Cell phone plan prices drop like a rock...

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Both AT&T and Verizon announce unlimited 24x7 cell usage plans for $99...

No long distance for US
No roaming

I guess after dropping analog yesterday they are going to use some of the freed up bandwidth...

Free Preview - WSJ.com

It's just marketing hype if you ask me.....A way to pay more money for something most of us don't need but they will make it sound like you do... "Why share these measly 500 anytime minutes every month when you can have unlimited minutes for this much"....

I have way more rollover minutes than I will ever need or use, not to mention everyone I know is an ATT customer so it's free to call them anyway.....

It's just marketing hype if you ask me.....A way to pay more money for something most of us don't need but they will make it sound like you do... "Why share these measly 500 anytime minutes every month when you can have unlimited minutes for this much"....

I have way more rollover minutes than I will ever need or use, not to mention everyone I know is an ATT customer so it's free to call them anyway.....

I have about 8k roll over minutes too, but how much more would I use the cell if there was no thought on usage. I bet I would go up to my plan max pretty quick. I do wait to make calls until I am home a lot to use my land line.

If you are constantly accumulating rollover minutes, you don't have the right plan. Reduce it

I never worry about where my minutes run and seem to fall about 80% of max each month. Point is I don't use the phone to call people every couple of minutes and yak for 20-30 minutes about nothing. I see so many people doing this. I have to listen to numbskull conversations about tabloid movie star stories, telling others what you are doing in the store, etc. The craziest one is at Block Buster when men and women call home to get advice on what movie they should rent. They read the DVD covers to whomever is on the line to see if that title is worth bringing home. It's insane.
I've not used a land line phone in over a year and last month shut it down permanently. Besides, the only calls I got on that line in the past were telemarketing calls anyway.

If you are constantly accumulating rollover minutes, you don't have the right plan. Reduce it

Easy in concept but hard in practice. There is a huge gap in the number of minutes between plans. ATT currently has 450, 900, 1350, 2k, 4k, 6k on their web site. 2k is $99 so essentially they will probably be left with 4 plans after they make the unlimted change: 450, 900, 1350 and unlimited with $20 between each plan.

I guess one could switch to a lower plan for a few months to burn up some of the rollover then switch back.

Sprint's is still $119. But that includes unlimited data, texting, voice, and I think unlimited data and voice roaming.

Sprint - Unlimited access pack

It's only available in certain areas but I'm betting it will be rolled out rather quickly.

This is the reason the WSJ said Verizon decided to roll it, they knew it was coming from Sprint and wanted to get there first and cut them off. ATT followed a few hours later with their announcement.

digi:

I can't find information on charges for multiple lines added.

I like the "unlimited" data as I can then tether to my PDA for net access when traveling.

Cheers,

digi:

I can't find information on charges for multiple lines added.

I like the "unlimited" data as I can then tether to my PDA for net access when traveling.

Cheers,

I'm not sure how that works with that plan. Note the areas it is only offered in right now.

There's always the SERO plans. I have the $30 a month one. Comes out to about $32-$33 a month. Unlimited everything except for the 500 daytime minutes. I "tether" all the time with it. Not really tether though as I turn on the WiFi on the phone, open WMWiFiRouter, and the phone basically turns into a wireless router for the laptop to connect to.

I don't talk on the phone much where I don't have another phone near but I can burn up some data usage! ;)

I'm not sure how that works with that plan. Note the areas it is only offered in right now.

There's always the SERO plans. I have the $30 a month one. Comes out to about $32-$33 a month. Unlimited everything except for the 500 daytime minutes. I "tether" all the time with it. Not really tether though as I turn on the WiFi on the phone, open WMWiFiRouter, and the phone basically turns into a wireless router for the laptop to connect to.

I don't talk on the phone much where I don't have another phone near but I can burn up some data usage! ;)

I helped my brother in law get a SERO plan. It required a referral from an employee and we had to find an @sprint.com address or something. I ended up just Googling "@sprint.com" and found a bunch of pages with email addresses we could use.

I helped my brother in law get a SERO plan. It required a referral from an employee and we had to find an @sprint.com address or something. I ended up just Googling "@sprint.com" and found a bunch of pages with email addresses we could use.

Lots of threads even around the net and even on here started by Scott has the savings@sprintemi.com email address.

Awesome plan...even though I don't get great voice coverage at home I'm still smiling ear to ear with this plan and the Mogul.

hmmm, metro pcs has been doing the unlimited with no contract on a much cheaper deal since last year.

but its not nationwide

Hell Cell One in Northern MN had 50.00 unlimited in MN/ND/WI until AT&T gobbled them up.

Best unlimited plan I saw was Cell 2000 (now Unicel)

14.99 unlimited in their coverage area. Sure its state of MN except for Minneapolis, Rochester & Duluth and its 4 bucks for vm and 2 bucks for call waiting but 20 bucks for unlimited if you mainly do local area? Damn thats a good deal

I guess one could switch to a lower plan for a few months to burn up some of the rollover then switch back.

nope. Hate to tell you this but if you change your plan and have a bunch of rollover minutes you only get the same amount of rollover minutes as the plan you switch to

Example....you are on 99.99 for 2K minutes and have say 5000 rollover minutes. You switch to 59.99 for 900 minutes and your rollover minutes is now................

yep....that is one flaw of the system. Another is you lose them after 12 months. Not all of them. Just the ones you gained 12 months ago. So if for 12 months all you did was gain rollover minutes, on month 13 you lose the rollover minutes you got in month 1.

I work for the company so I've dealt with that before from angry customers

There was some satphone service that was something like $50 for unlimited minutes. You had to buy the phone though and it was like $700. If pcs signal was unavailable, it used satellites for communication.

but its not nationwide

Hell Cell One in Northern MN had 50.00 unlimited in MN/ND/WI until AT&T gobbled them up.

Best unlimited plan I saw was Cell 2000 (now Unicel)

14.99 unlimited in their coverage area. Sure its state of MN except for Minneapolis, Rochester & Duluth and its 4 bucks for vm and 2 bucks for call waiting but 20 bucks for unlimited if you mainly do local area? Damn thats a good deal

EXACTLY! Nationwide with no fees is the REAL DEAL. Restricted area "unlimited" deals are no real deal at all at ANY price.

Am I insane?

Windows error message when using FireFox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)