Cell phone plan prices drop like a rock...

This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out. How long before someone drops the price again? Eventually someone will probably do it and will all the others respond?

Also roaming could be affected. Right now companies roam across eachothers networks and trade minutes. If there is no limit on the number of minutes, it could start causing problems if lets say all the ATT customers were roaming in US Cellular's area or T Mobile's area and not enough of the others were roaming in ATT to balance it out and ATT started to have to pay (and not collect from the customer). They might just change the roaming not to roam into the other networks.

This will be interesting to watch.

I know with Sprint on their unlimited roaming plans if you read the fine print they can cancel your account if you roam too much. Set your phone on "roaming only" for a couple of months and burn up 2000 minutes and I bet you won't have a contract after that.

$99.00 verizon cell UNLIMITED PLAN

Heres something new, for 99 bucks talk all day every day............

I am now thinking of droping my home line.

plan is just 3 days old. extra for unlimited text etc

Its not worth the money, you can get a better deal on landline unlimited local and ld, even better on voip at $9.99 a month, if they cut it to $35 a month then I'd say its a good deal.

BTW Bob this same topic is being discussed in the chitchat club and I believe in the pub as well so why start another thread on the same thing?

Edit, its in the electronics forum also

Last edited:
Not 110% sure but I do not think that would be legal.

They do it all the time for select areas. If you go over to the howardforums you will seem them discuss it a lot. For example people in LA are complaining now (Feb 17 was change) that they have been cut off from the Tmobile towers in Beverly Hills (from ATT) and ATT coverage is very poor there. The phones no longer will switch to Tmobile when ATT is not available.

They can control roaming on a tower by tower basis. They can decide in which areas they have enough local coverage to stop roaming to competitor's towers. If something happens like a Semi hits their tower knocking it out or something they can turn on roaming in an area to cover.

I know with Sprint on their unlimited roaming plans if you read the fine print they can cancel your account if you roam too much. Set your phone on "roaming only" for a couple of months and burn up 2000 minutes and I bet you won't have a contract after that.

That's useful information for someone who wants out of their contract early. Then again, Sprint is pretty infamous for dumping high-maintenance customers who call their CSRs too much.

EXACTLY! Nationwide with no fees is the REAL DEAL. Restricted area "unlimited" deals are no real deal at all at ANY price.

but if you're someone who doesn't travel much then it is a good deal.

Unicel (Cell 2000) has a great ad. Its a picture of a guy ice fishing on the lake and it says something of this nature
"I don't care how big your network is. I need it to work locally no matter where I am."

I havent left the state of Minnesota in about 4 years unless you consider Superior, Wisconsin going "out of state" so a statewide unlimited works for me.

yeppers. When I go to my uncles I set it to roam only as 1900mhz Sprint is 1-2 bars and 800mhz Unicel is 5 bars :)

They do it all the time for select areas. If you go over to the howardforums you will seem them discuss it a lot. For example people in LA are complaining now (Feb 17 was change) that they have been cut off from the Tmobile towers in Beverly Hills (from ATT) and ATT coverage is very poor there. The phones no longer will switch to Tmobile when ATT is not available.

They can control roaming on a tower by tower basis. They can decide in which areas they have enough local coverage to stop roaming to competitor's towers. If something happens like a Semi hits their tower knocking it out or something they can turn on roaming in an area to cover.

yep. The old "home on home" roaming. AT&T is doing that in some cases especially in Cali. They send some type of signal (software upgrade maybe??) that restricts people from using T-Mobile service in those areas. It will work fine outside of that area. They have pulled the reigns back after lots of complaints but we get an update all the time on it at work :)

I'm not sure what they call this in the GSM world but it is known as a PRL in the CDMA world. Preferred Roaming List. All the provider has to do is set that SID to negative in the PRL and when you get that PRL your phone will not touch that SID.

There are probably people out there who use their cell phone all day long for business who must regularly have bills that are over $100/mo. So I'm sure this plan attracts them.

Too bad it will cost me $386 a month for everything unlimited for 3 family talk lines.... :(

I don't think Sprint would be able to offer an "unlimited, but no off-net roaming" plan, even if the other carriers could or would, because IIRC, one of the Sprint/Nextel merger conditions said that the new Sprint could not entirely prevent their customers from roaming onto other providers. I think it was considered that would be an anti-competitive practice, because it would essentially allow a relatively large carrier to cut off substantial roaming revenue to smaller carriers.

(However, Sprint's various MVNOs usually are limited to only the Sprint network itself. I think this is where Sprint can make back any money they lose on the roaming requirement.)

Am I insane?

Windows error message when using FireFox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)