Can I upgrade my VIP 622 to 722 without a new contract?

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
Is it possible to upgrade my VIP 622 to a 722 without renewing my contract with Dish? (I'd just like to add the Sling functionality to the DVR)

thought the sling didn't work with the 622, or are you not talking about the sling adapter

What is a 722 giving you that the 622 does not have? The only thing that I can think of is a larger internal hard drive. An external drive will fix that though.

You might want to wait till the fall for the new XiP receiver. Assuming it releases on time.

As stated, the ViP722 will work with the Sling Adapter. The ViP622 won't. It has a newer chipset that may mean more in the future. FWIW, the seven is black.

Dish will NOT allow you to just change from the 622 to the 722 since as they say "they are the same". Depending on what the techs carry in your area (here we only carry 722s) setup a tech call and tell them you want a tech out and NOT a receiver sent to you. If you sweet talk the tech enough he may swap it over for you.

Dish will NOT allow you to just change from the 622 to the 722 since as they say "they are the same". Depending on what the techs carry in your area (here we only carry 722s) setup a tech call and tell them you want a tech out and NOT a receiver sent to you. If you sweet talk the tech enough he may swap it over for you.

Why would Dish send out a tech unless it's an upgrade, resulting in a new contract? There's nothing wrong with his 622.

Why would Dish send out a tech unless it's an upgrade, resulting in a new contract? There's nothing wrong with his 622.

Well, he has to imply that there is "a problem" with the receiver so the tech can swap it out. Dish will NOT setup up a DIU for a 622-722 swap out, the only 2 ways to get it done is to buy it or have it replaced on a service call.

What is interesting about the article is the author is writing about a Motorola STB. Most Cisco, Motorola, and Directv boxes are Energy Star rated that tops out at slightly under 30Watts. Yes we have no bananas (or Echostar receivers).:D

You can upgrade from a 622 to a 722k just fine. You will need to renew a contract though.

I have had 3 customers and myself that were told by dish that you cannot upgrade the 622 to a 722 because they are the same thing as I stated above, it will not happen.

I have had 3 customers and myself that were told by dish that you cannot upgrade the 622 to a 722 because they are the same thing as I stated above, it will not happen.
Well, they should NOT have told you "the same thing" because they are NOT. As an installer, you should know that (and why I won't list the differences). Besides, any upgrade would be to the the 722K.

Last edited:
The CSR's are not able to request a specific model when upgrading a receiver. The computer only acknowledges receiver families so the CSR is unable to tell the customer what exact model # the customer will be receiving.

The CSR's are not able to request a specific model when upgrading a receiver. The computer only acknowledges receiver families so the CSR is unable to tell the customer what exact model # the customer will be receiving.
Mine (csr's) did. Twice. One from a 622, one from a 722. Perhaps you are thinking of initial, new customer/free receiver.

Last edited:
Well, they should NOT have told you "the same thing" because they are NOT. As an installer, you should know that (and why I won't list the differences). Besides, any upgrade would be to the the 722K.

I know they're not the same, but as far as the CSR's computer is concerned they are the same. When they setup a work order, either trouble call or service change, or new connect for that matter, it only says 622/722 they can not specify between the two because Dish counts them as the same. Like a 301/311/381 they're all the same, well minus the 301 lately after the 8psk swap outs. Hence saying to setup a service call to have it swapped out. If you send a tech they can swap it with a 722, if you have Dish send you one they will send a 622.

Tell them you are showing a 311 hard drive error, they will automatically send you a new one. Act real mad and say you want a 722 replacement instead of the "crappy" 622. Worth a shot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts