Certificate of Insurance Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lery

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
New Jersey
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am looking at the possablity of switching from Comcast to DirecTV. The price just cannot be beat. I live in a townhouse and they request something called a Certificate of Insurance. The Certificate of Insurance must have the name of my townhouse association listed as an additional insured. I then need to take this certificate and submit it for approval by my association. There are several people that have done this with both DirecTV and Dish.

My problem is getting DirecTV or even Dish Network to understand this. Every time I call they tell me that the installer will have this on him. I try t explain I need this prior to installation or me signing any kind of contract. Verizon also has some offers with DirecTV, so I have even tried them. All three companies have been unable to understan this simple request. I have spoken with supervisors who also are of no help.

I think I am going to be stuck with Comcast, but I was hoping that someone here would have some insight on how to get this certificate of insurance.

-Lery

Not sure about this. But, I think the certificate of insurance is what you have to provide to show you have insurance for any damage caused by the dish.

Not sure about this. But, I think the certificate of insurance is what you have to provide to show you have insurance for any damage caused by the dish.

Yes I know what it is. I am just having a hard time getting DirecTV or Dish Network to understand this. The thing that is driving me nuts, is the management office has several of these from the other homeowners in the townhouse complex.

talk to the hoa and ask who was the last install company that gave them the insurance as most are listed for 1 year and then call that company to sell and install your service

I had to get a 1 million dollar liability policy to have my dish, and maintain it as long as I have the dish up. Are you sure they are not looking for that insurance and not one on the tech?

Yes I know what it is. I am just having a hard time getting DirecTV or Dish Network to understand this. The thing that is driving me nuts, is the management office has several of these from the other homeowners in the townhouse complex.

No, see, it doesn't have anything to do with DirecTV. What the TA is demanding is YOU buy insurance naming the TA as the beneficiary should DirecTV damage the common property. YOU will be buying this, not DirecTV.

Since the chances DirecTV will damage the property are so near zero, your standard renter's insurance can probably set you up for a very small price. It may even already be covered. Talk to YOUR insurance agent.

I provided this for my apt complex. I purchased it from my ins company that I get my renters policy from. They added it to that policy and I provided a copy of my policy to my leasing office.

You do not get this from D or their installers

In addition to what has been said,
As an installer I carried General Liability Insurance as a contractual requirement. My insurance company would send a certificate anywhere at no charge to me....but it took about a week. In your situation know that any installer sent will not know where he is going until the beginning of any work day. Also, know that I never sent a certificate to an installation address because the installation company had one on file for me before assigning any work.............Ask the installation company to send you a copy of the installers certificate and then send that installer to make your connection.

Also, Directv REQUIRES landlord written permission before an installation can take place. Ask Directv for their form and state your requirement there. I think there is one on their web site.
Joe

Last edited:
Are they requiring the contractor that does your installation to have a certificate of insurance to perform the installation, or are they requiring you to have insurance on the Dish so if anything happens after the fact?

If its an insurance certificate to perform the install, I might be able to help you with that :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts