Cheap tool to test line signal

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Is there a cheap tool that can tell you if the coax line in a particular room is getting sat feed from the outside box? I have many lines out side to connect my dish to, and I figured this would make it easier when trying to figure out which line on the outside is connected to the inside room.

TIA

A toner $70-100 would work to identify a line. A $20 signal meter would identify if a satellite signal was present. A satellite receiver would show signal in the correct screen and combined with a volt meter would identify the line.

I guess I could just put the rcvr on the ss screen, then have my wife watch it while im outside messing with the wires.

i would always put a phone next to the tv speaker while on the roof with a cell phone to hear the sound the receiver makes when the signal is locked on and you already know that the higher the pitch the higher the signal is.

a cheap $15 sat-buddy type meter will work great for you. You can use it both to detect signal and on the other end to detect voltage. (since it is powered by the receiver it won't turn on unless your line has voltage.)

The other alternative is the built in signal meter, which if you suspect your box and not the wire is no good unless you have a second box that you know works. Also you could be almost certain the problem is the line in the wall but have it turn out to be the line to the groundblock/switch, and that is difficult to tell with just the meter box itself. Plus, if you do have the second box pulled from another room... did you remember how it was wired up or do you now have two boxes out? LOL

The other alternative for finding the wire in the basement that your box is plugged into is any type of voltage meter like a multi-meter. (or your tongue, not really recommended but a satellite box feels like a 9v batter does if that is the wire you stick to your tongue... but I would suggest making sure you don't have an electrical short or an old amplifier power source hooked into any coax lines first :D)

I don't usually suggest fiddling with your system unless you know what you are doing, but if you must you can find a simple signal meter on ebay for less than $20 and it is so helpful. Having a $10-20 meter around the house can be very cost effective... I would say about 33-50% of the service calls I get from my phone book service add could be fixed by the customer, or their "buddy" they always seem to have helping them, if they had one of these meters... That's cheaper than having a $75 directv service call, a $5 a month protection plan, or a $50 service call from me. (Unless of course you had the system installed by me in the first place, then you don't pay for your service call)

I carry two birdog meters on my truck, but I still have a couple sat buddies and an older metal meter because they are really useful as well.

Thanks.

Basically, Im adding a second receiver to the bedroom and my coax junction is on the other end of the house outside.

As opposed to hooking the rcvr up, I wondered if there wasnt an easier way of tracing down the outside line that corresponded to that room.

Sounds like I could hook the satbuddy up in the room, have someone watch it, and then go outside and shuffle wires until I get a sat signal.

Plus, a tool that tells me if the line has sat feed is very helpful for the future.

I used the SF-95 during my recent quest for 129W. Could not have done it without that meter! We were trimming trees to optimize the signal about 50 yards away and could hear from the tone coming the meter when something we just dropped had a positive impact...

hook receiver up in the room and then touch each coax to your tongue, the one that tingles is the receiver line. doesn't hurt, feels like a 9v battery

I use a satellite signal meter connected to a satellite to find which wire is which whether it be a satellite wire or a phone wire or speaker wire.

hook receiver up in the room and then touch each coax to your tongue, the one that tingles is the receiver line. doesn't hurt, feels like a 9v battery
This is by far the cheapest and quickest option available, however you have to beware that it is about twice the kick of a 9V battery (16 - 20VDC) and that if any of the electrical outlets in your house are wired improperly, you could get quite a jolt! (120VAC if you have a hot ground, and yes that is the voice of experience). It works because each receiver powers the LNB at the dish by providing power via the coax line. this power is always present as long as the receiver has power, and the lines are not shorted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)