CANAM Satellites

CDN SATS

Im finally back from vacation and heard about the court order and found out that CANAM didnt know that they were being investigated or that they could be shut down!! They cant even give any info to me about my account due to this court order..Ive been now with them for 7 years I cant believe this happened...the staff were always so nice and helpful..such a shame we cant even watch TV because of these stupid laws...when I asked if they knew they were getting served with a court order they responded..if we knew we wouldnt have been open for business this long...they went to work one day and got raided..thats it and if u get raided u dont know its coming right..oh well lets see what happens!!!

By the way there is another CANAM in Canada who also got served before this CANAM..There not connected in anyway...just have the same name..different owners...

There IS an alternative to CANAM for Bell. I am not sure the policy here so that is all I'll say. If this post is inappropriate, please delete it.

Then I was right....way back on page two of this thread.........They were raided.

I saw right through that "site maintenance" story even back then.
No, you're still wrong. The Canam we're talking is based in Markham, Ontario and run by Marc Etherinton, and smalldish is based in British Columbia and run by Richard Rex. Different companies that used the same name. Etherington was served August 14, 2008, while Rex was served June 26, 2008. You posted the link to smalldish in Vancouver which serviced Canadian customers with DirecTv and Dish. They are different companies doing somewhat similar things. Read the attachment on post 142. It does not mention Rex, smalldish.com, or a B.C. based company at all. Can we finally put this to bed, please?

Well, you can't have two corporations with the same name in Canada. So, assuming Marc had a sole Proprietorship, he should have chosen a name that was not related to the shady past of Rex's company

Either way, BOTH companies got greedy and got burned. And they screwed alot of people stuck with useless receivers. Bell is keeping Marc's account "active" so receivers CANNOT be transferred to new owners.

Does anyone know the situation with CanAm with respect to *C? I've been signed up with them for a year and just got a phone call telling me I had to get in touch to pay my annual fee. I'm still getting service and am direct billed by *C but don't want to pay CanAm if I'm going to get cut off.

Any help would be appreciated.

It was a good ride, five years and four time zones of children's programming from all over the world. The Documentary Channel was my "grown-up" favorite. Fortunately, when my program guide went "all red", I had a couple of days of fair weather in which to install a monster OTA system, and once again am able to watch our Simpsons - NewsWatch suppertime sequence on CHEX (love that Teresa Kuzsuba, absolutely mesmerizing). So, I'll still get CTV, Global, CBC, SRC, "A-Channel", and TVO. Won't miss the lame "Canadian-content" movie offerings, though. Largo messed up by trying to play both sides of the street, and I don't expect to be getting BEV again any time soon. The dish is disconnected, and the receiver has been put away. I don't want to sell these on EBay if they're no good to anybody. Do either the dish or the receiver (3100) have any value, or any other use to the hobbyist. Can I use the receiver for anything, an mpeg-2 decoder, a DTV decoder ? What about the dish ?

Does anyone know the situation with CanAm with respect to *C? I've been signed up with them for a year and just got a phone call telling me I had to get in touch to pay my annual fee. I'm still getting service and am direct billed by *C but don't want to pay CanAm if I'm going to get cut off.

Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't take the chance staying with CANAM. Most likely you will get cut off and will be left with a door stop receiver. There are other options for brokers.

Do either the dish or the receiver (3100) have any value, or any other use to the hobbyist. Can I use the receiver for anything, an mpeg-2 decoder, a DTV decoder ? What about the dish ?

The dish is good. Its the exact same as a Dish 500. Your 3100 is now worthless.

Well, you can't have two corporations with the same name in Canada. So, assuming Marc had a sole Proprietorship, he should have chosen a name that was not related to the shady past of Rex's company

Either way, BOTH companies got greedy and got burned. And they screwed alot of people stuck with useless receivers. Bell is keeping Marc's account "active" so receivers CANNOT be transferred to new owners.
That's why he "based" CanAm Satellites in Florida. There is no honor among thieves.

I wouldn't take the chance staying with CANAM. Most likely you will get cut off and will be left with a door stop receiver. There are other options for brokers.

I contacted another broker and they said "Your current broker would have to release your receiver - have starchoice turn it off. Some brokers refuse to do this. If he closes your account, more then likely there would have to be a "sale" from the "old owner" to the new owner. It gets complicated."

If I get CanAm to turn off my service does that automatically release the system so I can sign up with someone else? If that doesn't automatically release it is there any way I can get it released so I can sign up with a different broker?

Thanks.

If I get CanAm to turn off my service does that automatically release the system so I can sign up with someone else? If that doesn't automatically release it is there any way I can get it released so I can sign up with a different broker?

Thanks.

No and no unfortunately. You can try and ask them and see what happens. Most likely you will need to buy a new or used receiver that can be transferred.

Last night I locked-on to "Hockey Night in Canada", and the movie "Silent Movie" on CBLT-DT (rf chan 20), with my OTA system. I get, no sweat, several other Canadian channels. So, I have a fall-back. But I miss my BEV. I'm an American, a veteran, but I'd drink a gallon of p**s before I'd subscribe to DISH or DirectTV. I paid for all my BEV programming, each month, so I did my honest bit, and it was worth every penny. The people who are really getting screwed-over are all those old retired Canadian "Snow Birds" in Florida. Canadians getting screwed by other Canadians. Who'd a thunk ? Makes no sense at all. But it all goes back to Largo trying to play both sides of the street.

trying to stop autopayment

does anyone know a non-1888 number to get through to bell billing to stop the auto pay that I am still be charged?

Hmmmm. They cut you off but still are charging you. Sounds right for the crooks at Bell. Try 1 416 383 6600

Edit: Changed number to one that works.

Last edited:
you do not need a broker

here's what i did, go on craigs list to the canadian city you want, look up rental property, get an address, do not use toronto or hamiton unless you want sim subs, find out the area code of the the city you are suppose to be in, and make up a tel no, ( use you american no with the canadian area code) thats what a broker does, then call call *c get the account then go on their website and get paperless billing, save the broker;s fee.

in the east windsor is a good city to choose no simsubs. lots of rental property
or use a hotel or motel, university address

here's what i did, go on craigs list to the canadian city you want, look up rental property, get an address, do not use toronto or hamiton unless you want sim subs, find out the area code of the the city you are suppose to be in, and make up a tel no, ( use you american no with the canadian area code) thats what a broker does, then call call *c get the account then go on their website and get paperless billing, save the broker;s fee.
okay but what do you use for a mail address like when they need to send you a new card??