Ceil Announces Alcatel will build Sat. for 129

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/03/16/1465675.htm

Ciel Satellite Announces Alcatel Alenia Space Will Build Ciel-2 Satellite; First Ciel Satellite to be Constructed for 2008 Launch

OTTAWA --(Business Wire)-- March 16, 2006 -- Ciel Satellite announced today that Alcatel Alenia Space has been chosen to construct a new spacecraft to be known as Ciel-2. The geosynchronous satellite will be operated by Ciel from 129 degrees West and deliver services throughout North America.

Alcatel will build the Spacebus 4000 C4 spacecraft based on proven technology that has been utilized in four successfully deployed satellites. The C4 will the largest Spacebus class satellite ever built. A number of innovations will also complement the design; the all Ku-band satellite will feature high frequency re-use and both regional and spot beams. The Ciel-2 satellite is scheduled to launch in late 2008 and to operate for at least 16 years. Ciel Satellite was awarded the license for 129 degrees West from Industry Canada in October 2004.

"Ciel is pleased to begin construction of the first new satellite in its fleet -- one for which we have high expectations for this spacecraft. Alcatel is recognized as a world-class satellite manufacturer and we expect Ciel-2 to deliver outstanding performance in Canada and elsewhere in North America," said Kevin Smyth, CEO, Ciel Satellite.

"Ciel-2 will be the first of many spacecraft we hope to bring into service to the benefit of Canadian and North American customers, and we are pleased to note that Canadian subcontractors, including ComDev, will be participating in this satellite's construction," said Dave Lewis, President and COO, Ciel Satellite.

Pascale Sourisse, President and CEO, Alcatel Alenia Space, added, "The demands from the Ciel procurement team were ambitious and rigorous, so we are doubly delighted to have earned this contract award for Ciel-2."

About Ciel Satellite

Ciel Satellite LP is Canada's independent satellite facilities operator. Ciel was founded in 2004, received preliminary authorization to operate a satellite at 129 degrees West that same year, and began commercial operations in August 2005. The partners and shareholders in the Ciel venture are: BPC Telecommunications Corporation, owned by OMERS, one of Canada's largest pension funds, with more than $40 billion in assets; Ottawa-based Smyth Satellite Holdings Ltd., a Canadian satellite and telecommunications company established by Kevin Smyth and Gerry Wall, Ph.D.; 620582 NB Ltd., an investment company led by Brian Neill, the founder and former chairman of Star Choice Communications Inc.; and SES GLOBAL S.A. (Euronext Paris, and Luxembourg stock exchanges: SESG) which owns SES ASTRA in Europe, and SES AMERICOM in the US, and holds strategic investments in AsiaSat in Asia, Ciel in Canada, NSAB in Europe, and Star One in Latin America.

For folks who are not aware, Dish will have use of at least 50% of the capacity on this satellite i.e., 16 transponder frequencies, likely more. The description "the all Ku-band satellite will feature high frequency re-use and both regional and spot beams" is kind of redundant because the only way you have high frequency re-use is with spotbeams. I assume regional beams are just very large spotbeams. One unique way frequencies could be re-used would be to use the same frequencies in Canada and for spotbeams in the southern U.S.

I am not the biggest fan of Alcatel, a European company but they are probably better than some but not all of the U.S. satellite builders. SES Global, the parent company of SES Americom will actually oversee satellite construction.

I am surprised that the Ciel-2 satellite will not be launched until late 2008. I believe this makes it more likely that Dish will place another satellite at 129 W before that time, possibly the E-11 satellite with its steerable spotbeam capabilities scheduled to be launched in early 2007.

Last edited:
rocatman said:
For folks who are not aware, Dish will have use of at least 50% of the capacity on this satellite i.e., 16 transponder frequencies, likely more. The description "the all Ku-band satellite will feature high frequency re-use and both regional and spot beams" is kind of redundant because the only way you have high frequency re-use is with spotbeams. I assume regional beams are just very large spotbeams. One unique way frequencies could be re-used would be to use the same frequencies in Canada and for spotbeams in the southern U.S.

I am not the biggest fan of Alcatel, a European company but they are probably better than some but not all of the U.S. satellite builders. SES Global, the parent company of SES Americom will actually oversee satellite construction.

I am surprised that the Ciel-2 satellite will not be launched until late 2008. I believe this makes it more likely that Dish will place another satellite at 129 W before that time, possibly the E-11 satellite with its steerable spotbeam capabilities scheduled to be launched in early 2007.

I wonder why they haven't released any info on E-11 yet, like where its going to be located and who is constructing and launching it. They tend to release info like this before now. Do you think there will be a move of one of the 110 satellites, Echo 6 or 8, when Echo 10 is put into place? Could it be possible that one of the 110 sats will go to 129? I wish they would let us know more about there plans with the 114.5/118.7/etc. satellites.

"Space Systems/Loral (SS/L) announced in December 2004 that it has been selected by EchoStar Communications Corporation, Englewood, Colo., to build EchoStar XI, a new direct broadcast satellite (DBS) based on SS/Ls LS-1300 platform that will support EchoStars DISH Network and serve as backup to its existing fleet.

EchoStar XI, anticipated to be delivered in early 2007, will be the fifth SS/L-built satellite in the EchoStar fleet."

BrettTRay said:
I wonder why they haven't released any info on E-11 yet, like where its going to be located and who is constructing and launching it. They tend to release info like this before now. Do you think there will be a move of one of the 110 satellites, Echo 6 or 8, when Echo 10 is put into place? Could it be possible that one of the 110 sats will go to 129? I wish they would let us know more about there plans with the 114.5/118.7/etc. satellites.

Dish's recent FCC filings has E-6 staying at 110 W as a spare and E-8 will work with E-10 at 110. In regards to E-11, Dish appears to be doing what they did for E-10, i.e., not announcing or filing very little with the FCC until much closer to launch. E-11 is definitely a DBS satellite and others have posted that it will have steerable spotbeam capability. It just makes a great deal of sense for Dish to place it at 129 W temporarily until Ciel-2 is launched. The steerable spotbeam capability allows Dish to sell its temporary placement to the FCC.

rocatman said:
Dish's recent FCC filings has E-6 staying at 110 W as a spare and E-8 will work with E-10 at 110. In regards to E-11, Dish appears to be doing what they did for E-10, i.e., not announcing or filing very little with the FCC until much closer to launch. E-11 is definitely a DBS satellite and others have posted that it will have steerable spotbeam capability. It just makes a great deal of sense for Dish to place it at 129 W temporarily until Ciel-2 is launched. The steerable spotbeam capability allows Dish to sell its temporary placement to the FCC.

Thanks, you always seem to be the man to know about new satellites and launch info.