cell tower interference with satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adocado

Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
I'm researching an FTA setup I'd like to do with C and Ku band motorized dishes. The problem (maybe not) is there is a cell tower about 130 feet from where I would like to put the dishes, right in the way of some of the satellites on the arc. Unfortunately I don't know how tall it is or what type of services it provides. Do you think the tower is going to cause any problems when the dishes are facing it?

Thanks for your help!

:welcometo the forum. The tower may cause interference. I have one due south of me and am sure it isn't doing my setup any good. Not sure if a terrestrial filter would help and the tower seems kind of close. Are you sure it is between your proposed dish and the satellite? Have you used an app like the dishpointer app?

"C"band frequencies are more prone to TI (terrestrial interference) than Ku but they are much closer than the 22,300 miles that the satellites are.

You could look up the tower here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistrationSearch.jsp

Or use a cellphone app like Dish Pointer to visualize the satellite arc and how it intersects the tower. Luckily, you probably don't have to move the dish much from its planned location to miss the tower, or at least have the tower intersect a part of the arc you care less about.

Your profile says you're in Texas, so the top of the arc is quite high in the sky. Perhaps it sails over the tower easily.

I had to move a dish - after the wireless company upgraded the tower that was across a field. It was probably 750 feet away and I was aimed way above the tower. I moved it in the yard (big) about 200 feet west - worked great.
Bob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)