Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Just got this in my box...

Certain 148º Local Markets transitioning to the 110º Orbital Location
Good news! Effective September 14, 2006, the Amarillo, TX DMA will be transitioning from the 148º orbital location to the 110º orbital location. A wing antenna will no longer be required to view locals in this market. As this market will now allow locals to be viewed with a DISH 500 antenna, additional antennas will no longer be required nor reimbursed on activations after September 13th, 2006.

In addition, effective September 28, 2006, the following local markets will also transition to the 110º orbital location and customers will no longer require a wing antenna to view locals in these markets. As these markets will now allow locals to be viewed with a DISH 500 antenna, additional antennas will no longer be required nor reimbursed on activations after September 27th, 2006.

Great Falls, MT
Idaho Falls, ID
Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson, ND
Twin Falls, ID

Thanks Scott for the info. I know of a few Sioux fans in Western ND that didnt get locals through Dish because of the "gawdy" 2nd dish

This will help

remember, AK and HI cant not see 129, so they cant get any of the Voom chanels, or the newer HD channels. Maybe E* is finally going to give those customers all the HD the rest of us can get.

JPointerWI said:
remember, AK and HI cant not see 129, so they cant get any of the Voom chanels, or the newer HD channels. Maybe E* is finally going to give those customers all the HD the rest of us can get.

I'm doubtful on E* duplicating the HD a 3rd time, I'm sure the numbers don't add as a positive number when you calculate the revenue that would generated doing this.

148W for HD LIL's on CONUS beams....probably so.

This is awesome news for those of us who happen to live in one of the "Northern States." ;)

(The one directly north of Montana.)

ken0042 said:
This is awesome news for those of us who happen to live in one of the "Northern States." ;)

(The one directly north of Montana.)

why? If you have locals from Montana the spotbeam will nuke the signal

Derwin0 said:
perhaps they're giving up on the space junk at 129 and move the HD there over to 148

I think thats the least of the worries... I remember correctly, 129W isn't even E*'s slot. I doubt you'll the national HD on 129W move to 148W.

Here's an idea.
Swap the birds at 148 for the one at 129.
That way the 148 birds can easily cover ConUS from 129, and the 129 POS bird can supply west coast from 148.

Iceberg said:
why? If you have locals from Montana the spotbeam will nuke the signal

That is possible. However looking at the size of the spotbeam I may be in luck. As the crow flies I'm 276 miles from Great Falls; which is marginally closer than Spokane and I know I'm on the fringe of the Spokane spotbeams. I say fringe because I can get about 52 for signal strength.

What I will do is check it out beforehand, and if I can get a good enough signal strength on the Great Falls spotbeam I may have to take a road trip. Big advantages with Great Falls for me are that it is a lot closer "as the car drives"; 5 hours as opposed to 8. Also the folks at one of the mailbox stores have a mail service for those of us not getting a lot of mail- $20 per year plus actual postage for them to re-direct the odd piece of mail.

Man, do I ever miss the days when I lived closer to the US!

cebbigh said:
Can the bird currently at 148 replace the sick bird at 129? If the sick bird at 129 moved to 148 would it upset fewer customers?
The older birds at 148 can easily handle 129, since their pattern is a big cone. Even with the low single digit azimuths in the northeast, 148 can be picked up, so the same birds at 129 will be able to be picked up as well.

And if the 129 bird is put at 148, most of the east coast (east of the misssissipi) will probably loose it, but since the only thing at 148 is west coast locals and mirrors of the internationals at 61.5, it shouldn't put anyone out (except during the transition).

Echo5 is already running low on fuel due to the momentum wheel problems. I'm sure you will see it stay at 129W and die at 129W.

They are going to ride out the Echo5 mess as long as they can without moving birds around.

Well it will be interesting to see what they are doing with 148. Even if they just left it where it is I see it fine from Seattle. If they put the 129 HD on it I'd be happy (already have a 500 pointed at 129). The only possible catch for Seattle (for those willing to go with 2 dishes) would be our RSN.

Remember people, there is nothing wrong with the 129 slot, it's the crippled gimpy satellite that is causing reception issues.
The 129 orbital location is about the only choice e* has for a 3rd conus orbital location.
DBS satellites need to be about 10 degrees apart. Since E* already has 110/119 that leaves only a few slots that are visable from the whole country -
101 (already very full by D*)
91 - canadian owned space, and pretty full with all the nimiq satellites
129 where it is now, but badly in need of a working bird

FWIW, if the fuel is so low on 129W that will cause it to fail within 30 months or so, then you can bet it doesn't have the fuel left to move to 148W and have any life left.

Also, if you read the local Honolulu thread on AVS, they claim they can get a signal on 129W - and have one now - but they just won't authorize Voom or anything else on it.

Also, they claim they cannot get 148W which floors me as its literally sitting 7 degrees East of the Big Island and 9 degrees East of Honolulu.

And finally, remember they have plenty of space open on 148W - and always have. The only reason to move channels OFF 148W is to reduce the expense of a second dish and switch.

Also, CBS West with a full high bitrate 1920x1080i has always been on 148W.

And Finally, this post explains why they will never make the move you speak of:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=659300&postcount=2

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
FWIW, if the fuel is so low on 129W that will cause it to fail within 30 months or so, then you can bet it doesn't have the fuel left to move to 148W and have any life left.

Also, if you read the local Honolulu thread on AVS, they claim they can get a signal on 129W - and have one now - but they just won't authorize Voom or anything else on it.

Also, they claim they cannot get 148W which floors me as its literally sitting 7 degrees East of the Big Island and 9 degrees East of Honolulu.

And finally, remember they have plenty of space open on 148W - and always have. The only reason to move channels OFF 148W is to reduce the expense of a second dish and switch.

Also, CBS West with a full high bitrate 1920x1080i has always been on 148W.

And Finally, this post explains why they will never make the move you speak of:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=659300&postcount=2

Yep.. I also bet E* will leave Echo1 and Echo2 where they are at and they will probably die there too. If 148W isn't broke...don't fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)