Cancel just for a free upgrade?

David1997

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Harrisonburg, VA
I've been with dish for 7 years and it's been 3 years since i have gotten new equipment (that i had to pay for + 2yrs contract)

I would like to get a hopper + sling and they want $100 for it + 2yrs contract think they wanted more for sling and they refuse to budge.

Is there a time frame before you can cancel and resign up?

If it's months can i simply sign up in my wifes name or do they go buy address?

I really like dish and don't want to go over to the other side. But a free iPad 2 and hooper and HBO is a great deal that i can't get. The rep told me that i should have got a similar deal when i fist signed up.

Any advice?

I've been with dish for 7 years and it's been 3 years since i have gotten new equipment (that i had to pay for + 2yrs contract)

I would like to get a hopper + sling and they want $100 for it + 2yrs contract think they wanted more for sling and they refuse to budge.

I really like dish and don't want to go over to the other side. But a free iPad 2 and hooper and HBO is a great deal that i can't get. The rep told me that i should have got a similar deal when i fist signed up.

Any advice?

Did you try retention?
100 bucks is really not bad.

Direc wanted me to pay
300 for upgrade to Genie.

I think the wait time might be fairly long?
I could be wrong.

I still would try retention first if you have not gone that route.

Any advice?
PM Dirt.

If it's just a few months, and that's how Dish (Or Direct or whoever) wants to play it, maybe it's worth dropping then come back. For my last upgrade (not Hopper) I was able to nix the two year contract, but I've been with them since the 90's.

You must be without Dish for 3 months if you cancel. Then you can sign back up if you left your old account in good standing. You could just use and antenna or use the internet to get you by for the summer.

Honestly, $100 is a great price for the upgrade. You either pay $100 and get it now or wait 3 months to save some money.

As for signing up in your wife's name, it wouldn't work do to the address.

You must be without Dish for 3 months if you cancel. Then you can sign back up if you left your old account in good standing. You could just use and antenna or use the internet to get you by for the summer.

Honestly, $100 is a great price for the upgrade. You either pay $100 and get it now or wait 3 months to save some money.

As for signing up in your wife's name, it wouldn't work do to the address.

You are forgetting the new customer discounts plus free premiums for 3 months. So that's quite a lot of money plus 2 yrs contract anyway.

Yes, you would get all the promotions if you qualified as a new customer. You would still be without TV for 3 months so the customer would have to decide which is more important.

Yes, you would get all the promotions if you qualified as a new customer. You would still be without TV for 3 months so the customer would have to decide which is more important.

If available in your area, why not sign up for cable for a few months to fill the gap? I noticed the cable company that operates in my area offers 6-month new customer promos with no contract. So, when you are eligible and ready to go back to Dish and collect your new equipment and new customer promotions, you could drop cable at that time, or maybe you'd find you like cable better and want to stick with it, or stick with cable for at least the full six discounted months, thus collecting 18 months of consecutive discounted service (6 months cable plus 12 months Dish).

People jump all over me for saying stuff like this, but I see no ethical problem with accepting promotions that are offered by companies. You're not lying about anything. They're offering new customer promotions, you're a new customer. If providers don't like that type of behavior, they can always start offering loyalty bonuses instead or in addition to new customer promos. You said yourself, you'd be happy to stick with Dish in the first place if they'd just give you the same equipment upgrades a new customer gets.

I also personally won't feel guilty if I switch from Dish to cable at some point to get new customer and bundling discounts and then came back. Dish made me pay for installation and only offered SD equipment even though their stated promo at the time was free installation and free HD for life. If I left and then came back, maybe they'd do what they should have done in the first place, and I'll mentally apply my new customer discount to the fee I had to pay the first time. ;) Or maybe I'd just stick with cable or go to Directv. All these companies have issues- I had a long saga with the cable company that turned into an article on the Consumerist. I'm not advocating one over the other. I'm just saying it makes sense to get the best deals you can.

Of course, here I am well beyond my contract and still with Dish, so maybe I'm more loyal than I let on. ;) Inertia is a powerful thing, and Dish does offer me a key channel that cable doesn't. But I think when my two year cable Internet promotional rate expires in a month or two, I'm going to have to bring down total cost, and switching TV providers and getting a new customer and bundling discount seems like the way to do it short-term. Then Dish or Directv can try to lure me back. And if they don't offer me HD equipment and such this time, they won't get me a second time. The first time, I was desperate, but I never really like the way they shortchanged me and it sticks in my craw years later. People remember this stuff. I remember it every time I see one of those stupid downgraded HD to SD signals that has bars on all four corners of the screen where even stretching it leaves one set of bars and it turns watching hockey into almost total guesswork if your RSN has blurry cameras to begin with. ;)

Last edited:
You could switch to cable to get by. Some cable companies do not have any contracts. I am not a fan of switching every two years but I will not say it is wrong. These companies have set themselves up for it. If they didn't want their customers to switch then they would try harder to keep their existing customers and not give all the promotions to the new customers.

You could switch to cable to get by. Some cable companies do not have any contracts. I am not a fan of switching every two years but I will not say it is wrong. These companies have set themselves up for it. If they didn't want their customers to switch then they would try harder to keep their existing customers and not give all the promotions to the new customers.

Cell companies does that....after 2 years..when your contract is up...you can get a new phone & sign another contract same as new customer.

With Dish...& other such companies...after 2 years...you dont get the same offer as a new customer. You need to pay for upgrade equipments, dont get discounts or preview but are tied to 2 years in contract anyway.

Hoping such companies can come up with a better way to handly existing customers.

Cell companies does that....after 2 years..when your contract is up...you can get a new phone & sign another contract same as new customer.

With Dish...& other such companies...after 2 years...you dont get the same offer as a new customer. You need to pay for upgrade equipments, dont get discounts or preview but are tied to 2 years in contract anyway.

Hoping such companies can come up with a better way to handly existing customers.

there is some truth there but the cell companies have pretty low overhead. They have no equipment, technicians and no installation involved. If all Dish had to do was give the customer a receiver and be done with it things may be different.

Calling DISH may work better than contacting Dirt. I recently discussed upgrading to a Hopper and dealing with an owned obsolete receiver with one of the Dirt team but they couldn't do anything other than the typical current customer upgrade pricing. I looked around and decided Directv would work as well for me so I called DISH to cancel. Their phone tree connected me with the retention department which looked up my account and offered me a deal close to a new customer offer.

Did you try retention?
100 bucks is really not bad.

Direc wanted me to pay
300 for upgrade to Genie.

I think the wait time might be fairly long?
I could be wrong.

I still would try retention first if you have not gone that route.

Yea I don't think $100 is hat bad either. I was in the same boat as you. Direct wanted to charge me $300 for a Genie and a new 2 year contract. They gave me no incentive to stay. I wasn't looking for a freebie. If they would have said $100 and a 2 year contract I would still be there.

To the OP, do you have any programing recorded on a dvr or ehd? If so and you close the account and want to open a new one in 3 months, you can kiss all those recordings good by, All ehd's are keyed to the account number. If you re up, you'll have a new account and only recordings done with that number can be viewed.

I would definitely contact dish by phone and see if retention can make you an offer that you like. I've been with dish since 93, switched to direct once, and switched back after 2 years. hey, if they can't make it right, then definitely check out other alternatives. down here in Miami, we have more choices now, just make sure you understand the costs of your new deal. I found direct very expensive during my second year of my contract. I was a member of the $105 club and all I had was choice extra, pretty close to dish 250 in programming. U-Verse socks it to you big time after 6 months, but no contract.

I plan on doing that come the first of the year. I will check my choices elsewhere if dish can't offer me a good enough deal to stay. If I can get a good enough deal to stay I will. I may even leave before if a good deal with direct comes.

If I recall, the ipad promo is for new customers only. They have to qualify for the Plus or Elite new installs (not sure what qualifies as Elite since there's also normal & bad credit installs). Also, the ipad is in leue of the normal New Customers pricing. Basically you just start out at full price (plus free Premium packs of course).
As for setting it up in your wife's name, Assuming she's not on the account now, you could always have her call in a new install & list the address as an apartment or multi unit (just add B or 1/2 to the address). Once the appointment is built, close your old account, & just have the address changed after the install. At most you'd be without service for a couple weeks depending on tech workload & you'd have a super happy tech since your cable system is existing (assuming is all up to code).

The ipad promo is stupid.. it is just Apples way of getting with Dish to unload some over stock on the ipad2's as the 3's are now the main seller. Better off going with the other regular promo cause if you have issues with the ipad better not expect to get it serviced by Dish or anyone else for that matter without a hefty fee.

Pay the $100, upgrade your stuff and go on with life. As a tech it just amazes me how so many people want everything for free and are willing to argue with the devil to get it...someone has to pay for this stuff ya know.

iPad 2 is still sold. iPad 3 was discontinued. The 4th gen sells well, as, in fact, does the iPad 2 & mini. There is no overstock. It is a current product. And it's not bad, it's just not the latest and greatest.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)