Changing Diplexers ...

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
I'm thinking about changing diplexers, I noticed the OTA power in the status mode fluctuates constantly and yesterday I was losing FOX again periodically, in any case I have a friend that works for a company that could get me these things cheap.. my question is will this product work?

http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/30.pdf

At the bottom of the page is their Sat. TV diplexer.. is this the right spec. to use? would it be better than the one supplied?

Well it's a diplexer, so it should work. However, not all diplexers are created equal. I found that the RCA brand work the best (for me anyway). If you can find the older ones (about the size of a cigarette pack) they work very well. The newer RCA's also work well for me.

Good Luck!

You should use a diplexer only if you really need it. There is always some loss in dB. I don't use it. I have a dual (OTA + satellite) cable.

I wanted an installation without a diplexer but the installer said that my installation didn't need it and there would be a charge, I would like to change the diplexers to something else, that is rated better perhaps?

So anyhow I swapped diplexers and my OTA reception is worse in one of the boxes... so if I run to RadioShack theirs is a little better?

Dvlos said:
So anyhow I swapped diplexers and my OTA reception is worse in one of the boxes... so if I run to RadioShack theirs is a little better?

They sell the RCA Diplexers, as I said they are very good. If not I believe you should be able to return them.

Good Luck!

Dvlos said:
Ok, what's multipathing? and how do I fix?
Multipathing is caused usually by signals reflecting or competing against each other and results in readings bouncing back and forth because the signal is not arriving steadily. It can also be caused by buildings, trees, weather conditions etc. I went through 4 or 5 antennas before talking to local station engineers who told be I needed a directional antenna to eliminate multipathing. The best directional is the channelmaster 4228. I have a medium UHF only Yagi antenna myself, it works ok, RCA ant40u. I have some problems in that the signals seem to move so im installing a rotor but they dont multipath now.go to antennaweb.org and fill in the info and determine the type of antenna you need. fill out your address, select digital stations only. the results will be color coded for antenna type, distance, direction, RF # etc. Another part of the site explains the antenna color coding. That way you can check to see if you are using the right antenna, with the right range and if its aimed in the right direction. Omnidirectional antenna are notorious for multipath. If your local digitals are UHF only then DO NOT get a VHF/UHF antenna. The signals will compete and can also cause multipathing. In short multipathing is what makes the meter bounce like a basketball and the picture freeze/start/freeze/start.

The strange thing is all the channels work perfect except for FOX, which should be the best because it's the closest of all at 8 miles. Before I swithched diplexers I would get start/stutter on WSVN 7 that's the closest FOX, my reception to 29 FOX in West Palm was good (30) miles away. Switching diplexers in the unit I now don't get any FOX stations at all. Downstairs, nor upstairs, unfortunately FOX, ABC, and a CBS (from WPB) are broadcasting in VHF for their digital. Their distance from one another is like .5 miles, and the WPB one is 35 miles away. Still sound like multipathing?

Dvlos said:
The strange thing is all the channels work perfect except for FOX, which should be the best because it's the closest of all at 8 miles. Before I swithched diplexers I would get start/stutter on WSVN 7 that's the closest FOX, my reception to 29 FOX in West Palm was good (30) miles away. Switching diplexers in the unit I now don't get any FOX stations at all. Downstairs, nor upstairs, unfortunately FOX, ABC, and a CBS (from WPB) are broadcasting in VHF for their digital. Their distance from one another is like .5 miles, and the WPB one is 35 miles away. Still sound like multipathing?
I dont know why a diplexer would affect just one station? Thats what leads me to believe its multipathing. Problem is you need to pick up VHF and UHF. ANd your probably using one antenna to pick up both. VHF signals sometimes overpower digital ones. Look up the power rating of that Fox station, I bet its very low. You could try a VHF antenna and a UHF only antenna. I know that was part of the reason I had to use a UHF only antenna, but my digital channels are all UHF.

Vurbano, how do I look up and check a stations power rating.

Dvlos said:
Vurbano, how do I look up and check a stations power rating.
this is the coolest site I found the other day http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp

it has a link to a site to get your latitude and longitude, and a link to a site to get magnetic declination. You put it all in and give it a search range and it lists the station much like antennaweb but also has more info like how much power they use. COOL stuff!

WHoah that site is freaking awesome as is the exact Lat/Long finder..

Ok WSVN7 is a 14.4kW powered station...the other fox station is 33 miles away and broadcasting at 630kW and I can actually tune this better than the close WSVN7 Fox station.

is 14.4kw low?

Dvlos said:
WHoah that site is freaking awesome as is the exact Lat/Long finder..

Ok WSVN7 is a 14.4kW powered station...the other fox station is 33 miles away and broadcasting at 630kW and I can actually tune this better than the close WSVN7 Fox station.

is 14.4kw low?
Very low, theres your problem. ANd you wont solve it until they stop trying to generate power with car batteries or gerbils. To put it in perspective, you can purchase a 7.5 - 13.5 KW generator at lowes for 1100 bucks. http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=45493-348-1925 LMAO

All my stations are at 800-1000KW except the WB at 8KW. we have the same problem, when the leaves fill the trees or weather changes occur I can't pick it up. I would stop worrying about it until they get out of the stone age since you have multiple Fox stations to choose from.

I guess than I should be lucky I can tune the other Fox station that's broadcasting at 600kW power 33.5 miles away? WHy in the hell would Miami's most popular station be so crappy for transmission on their digital, their analog is easy to get.

Dvlos said:
I guess than I should be lucky I can tune the other Fox station that's broadcasting at 600kW power 33.5 miles away? WHy in the hell would Miami's most popular station be so crappy for transmission on their digital, their analog is easy to get.

You may just be too close for the antenna your using. That's what would be causing the multipath proble.

devildogg said:
You may just be too close for the antenna your using. That's what would be causing the multipath proble.
yes he could also be too close. But I doubt it. Depends on his antenna type.

Dvlos I also pick up the analog WB just fine at 8KW. But only the digital without tree leaves.

Mr. Biggles said:
What a great link Vurbano. The best I've seen yet.... LMAO. (had to end the post with that);)
I especially like the maps of the broadcast signals showing both your location and the tower location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)