can tap be used in between integrator and SJ?

kbell

Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
I have three tv’s in our house and two tv’s in a detached workshop. home office. The workshop is connected to the house by a single RG6 cable. Currently I have a two Hopper setup with three joeys. The single cable to the workshop is connected to a tap that feeds a hopper and joey.

I am considering going to a single Hopper and Super Joey set up, but looking at the wiring diagrams I am not sure I can make it work without running a second cable to the workshop (very problematic). Can the cable that runs from integrator to the SJ be split with a tap to feed the SJ and a regular joey?

Welcome.

I wouldn't even try it

replace the tap with a 2 way splitter and put 2 regular joeys in the workshop

I don't see any reason it shouldn't work. It will route the frequencies correctly, and if there are no other splitters on the mix still meet the two component install rule.

TimberWolf and JM42, I very much appreciate the feedback and the different perspectives. Two regular joeys with a splitter was my first goal, but the only way I could see to pull that off would be to have two splitters after the node. At least on paper using a tap on the SJ line avoided that scenario. Sounds like a 10 minute trip to my dealer/installer is in order. If I go this route I’ll report back.

For any who are interested, I went by my dealer last week. He said that Super Joey had to have uninterrupted cable to integrator. That may be something short of "it won't work," but he seemed certain and I'm going to leave it at not worth trying. Back to the drawing board . . .

Dish "approved" installs for a super joey has its own line running back to the integrator which requires use of the 3rd line off the lnbf and and line tying a into a splitter that ties into the client port off a solo node which is accomplished if you have joeys in the config using a splitter.

now since you have 2 hoppers you have a duo node installed if its an "approved" install.

now I have seen people who have some experience or knowledge from being in the "industry, etc" deviate from "approved" installs and their systems work fine.

I know the customers in my region who have some knowledge of satellite systems and how signal flow works with multiplexing etc... pisses the local QAS off because it prevents him from doing his job. Cant really audit/inspect a install or job when the customer has switched the configuration of the system around after the tech leaves.

I have three tv’s in our house and two tv’s in a detached workshop. home office. The workshop is connected to the house by a single RG6 cable. Currently I have a two Hopper setup with three joeys. The single cable to the workshop is connected to a tap that feeds a hopper and joey.

I am considering going to a single Hopper and Super Joey set up, but looking at the wiring diagrams I am not sure I can make it work without running a second cable to the workshop (very problematic). Can the cable that runs from integrator to the SJ be split with a tap to feed the SJ and a regular joey?
Put a splitter and run two joeys you can stack spliters its fine. I wouldn't put a tap where you described it'll be a headache. The super Joey requires its own line from the dish due to the frequencies that the super Joey needs, it adds two tuners to the system. And you'll have to tie the integrator in to the system using a splitter so that the hopper can "see" the s.Joey. if needed I can explain how to do this in more detail if needed. Hope this helps.

Plenty of opportunity. If you got time, and no life like myself, this place can become a common part of your day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts