Cat 5e to HDMI saved my bacon

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
Actually got the lead from a Best Buy employee. I had been using a 100' HDMI cable, head end from DISH receiver routed up two stories thru one wall, across the attic and down two stories through another wall, to my 55" wall-mounted flat screen (all this to keep the clutter of several home theatre components out of the living room). A week ago, I lost the signal from the DISH, confirmed it was the cable by using a shorter HDMI cable strung across the floor from the DISH receiver to the telly, both ends were fine. Kind of been living on the edge with the 100' cable, when I tried to set up the GoogleTV I got from DISH, it would transmit audio, but no video. Had some interesting comments on that thread. But now, had to deal with getting the signal from here to there. The Best Buy staffer suggested I look at the Monoprice site and check out the Cat 5e to HDMI system. After verifying the system would work, I have now run it under the baseboard and behind the door casing, cutting the signal run to about 60'. Specs for the system claim it will work up to 50 meters, so wasn't real worried.

Posting this in case someone has a long cable run and is not comfortable with the signal strength of an HDMI cable of that length:)

Actually got the lead from a Best Buy employee. I had been using a 100' HDMI cable, head end from DISH receiver routed up two stories thru one wall, across the attic and down two stories through another wall, to my 55" wall-mounted flat screen (all this to keep the clutter of several home theatre components out of the living room). A week ago, I lost the signal from the DISH, confirmed it was the cable by using a shorter HDMI cable strung across the floor from the DISH receiver to the telly, both ends were fine. Kind of been living on the edge with the 100' cable, when I tried to set up the GoogleTV I got from DISH, it would transmit audio, but no video. Had some interesting comments on that thread. But now, had to deal with getting the signal from here to there. The Best Buy staffer suggested I look at the Monoprice site and check out the Cat 5e to HDMI system. After verifying the system would work, I have now run it under the baseboard and behind the door casing, cutting the signal run to about 60'. Specs for the system claim it will work up to 50 meters, so wasn't real worried.

Posting this in case someone has a long cable run and is not comfortable with the signal strength of an HDMI cable of that length:)

Were you using a HDMI Equalizer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)