Center Ice and League Pass

It is not so much a matter of how Dish has chosen to do the package, but how Dish has chosen to broadcast all of their RSNs. Direct carries pretty much every single RSN in HD 24/7. When a game is in HD there are no bandwidth issues when it comes to remapping those same HD RSN feeds to the particular sports package channels, EI, LP, or CI (keep in mind, you can also watch the games on the actual RSN channels on Direct as well).

I didn't realize that was how it worked, referring to Direct having their RSN's in HD 24/7. Bottom line is this whole fiasco has convinced me to switch to Direct so I can get the League Pass in full HD as it should be. I'm going to make sure to tell Dish that they've really dropped the ball in their handling of sports programming.

last season they did 4 or 5 games a night in hd. a lot of west coast games but better than this year. if they gonna do 2 games a night i migt as well call comcast or verizon.

Don't know if you're referring to Center Ice or League Pass, but there were nights last year when LP had as many as 7 or 8 games in HD.

Yeah, I am not at all happy about the lack of LP games in HD either. Last season, I watched all of the Lakers games and I don't recall any of their home games and only a few road games being broadcast in SD only. Tonight's game, which is at home, is only available in SD on LP despite the fact that I see that HD feeds are available on the RSNs for both the Lakers and Warriors. With as many Lakers games as will surely be on ESPN, TNT & ABC this season, it might be time to cancel LP and just listen to the games that aren't nationally televised on the KPSI radio Internet feed.

It is really unfortunate that DISH charges the exact same for both League Pass and Center Ice as DirecTV and yet the packages are much worse on DISH.

I'm not sure how much the leagues themselves affect the actual pricing but it is still a ripoff.

Sports fans need to continue voicing displeasure over this issue.

My displeasure will definitely be voiced tomorrow when I call to cancel League Pass and get it from DirecTV instead. No way am I paying Dish for their inferior service!

Has anyone heard anything about the online version of LP working on Google TV? I'm curious if the NBA blocks the feed like some of the networks are doing to Google TV and if it works, I'm curious as to the quality.

Doesn't look like anybody mentioned it but don't forget D* has both team feeds of a game available on LP :)

E* only has one game feed available and mostly in SD :down

If E* executives were basketball fans themselves they would do something about it, unless they don't want to watch television on their own service which wouldn't surprise me. Charlie Ergen probably doesn't know who Carmelo Anthony is.

Well it definitely seems like the bottom line is that until this 24/7 RSN thing happens DISH Network customers just have to pay the same price as DirecTV customers for a much worse version of a sports package.

Cool....
DISH Network customers have always had to pay the same price as DirecTV customers for a much worse version of a sports package -- i.e. fewer HD games because of the lack of 24/7 RSN's. What I don't understand is why Dish has this season chosen to screw us further by broadcasting only one feed of each of the CI games rather than the two they have broadcast for the past several years.

They should at least maintain the standard (albeit second rate) that they have set in prior years...

Wow. I held off on my CI resubscribe until I saw if/how the Fox deal worked out. If we're not getting our full compliment of HD games, there's no freaking way I'm reupping that subscription. I just got a 922 in April (and am on a 24-month contract), but I'm going to see if I can't figure out a way to get on a provider who can give me all my hockey games in HD. I never thought I'd be leaving Dish, but this is the exact situation that pushes me away. :(

Has anyone heard anything about the online version of LP working on Google TV? I'm curious if the NBA blocks the feed like some of the networks are doing to Google TV and if it works, I'm curious as to the quality.

To answer my own question, I asked Scott if he could check this out for me and he was kind enough to do so in the "FIRST LOOK - Logitech Revue GoogleTV Device" Sticky Thread. The Broadband LP does indeed work with Google TV, but the games aren't in HD, as the NBA doesn't appear to use HD for the Broadband package.

I may cancel the LP package on Dish, order a Revue, which I was considering anyway and go with the 7-team Broadband LP package for $109.95. I only watch Lakers games anyway, so I might as well save $70 and use that towards the purchase of a Revue. With that said, I believe that I have until 11/10 to cancel my Dish LP and it looks like Dish has added more HD games to tomorrow's lineup; not counting the game on NBA TV, four out of the six scheduled games are now listed in HD and if you add the NBA TV games (LAL-Memphis), then it's five of seven, which is more in line with last year's LP on Dish.

I thought I would note that Looking ahead at the Center Ice schedule starting 4/11 we have all games that are not on disputed channels (which is everything but MSG at this point) featured in dual feed HD! This is what I expected with the package.

DISH continued to lie to us during the dispute that the package wasn't affected, it clearly was. Looking forward it appears not all games that could be in HD are necessarily. The 24/7 RSN problem comes into play here, but at least Center Ice subs can finally get the HD games they paid for.

I thought I would note that Looking ahead at the Center Ice schedule starting 4/11 we have all games that are not on disputed channels (which is everything but MSG at this point) featured in dual feed HD! This is what I expected with the package.

Thanks for the update (especially with good news!). I'm likely back in with a CI subscription (of course, it's past the period when I can get the $10 early subscriber discount, but c'est la vie). There was no way I was going to pay for a gimped service compared to what I was provided last season.

DISH continued to lie to us during the dispute that the package wasn't affected, it clearly was. Looking forward it appears not all games that could be in HD are necessarily. The 24/7 RSN problem comes into play here, but at least Center Ice subs can finally get the HD games they paid for.

Well, I looked forward, too and saw SOME dual feeds (home and away) but several others have only one feed. I don't know if this will be updated as time goes on. It definitely is an improvement but not yet up to the level of prior years...

And it still irks me that they have 2 HD versions of some games and no HD versions of others -- including teams that have in the past broadcast their games in HD on Dish CI.

So far I have not seen a single TSN or Canadian sportsnet broadcast in HD. Of course you also have to account for the MSG dispute which is still ongoing and involves the Sabres, Devils, Rangers, and Islanders. Thats 4 teams right there you wont see a duel feed for.

So far I have not seen a single TSN or Canadian sportsnet broadcast in HD. Of course you also have to account for the MSG dispute which is still ongoing and involves the Sabres, Devils, Rangers, and Islanders. Thats 4 teams right there you wont see a duel feed for.

No US service provider that carries NHL Center Ice has the HD feeds for Canadian networks (TSN, Rogers SportsNet, CBC, etc), including DirecTV. It isn't just Dish that doesn't.

No US service provider that carries NHL Center Ice has the HD feeds for Canadian networks (TSN, Rogers SportsNet, CBC, etc), including DirecTV. It isn't just Dish that doesn't.

This is true. I thought CI was supposed to be the NHL showpiece and the NHL has made every effort to have all games broadcast in HD. So why can't they give us these games in HD since they are available?

Off topic, but why is the NHL channel in dolby pro logic rather than dolby digital? Even when they have "look-ins" on live games in dolby digital, the look-ins are in pro logic. I beleve the NFL channel is the same for their broadcast games...

Thanks for the update (especially with good news!). I'm likely back in with a CI subscription (of course, it's past the period when I can get the $10 early subscriber discount, but c'est la vie). There was no way I was going to pay for a gimped service compared to what I was provided last season.
Looking ahead on the dishnetwork site schedule it does appear games in HD is comparable to last year. I noticed on 11/11 there are 7 different games in HD on CI plus the game on NHLN. Two of these games are from both cities sports networks for a total of 10 HD broadcasts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts