Can I remove the drive from my 622 and use it as an external drive if I have to replace the 622?

Except it would make much more sense to change that (single) receiver to a 722 - PIP, almost double HDD capacity & ability to send a 2nd signal out to somewhere else (but only at SD) for the same DVR fee.
Although if he did it as a swap, not sure if he'd loose his grandfathered DVR status, though...

I did have the 722 for several years until I bought a new Sony Bravia and it didn't behave well with that TV. The receiver would randomly reboot 3 or 4 times a day. I was told that downgrading to the 612 would be the best option due to more compatible software in that receiver. So far it has worked great.

"and, in fact, Dish support identified my current glitchiness as a failing surge suppressor" ... I wouldn't trust that for a second. Any CSR that told you over the phone they think they figured out your problem is your surge suppressor (unless it was blatantly obvious, like everything plugged into it stop working occasionally), is taking a shot in the dark at best.
I couldn't agree more! That is exactly what the phone CSR tried to tell me when I called to complain, on behalf of my sister, about her glitchy ViP612. I was insistent and got Dish to send her a ViP722k as a replacement, which has not had any problem plugged into the exact same outlet on the exact same surge suppressor.

Except it would make much more sense to change that (single) receiver to a 722 - PIP, almost double HDD capacity & ability to send a 2nd signal out to somewhere else (but only at SD) for the same DVR fee.
Although if he did it as a swap, not sure if he'd loose his grandfathered DVR status, though...
My sister did not lose the grandfathered status. The DVR fee is still $10. (I got her grandfathered last month. Before the ViP612, she had an original Hopper grandfathered for $12 per month.)

Reactions: brad1138
So with the Hopper, you get additional recording tuners (how many thing do you need to record at once anyway, just about every network repeats shows), but you have to pay more/month AND if you want to utilize OTA, you need to get a hard to find (or is it just hard to find one that works) OTA adapter? Do I have that right?

Reactions: pattykay
As an example, I had 7 programs recording last night from 6 until 7 PM. With the Hopper 3 I don't have to worry about when repeats may happen, adjusting tuners, or triaging what I'd like to watch. BTW, the 7 programs did not include the set of 4 PTAT channels.

Reactions: brad1138
As an example, I had 7 programs recording last night from 6 until 7 PM. With the Hopper 3 I don't have to worry about when repeats may happen, adjusting tuners, or triaging what I'd like to watch. BTW, the 7 programs did not include the set of 4 PTAT channels.
No, you just have to worry that the timers will fire at all. :p

Reactions: TheKrell
These days we have people in power that spew so much BS that it is hard to figure out what is real and what isn't. So, a rebuttal is needed to filter out the s and continue with the bull....

So when exactly do you have time to watch 7 hour long programs? I only record ~4 hours/week and I can easily get behind. I see you also don't contradict the difficulties in getting OTA or the added monthly charge. If the Hopper works for you, fine. That doesn't mean it's the solution to everyone's problem.

Reactions: pattykay
Not to be argumentative, but the OTA adapter isn't hard to find at all now. The new adapter is out and available from Dish Depot. Yes, it's an additional expense, but as I said in a different OTA thread, we should be glad that Dish still gives us ANY OTA options, given its apparent low rate of usage among the entire subscriber base.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So with the Hopper, you get additional recording tuners (how many thing do you need to record at once anyway, just about every network repeats shows), but you have to pay more/month AND if you want to utilize OTA, you need to get a hard to find (or is it just hard to find one that works) OTA adapter? Do I have that right?

So when exactly do you have time to watch 7 hour long programs? I only record ~4 hours/week and I can easily get behind. I see you also don't contradict the difficulties in getting OTA or the added monthly charge. If the Hopper works for you, fine. That doesn't mean it's the solution to everyone's problem.

I was simply responding to your question (see above in bold). I'm retired so I have plenty of time to watch whatever I'd like to watch. I have no difficulties whatsoever in getting OTA. What added monthly charge? Yeah they separated out the OTA to $10 a month but also lowered the main programming $5 so I got an increase of $5 a month just like most of the years previous. Yes, Hopper 3 costs a bit more than a 722 but I get much more out of it. Your problem is not everyones's problem. That works both ways!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)