Can the H10 be connected to two TV's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NVBlue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Northern NV
Can the H10 be connected to two tv's? Has anyone done this?
My channel plus that I use to distribute D* to other rooms in my house is dying. I have an H10 in my office next to the master bedroom and I would like to run an additional feed from the H10 to my bedroom TV. I understand I can only watch one channel at a time off the H10. Thanks.

Guys, newbie hear so pardon my ignorance. This is a very informative thread as I'm wanting to do the same thing; however, the room with the 2nd TV is quite a ways away from my H10 so I'm going through the attic. I just had a question...when you hook the AV to the RF modulator and then to the 2nd TV...are you running it to another box or directly to the TV? If to the TV, how do you change the channel?

Again, my apologies if this is a bit amateurish. I appreciate your patience.

The problem with this setup is that both tv sets see the same channel, which is controlled by the sat receiver. However, if that's what you want, then there is no problem. What you will want to do then, in order to control the H10 from the other room is setup a remote repeater. The receiver (for the IR commands) goes in the second room and the transmitter (or repeater) is placed near the H10.

If however, you wanted to watch a DIFFERENT channel than is on the tv in the primary room, then an additional receiver with cabling is required.

Thanks!

Exactly what I needed to know. I looked for the "remote repeater" just now and there seems to be a variance in price between types. Do you know, by chance which one would best suit this need?

Thanks again!

:confused:

Ok, once more, allow me to show the actual amount of my ignorance. Am I to assume that I do not need the "repeater" or "transmitter", because the RF is already built in?

If so, could I test it by simply going to my bedroom and hitting a button to see if the receiver responds?

If I am correct, than all I would need is to get the box connected to the 2nd TV?

And if that's correct, than the products provided on the link are the materials I would need for HD?

...and...are these cable long enough to reach or am I limited to coax simply because of length?

...again my apologies.

There is an antenna that comes with the H10 so that you can use the remote functions eventhough you don't have the line of sight to the IR sensor. Since the 2nd TV is only 2 ft. away from the first set in my scenario, I should be able to run A/V cables and use the remote from the next room. I don't think I will need a repeater for the remote. My initial question was just if it was possible to connect 2 TV to the same satellite receiver. I am glad my question has involved so many others that want to do something similar. Thanks to all that have responded. Once I drill the hole and set it up, I will reply if I was able to accomplish my objectives. Now drilling through the wall is what I am now worried about....

An even better method without having to run wires to feed several TVs is to use a wireless A/V system. I have 3 TVs fed from one D* receiver using a wireless A/V transmitter/receiver system. If you install one, make sure it has a transmission/receive frequency of 5.8 GHz not 2.4. 2.4 gets a lot of interference, as it is on the same frequency as wireless home networks, microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc. You can buy additional receivers as the original system comes with one transmitter and one receiver. Like others have said, you will receive the same channel, what ever is currently selected on the D* receiver, on all TVs.

I have a wireless A/V system at also allows you to use the IR remote, from any one of the receiver locations. I like it because there is no wires to run except a short audio and video cable, between the receiver and the A/V transmitter and another short audio and video cable between the receivers and the TV.

Here is the system I use:http://www.smarthome.com/76540.html

WoW...that sounds like the perfect set up, considering I have no interest in multiple channel viewing.

So...am I connecting the D* receiver to the "one" transmitter and then connecting the "one" receiver to the 2nd TV?

...and that's it?

What about connecting the D* receiver to the 2nd TV...is that still a requirement?

Do you know if this system will transmit HD?

igzo99 said:
WoW...that sounds like the perfect set up, considering I have no interest in multiple channel viewing.

So...am I connecting the D* receiver to the "one" transmitter and then connecting the "one" receiver to the 2nd TV?

...and that's it?
That is it. You do have to run a IR unit from the transmitter to the front of your D* receiver, so you can use the IR function, but that is not a big thing to do either. It took me about 10 minutes to set up the system to feed 3 TVs.

igzo99 said:
What about connecting the D* receiver to the 2nd TV...is that still a requirement?

Do you know if this system will transmit HD?

You only use 1 transmitter on the D* receiver. You then use as many receivers as you have TVs you want to feed. You will need to purchase additional receivers for the amount of TVs you want to feed. Only one receiver comes with the original system.

Now if you have 2 D* receivers and wanted to send the output of one of them to one additional TV and the output of the second D* receiver to another, you would need to purchase 2 systems consisting of a transmitter and receiver each. You can use up to 4 sets of Receiver/Transmitter combinations, as you can set each set to one of 4 frequencies.

This will not transmit the HD signal, only the A/V (Yellow/Red/White outputs). I have it hooked to my D* HTL-HD receiver, I feed the HD output to my HDTV and the A/V output goes to the wireless A/V transmitter.

The only way you can get the HD signal to additional TVs is to use the above mentioned CE Labs AV 400COMP High-Performance Component/HDTV Distribution Amplifier, and hard wire the 3 or 5 wires to each TV.

Interesting!! May look into the wireless option... except my phone system is 5.8 Ghz. Must logically think about that. Thanks Lou-Do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)