Channel 99 RF Modulator

rodin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
I don't know where else to put this message, so if it's in the wrong place, please feel free to move it where it's appropriate:

I'm looking to install a security camera at my house, and would like to broadcast the video to an RF modulator to any channel 95 - 99 .. However, with great difficulty, I'm unable to find any modulator's that are going to be able to do what I want it to do. Pretty much, all the Channel Plus and Channel Vision modulators do pretty much everything from Channel 64 upwards (excluding 95-99), but the modulators that I HAVE found that are capable of broadcasting on those channels are hundreds of dollars. Reason for using those channel numbers, is due to my cable company using EVERYTHING else -- Channels 2 - 135 (79-135 = Digital, Excluding 95-99). There are no channels on my cable lineup that I want to block out. I *could* use Channel 4, 7, 14, 15 because those are the local public access channels, but there aren't any 'low-end' modulators that are capable of using those channels, either. Anyone know of a consume grade modulator in existance for any of the channels specified? Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated!

Thanks!

I think you'll be better off removing a PA channel and replaing it with your signal. Channels 95-99 occupy the same frequency range as FM radio, and as such are usually unused on analog cable systems. Therefore, the availability of modulators that support these frequencies tends to be limited. You might find a BT or similar out there that will do it, but you don't want to pay the price it's going to cost.

I use some commercial grade Blonder Tongue brand modulators that I got from eBay. Some of the models are able to provide any channel. Studios around the country will continue to dispose of these items as they convert to digital distribution, but they're completely serviceable and high quality. Most are monaural.

A good choice for a single-channel (i.e., channel is factory-set) is the BAVM-Z model. Search eBay for that text string. Street price delivered is about $25 these days. Make sure it specifies the channel you need. Search for "Blonder Tongue Modulator" to get an idea of other choices with selectable channels (aka "frequency agile").

Don't forget, if you pull a channel to insert this new one, you must assume you cannot use channels on EITHER SIDE

So as an example, if you broadcast 68, the stuff on 67 and 69, and even 66, 70
might be messed up

I am currently splitting my cable, putting a raw feed to my cable box and the other, I remove everything above 68, and place 7 video/audio channels up there

My Dish box, my Evu box, 3 Tivos, a PC, and an XTV box

While I was at it, I also send my IR back to the video closet using my phone wire, so I can get everything even 40 feet from the house in my Gazebo/Hot tub room

Phil

thanks for all the replies!! I'm ultimately wanting to use Channel 99, because on my digital cable lineup, Analog channel 99 is an informercial channel, and my digital box actually tunes to Channel 99, so I won't have to turn off my DVR and manually change my TV to channel 99. I found a Channel 97 on eBay. Channel 99 is also a good choice because the next adjacent channel to 99 is Channels 14 and 15, which are public access channels. I wouldn't mind using those channels, except that the DVR boxes don't tune to those channels due to the channel map.

I've E-mailed the person selling a lot of the blonder tongue modulators to see if they have a Channel 99 A-1 modulator in stock, if not, guess I'll just look into buying the Channel 97 one..

Don't forget, if you pull a channel to insert this new one, you must assume you cannot use channels on EITHER SIDE

So as an example, if you broadcast 68, the stuff on 67 and 69, and even 66, 70
might be messed up

I am currently splitting my cable, putting a raw feed to my cable box and the other, I remove everything above 68, and place 7 video/audio channels up there

My Dish box, my Evu box, 3 Tivos, a PC, and an XTV box

While I was at it, I also send my IR back to the video closet using my phone wire, so I can get everything even 40 feet from the house in my Gazebo/Hot tub room

Phil

What are you using to transmit and receive the IR signal? I'm interested in doing something similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts