Care and Feeding of a 12 foot Paraclipse...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
:eureka:Special Note for Brother Anole::eureka:

The automotive door trim did not work.
I got a roll from Autozone, it just isn't deep enough.
Back to the drawing board. :(
The stuff I remember was almost 1/2 inch deep.
Plus, I was thinking you would wire it onto the edge anyway, to keep it there for the next two decades.
Oh, well, that's what the drawing board is for.

Plus, I was thinking you would wire it onto the edge anyway, to keep it there for the next two decades.

I was just at a web site with a product called edge guard the stuff is expensive. The site is : Trimlok - Product Catalog

Only posting as a starting point for more research.

I was just at a web site with a product called edge guard the stuff is expensive. The site is : Trimlok - Product Catalog

Only posting as a starting point for more research.

Since work has been so slow out here for me, I offered a friend assistance any time he wants to help him remove BUD s from peoples houses. Many folks out here are giving up the big dish because they can no longer get things like ESPN.

I know that there are other ways to receive those broadcasts, but the folks here are like most folks. They want simplicity, (spelled Directv or Dishnet).

With that in mind I offered my labor to assist him. My thinking is that I may run across some decent parts for big dishes. (paraclypse) I am sure there are other dishes here too. In fact I know he is going to a place to remove a 16 foot dish next week. Nothing worng with the dish. I suspect nothing wrong with the receiver either.

My point is this. There may come a time when I stumble across dish parts that are worth something. I am only interested in Paraclypse parts to keep mine running, and maybe a 922 receiver or two for backup.

If it works out and I am given the opportunity to help him out, I will post what I find.

However and keep this in mind. Shipping from will probably cost you your next born child. I know from having stuff shipped out here.

Small stuff like receivers, could be handled by the postal service, large stuff like mounts woiuld cost.

Here is an example. A couple of years ago I bought a 36 inch actuator (venture) for 385.00. Shipping to hawaii was 135..20.

If anything comes of it I will let everyone know what is being removed or disassembled. There may be some items of value for some folks...

No, Anole, all I could find here was less than 1/4 inch deep. Not good at all. Anyway, I think I found something better.

I went to the blue box last night (Lowe's) and found something I am more than confident will work. Electricial cord protectors.

I could't find it on the Lowe's website, but I did find it on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Wiremold White Cordmate Cord Channel, White #C10: Home Improvement

I got a five foot piece for 4.48. :)

And its paintable. :) Has adhesive on one side, but hey, beggars cannot be choosy.

Also, my hole is filled to the brim with water this morning. FULL. Which also means my coax conduit has water in it too. Fun Fun.

My point is this. There may come a time when I stumble across dish parts that are worth something. I am only interested in Paraclypse parts to keep mine running, and maybe a 922 receiver or two for backup.

If it works out and I am given the opportunity to help him out, I will post what I find.

However and keep this in mind. Shipping from will probably cost you your next born child. I know from having stuff shipped out here.

Small stuff like receivers, could be handled by the postal service, large stuff like mounts woiuld cost.

Here is an example. A couple of years ago I bought a 36 inch actuator (venture) for 385.00. Shipping to hawaii was 135..20.

If anything comes of it I will let everyone know what is being removed or disassembled. There may be some items of value for some folks...

Thanks Mauiguy for the offer, you never know when one of us might need something...or when you might need something from us...:up

Last edited:
Stogie, looks like today is going to be a washout as well :( I am still up, was awake all night (as usual), but it was storming when the sun came up. Don't know if this stuff is all the way out to Slidell or not...

PM me if you need me to come and help, I'll try to work out my sleep schedule :)

Shipping cost for you??

Hello Mauiguy,
That is expensive to ship a 36 inch actuator to Hawaii for $135..20.
I heard that is the case with a lot of things that get shipped there from the Main Land, such as food and other things needed in daily life. I would love to see some photos of your Paraclipse or some of the others you were speaking of when you are going Dish Hunting. Also it’s a great way for some of us to see Hawaii!

I’m just wondering because I don’t know for sure. Maybe you have already checked this out. Would it be cheaper for you to get your satellite parts from a country in Asia? I found this website call: Free to Air Satellite Forum – Asia Pacific. Countries like Australia and Taiwan to name a few. Just wondering?

Tom
:D

Since work has been so slow out here for me, I offered a friend assistance any time he wants to help him remove BUD s from peoples houses. Many folks out here are giving up the big dish because they can no longer get things like ESPN.

I know that there are other ways to receive those broadcasts, but the folks here are like most folks. They want simplicity, (spelled Directv or Dishnet).

With that in mind I offered my labor to assist him. My thinking is that I may run across some decent parts for big dishes. (paraclypse) I am sure there are other dishes here too. In fact I know he is going to a place to remove a 16 foot dish next week. Nothing worng with the dish. I suspect nothing wrong with the receiver either.

Stogie, looks like today is going to be a washout as well :( I am still up, was awake all night (as usual), but it was storming when the sun came up. Don't know if this stuff is all the way out to Slidell or not...

PM me if you need me to come and help, I'll try to work out my sleep schedule :)

It didn't rain like that over here, but I still have to get the footing poured, I am getting ready to do that now. I have to give it at least 24 hours I would think, so today ain't gonna happen. But thanks for the offer...

It didn't rain like that over here, but I still have to get the footing poured, I am getting ready to do that now. I have to give it at least 24 hours I would think, so today ain't gonna happen. But thanks for the offer...
Hey Stogie,
Looks like you are getting the same weather front that I've been getting. Been rainning here for the last 2 weeks now. We need the rain however sure would like a clear day break in the weather so I can get things done around here!

TOM

Hello Mauiguy,
That is expensive to ship a 36 inch actuator to Hawaii for $135..20.
I heard that is the case with a lot of things that get shipped there from the Main Land, such as food and other things needed in daily life. I would love to see some photos of your Paraclipse or some of the others you were speaking of when you are going Dish Hunting. Also it’s a great way for some of us to see Hawaii!

I’m just wondering because I don’t know for sure. Maybe you have already checked this out. Would it be cheaper for you to get your satellite parts from a country in Asia? I found this website call: Free to Air Satellite Forum – Asia Pacific. Countries like Australia and Taiwan to name a few. Just wondering?

Tom

With out trying to hijack this thread, I will post any pics of interesting stuff that I might come across.

I deal only with Canadian and US businesses because I think that if I receive a faulty part, I have a much better chance of returning the merchandise. There is also the language problem when dealing with Taiwan China, or Korea.

Last comment and then we need to get back to Stogies Great Adventure...

Hawaii is expensive. We pay about 43 cents per kilowatt hour for electricity. Milk is over 5 dollars per gallon. Gas is 4.85 per gallon.... Not sure if I want Gas or Milk anymore. Well at my age either gives me gas.....

Mount is ready, dish is strapped up and ready, tractor is ready. Keith is ready. Keith is having trouble finding help on a weekday. WILL it STILL happen today? Stay tuned to find out. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1559[1].JPG
    IMG_1559[1].JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 199
Mount is ready, dish is strapped up and ready, tractor is ready. Keith is ready. Keith is having trouble finding help on a weekday. WILL it STILL happen today? Stay tuned to find out. :cool:
Keith,
Looking good! Are you going to put some PCP pipe over the wiring and connect it to the pole? Just wondering if the critters might chew into the wiring. Hope you find some help, I know that there would be a lot of us from here to give a hand if we lived somewhat closer! Like it's too bad when I was going through your area and I was a rocks throw from your place, I would stop off there. You be installing that day and we get her done! Ah Life in a perfect World!:) However you're doing a great job there. Can't wait to see the next step! :hungry:

TOM

Stogie,

I have attached clarification on measurement points for Elevation and Declination.

Attachments

• ELEV & DEC.pdf
    51.7 KB · Views: 202
Keith,
Looking good! Are you going to put some PCP pipe over the wiring and connect it to the pole? Just wondering if the critters might chew into the wiring. Hope you find some help, I know that there would be a lot of us from here to give a hand if we lived somewhat closer! Like it's too bad when I was going through your area and I was a rocks throw from your place, I would stop off there. You be installing that day and we get her done! Ah Life in a perfect World!:) However you're doing a great job there. Can't wait to see the next step! :hungry:

TOM

Yeah Tom I always wait until last to do the wiring, that is just temporary until I get it dialed in.

My next door neighbor came and helped me, we never even used the tractor. We loosened the pivot bolt, made the mounting points level, stood the dish vertical, and after a bit of futzing and fuming, and some four letter words, got it lined up and bolted in. Took about two hours.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 221
Yeah Tom I always wait until last to do the wiring, that is just temporary until I get it dialed in.

My next door neighbor came and helped me, we never even used the tractor. We loosened the pivot bolt, made the mounting points level, stood the dish vertical, and after a bit of futzing and fuming, and some four letter words, got it lined up and bolted in. Took about two hours.

You are smoking now guy!

Can't wait until you start feeding us some numbers.

Looks great!

Here it is, fellas. I set the elevation and declination the best I could, but I haven't hooked it up to a receiver yet. I need to find out some more info about aiming...true south and such things...I need to look in the FAQ...

Attachments

• IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 248
Keith,
What can I say other then magnificent job! I see from the middle picture the difference in the holes in the mesh. Are you going to eventually replace all the old mesh with new? Just curious (maybe a dumb question) if the difference in the size of the holes would change the way for you in getting a good signal?

Keep up the good work.

TOM

:)

Man, that thing looks awesome, great job, keep the updates coming!

:up

Thanks. Will do. :) It is one BEHEMOTH of a dish. Its MASSIVE...LOL

Keith,
What can I say other then magnificent job! I see from the middle picture the difference in the holes in the mesh. Are you going to eventually replace all the old mesh with new? Just curious (maybe a dumb question) if the difference in the size of the holes would change the way for you in getting a good signal?

Keep up the good work.

TOM

:)

Thanks for the well wishes.

The mesh I replaced was blown out. I just used some old mesh I had laying around, it happened to be Ku-rated mesh from an old Winegard 10 footer. I had to piece the two outer pieces because the mesh wasn't big enough. If I can find another Paraclipse I will get my missing panels and change them out. Mauiguy tells me my original mesh is not Ku Rated, but will work. Doesn't matter to me anyway, because I intend on it being c-band only.

Trust me, you do NOT want to put 500 wire clips on that dish over and over and over...:D

Thanks. Will do. :) It is one BEHEMOTH of a dish. Its MASSIVE...LOL

Thanks for the well wishes.

The mesh I replaced was blown out. I just used some old mesh I had laying around, it happened to be Ku-rated mesh from an old Winegard 10 footer. I had to piece the two outer pieces because the mesh wasn't big enough. If I can find another Paraclipse I will get my missing panels and change them out. Mauiguy tells me my original mesh is not Ku Rated, but will work. Doesn't matter to me anyway, because I intend on it being c-band only.

Trust me, you do NOT want to put 500 wire clips on that dish over and over and over...:D

Tracking time huh?? Well do not forget Geo orbit, and then someone posted on one of these forums a place where you could download the video "Tracking Made Easy" by outlook communications. it is pretty good.

This moring I sent you an email regarding the plastic bolts on the mounting plate for your feed horn.

If I recall correctly I had the same problem that you did because we both installed the bolts by following the instructions. I found that in order to get the 52.625 focal distance I had to reinstall the plastic bolts with the head pointed toward the center of the dish rather than with the head pointed away.

Good luck...

Status
Please reply by conversation.