed this. Interesting. Too bad as I HATE Seattle locals. But LOVE Directv. So no switching for me.

Thanks guys!

How about FTA, Is there backhaul feeds possibly of SF bay area? Have not played with my FTA in a couple years. I have it hooked to my big old Orbitron dish and Chapparel Monteray 90 piggybacked.

My nieghbor(a cop none-the less) who uses a FTA Pansat receiver in ways I will not ever do is the one that showed me TONS of locals from around the country, thats why I assumed the spot beam was dead.

He does get both SD and HD San Fran stations. I have seen and verifyed this. Interesting. Too bad as I HATE Seattle locals. But LOVE Directv. So no switching for me.

Thanks guys!

How about FTA, Is there backhaul feeds possibly of SF bay area? Have not played with my FTA in a couple years. I have it hooked to my big old Orbitron dish and Chapparel Monteray 90 piggybacked.

My nieghbor(a cop none-the less) who uses a FTA Pansat receiver in ways I will not ever do is the one that showed me TONS of locals from around the country, thats why I assumed the spot beam was dead.

Sorry, I looked at Lyngsat and didn't see HD San Fran on a CONUS beam, just the SD. As for the FTA question, I'd ask in the FTA section about what you can and can't get.

I seriously doubt...

he gets both SD and HD SF stations in Idaho. All American Direct just carries the SD version although you see the HD tag on some broadcasts...its not HD. AAD hopes to carry the HD feeds of both SF and Atlanta by the end of the year, so rumor has it :)

I use my Direct for baseball and living in NorCal I can get locals from L.A. The funny thing is I get KHJ in HD, for Dodger games, but can't get any of the other locals in HD only SD. Anyone know why this happens? Just curious.

Sorry, living in the past! I haven't lived in SoCal in 10 years and forgot. It is strange though that I can pick up Dodger games in HD but if I try changing to KABC or KNBC in HD I get nothing! Luckily the only station I really care about is KCAL.

I left there 24 years ago when it was still KHJ. How do you get the LA locals? DNS should only give you the big 4 networks, not independents. SD and HD DNS require separate waivers.

DIRECTV's spotbeams will not widen (unless it is necessary to finish covering a market that is currently only partly covered) as time goes on. If anything, they will narrow as they work out the combinations and permutations of having all four satellites up and running.

DIRECTV's spotbeams will not widen (unless it is necessary to finish covering a market that is currently only partly covered) as time goes on. If anything, they will narrow as they work out the combinations and permutations of having all four satellites up and running.

How much more tightening do you think is possible?
50 miles or less perhaps?

However I am a pure Direct HD mark and know that since about 2003 you could not do the address trick for locals as the beam only covered to about southern Oregon.

I am wondering if with HD locals and such if this has changed? Anyone know? I could try transponder signal check but I dont know what one? Just be cool to get my SF locals again here in Seattle.

Thanks!
SPOT BEAMS USUALLY WORK ONLY FOR A SPECIFIC MARKET FOR A 300 MILE RADIUS.

Yes, it is called "moving". The funny thing is I "live" over 500 miles from the source. I don't know what the deal is, but I get perfect HD on KCAL but can not pick up any of the other HD stations except in SD. I guess I am very lucky.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts