VIP 722 Acting Older than Me

The_Toy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
CT
My VIP 722 receiver is sending me hints it would like to retire. Older technology I know, but it’s fine for me and saves me a few bucks on a monthly bill. It’s connected to my TV by a HDMI cable. That is until a couple weeks ago when the TV claimed it had no signal from the receiver. (Note: Tried hard resets without any luck. And the 2nd TV hooked to the VIP 722 receives a signal just fine. So that output appears OK.)

I hook up my VIP 211K with the same HDMI cable to the same TV and it works. So I suspected it maybe the HDMI output on the VIP 722. Hooking up component cables seemed to confirm this with the TV receiving the signal from the VIP 722 just fine. So I thought OK, I can live with the component cable hookup. Even though it’s a leased receiver and I’m sure Dish will replace it, not worth the hassle.

Then of few days ago, the VIP 722 stopped receiving signals from the extra local digital channels I receive via an over the air antenna (thru the VIP 722). Same drill… Hooked up the VIP 211K with the same over the air antenna to the same TV and the channels signals are received just fine.

Is it possible that software updates are causing this?

How would I even know if I’m running the latest software?

I’m thinking the VIP 722 has been secretly receiving satellite updates with brochures from high scale retirement villages.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My VIP 722 receiver is sending me hints it would like to retire. Older technology I know, but it’s fine for me and saves me a few bucks on a monthly bill. It’s connected to my TV by a HDMI cable. That is until a couple weeks ago when the TV claimed it had no signal from the receiver. (Note: Tried hard resets without any luck. And the 2nd TV hooked to the VIP 722 receives a signal just fine. So that output appears OK.)

I hook up my VIP 211K with the same HDMI cable to the same TV and it works. So I suspected it maybe the HDMI output on the VIP 722. Hooking up component cables seemed to confirm this with the TV receiving the signal from the VIP 722 just fine. So I thought OK, I can live with the component cable hookup. Even though it’s a leased receiver and I’m sure Dish will replace it, not worth the hassle.

Then of few days ago, the VIP 722 stopped receiving signals from the extra local digital channels I receive via an over the air antenna (thru the VIP 722). Same drill… Hooked up the VIP 211K with the same over the air antenna to the same TV and the channels signals are received just fine.

I’m thinking the VIP 722 has been secretly receiving satellite updates with brochures from high scale retirement villages.
722's haven't had an update since 2/16/22

I know there's an HDMI Test in the Menu. Unfortunately I don’t know how to interpret the results. Or if it would even help in your case. Although there are a lot of smart Tech’s on this site...

Menu > 6 > 3 > Analysis > HDMI Test

To check current software:
Menu > 6 > 1 > 3

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Thanks to all.

Current software is: L918

Forgot to ask about any firmware updates.

If your roof started to leak, would you just set a bucket underneath and say "I can live with it."? Or would you take it as a warning that worse things are ahead? I'm pretty sure you'd want to fix it now, not later. Well, solid state electronics are the same way, once it starts to fail it will only get worse so the only question you need to ask yourself is, do I replace it while it's still working or do I wait until it stops altogether because eventually it will stop. The HDMI fail was a warning, probably a good idea not to ignore it.

My guess is you had a power outage recently and caused a surge (or something else in house caused it) which is usually the number one hdmi port killer. Of course other electronics parts can be damaged inside as well such as the ota tuner. You may get by for awhile as is using component but I wouldn't be surprised if it just stops working all together soon.

It could just be the capacitors failing especially if they use non-Japanese ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)