Check out Netflix.

Did anyone else notice that Netflix had Goodfells and Swordfish listed in the HD DVD section but with no release date knowing full well that the advertised release date was 5/2/06? I could only add to the saved part of the queue not the active part. Now, this morning it shows these movies as released but with short wait. Usually you can add new releases to the queue and if it's the next in line they will send it one day before release. You could not put it next in line because they weren't showing the release (avalability) date. I'm trying to figure out if I'm being throttled.

Last edited:
I see the same thing (just joined NetFlix yesterday!) Perhaps this is because these two movies have been announced in the last moment, less than two weeks ago.

I've got the first three HD DVD's from Netflix. I am surprised to see they are shipping discs in a thin sleeve and in a soft paper envelope without any extra protection...
The first disc I tried (Apollo 13) was all scratched and was skipping as crazy. Unwatchable.
I haven't tried the other two discs yet. Hope, this is not typical for NetFlix. :mad:

Ilya said:
I've got the first three HD DVD's from Netflix. I am surprised to see they are shipping discs in a thin sleeve and in a soft paper envelope without any extra protection...
The first disc I tried (Apollo 13) was all scratched and was skipping as crazy. Unwatchable.
I haven't tried the other two discs yet. Hope, this is not typical for NetFlix. :mad:

I've seen some...but very little of that. That disk is just been released, so whoever had it before you was an animal. When you send it back, let them know it's trashed so someone else doesn't get it.

I find it amazing that someone who took the time to invest in HD-DVD would treat a disk that way.

Jamey K said:
When you send it back, let them know it's trashed so someone else doesn't get it.
I did. I reported it as damaged. They've sent me a replacement: this time it was an SD version of Apollo 13! :D
I've sent it back again, this time I reported it as a wrong disc. (I am sure, NetFlix employees will be confused - didn't I ask for Apollo 13???) The on-line program advised me to add the correct disc to my queue. But it won't let me add Apollo 13 HD DVD to the queue, because the replacement (SD DVD) with the same name is still listed "At home". It probably will let me do that after they receive it in a couple of days, but then I think they will immediately ship other discs from my queue, so it will be another week before I can get the Apollo 13 HD DVD. I could probably erase my entire queue and force them wait until I will be allowed to add Apollo 13 to it, but this would delay shipment of other discs too. Oh well...

Edit: I have just found out that the on-line program does allow to add the movie even if it is marked "At Home". Ok, that helps!

I must say that other discs were all in good condition, and the turnaround time was acceptable: three-four days typically: one-two days for them to receive my disc, and another two days to ship the next one.

Three of the latest HD DVD titles are currently listed as "very long wait", but that's not a problem: I still have a couple of discs ahead of them in the queue.

I am impressed with NetFlix's collection of SD DVDs, especially with all those Foreign movies that are hard to find in rental stores. I think I will continue my membership with NetFlix after the free trial expires, or perhaps will give Blockbuster a try, to compare the two.

All of this talk is getting me jealous. I'm not going to jump yet...but I am happy to see that HD DVD is catching on. Because the 2 format thing has me concerned a bit. It will be interesting to see what happens when Blu-Ray gets released. Netflix is a good service but when they first started out they use to ship everything from Cal and it would take a while for it to get to NYC. Now they have grown and distribution centers are all around the US.

I suspect they don't have enough HD DVDs for all local centers, so HD DVD shipments are taking 2 days, not one. Which is still ok with me.

Well I think I had my first bad disk from Netflix (Jarhead). I'm pretty sure I was the first one to recieve it (I got it on realease date). It had a few scratches but nothing crazy. After it locked up for the 8th time (around chapter 10) I gave up. Has anyone had any issues with the a DVD (regular) in the HD DVD unit? I'm still hoping it's the new software they haven't mastered yet and not the player itself. Pretty frustrating when your enjoying the movie and the problems arise.

I have been a member of Netflix for awhile now without any problems. It sounds like they are having some initial hiccups in the HD DVD area.

teamerickson said:
Well I think I had my first bad disk from Netflix (Jarhead). I'm pretty sure I was the first one to recieve it (I got it on realease date). It had a few scratches but nothing crazy. After it locked up for the 8th time (around chapter 10) I gave up. Has anyone had any issues with the a DVD (regular) in the HD DVD unit? I'm still hoping it's the new software they haven't mastered yet and not the player itself. Pretty frustrating when your enjoying the movie and the problems arise.

I got Jarhead from Netflix this weekend and it locked up around chapter 10 also. There was a huge topic thread on AVSforum about Jarhead, with many people reporting the same lock around chapter 10. After 2 lockups in the same place, I just scene selected to chapter 11 and no problems. Mine had a few scratches, acutally more like buff marks, suspiciously like from postal sorting equipment. I don't think HD DVD disks bode well for Netflix's "ship in a paper sleeve and don't check the return unless the customer complains" business model. Makes sense that disks with a lot more data are going to be more sensative.

Other Netflix comments: I'm been a member for several months. They do start to throttle you back. I was getting 1 day shipping at first, now it's 2-3. I don't think it's unreasonable. On the 2 at a time plan I average 7-8 DVD's per month, averaging around $2 per rental. Considering the postage alone costs them 78 cents, that's not a lot of profit margin for them. Add in no add'l. fee for HD DVD and it's a real bargin.

I've received Jarhead & Last Samarai HD DVD with no problem. If anyone receives a SD DVD in a HD DVD sleeve, I supect the previous customer slipped his SD copy in the sleeve & returned it. Just report the error and Netflix will eventually figure out to check the HD returns to make sure they get the HD version back

CochiseGuy said:
I got Jarhead from Netflix this weekend and it locked up around chapter 10 also. There was a huge topic thread on AVSforum about Jarhead, with many people reporting the same lock around chapter 10. After 2 lockups in the same place, I just scene selected to chapter 11 and no problems. Mine had a few scratches, acutally more like buff marks, suspiciously like from postal sorting equipment. I don't think HD DVD disks bode well for Netflix's "ship in a paper sleeve and don't check the return unless the customer complains" business model. Makes sense that disks with a lot more data are going to be more sensative.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like software and not hardware.

The one thing I can tell you that Netflix does do is slow down their deliveries if you are a heavy user.

Ilya said:
I did. I reported it as damaged. They've sent me a replacement: this time it was an SD version of Apollo 13! :D
I've sent it back again, this time I reported it as a wrong disc. (I am sure, NetFlix employees will be confused - didn't I ask for Apollo 13???) The on-line program advised me to add the correct disc to my queue. But it won't let me add Apollo 13 HD DVD to the queue, because the replacement (SD DVD) with the same name is still listed "At home". It probably will let me do that after they receive it in a couple of days, but then I think they will immediately ship other discs from my queue, so it will be another week before I can get the Apollo 13 HD DVD. I could probably erase my entire queue and force them wait until I will be allowed to add Apollo 13 to it, but this would delay shipment of other discs too. Oh well...

Edit: I have just found out that the on-line program does allow to add the movie even if it is marked "At Home". Ok, that helps!

I must say that other discs were all in good condition, and the turnaround time was acceptable: three-four days typically: one-two days for them to receive my disc, and another two days to ship the next one.

Three of the latest HD DVD titles are currently listed as "very long wait", but that's not a problem: I still have a couple of discs ahead of them in the queue.

I am impressed with NetFlix's collection of SD DVDs, especially with all those Foreign movies that are hard to find in rental stores. I think I will continue my membership with NetFlix after the free trial expires, or perhaps will give Blockbuster a try, to compare the two.

Well, the third coppy of the Apollo 13 arrived yesterday. Again, it was unwatchable: it was getting stuck in several spots. Looks like they've sent me the same bad disc as the first time. Either that, or they have problems with more than one disc. I did watch the entire movie, but I had to skip several spots by going to the next chapter. In some cases I had to restart the movie. Very frustrating... :(

Great transfer, by the way, and a very good movie! I should've bought this HD DVD instead of DOOM...

I got Unforgiven & Full Metal Jacket shipped out by Netflix Tuesday, the first day of release. I bought Apollo 13 & didn't have any playback issues. While the HD DVD quality was good, I wasn't as impressed as I was with newer film releases to HD DVD, such as Serenity and Last Samurai. The PQ wasn't as clear, some film graininess evident at times. So, I wasn't expecting that much from these two.
Unforgiven was amazing perfect transfer to HD - I felt like I was watching the original film print at a cinema. The disc is on its way back to Netflix, but it is in my buy list. FMJ wasn't as impressing, similar quality as Apollo 13. I remembered seeing the movie years ago & didn't expect to enjoy much. I didn't. The boot camp footage way too long & tedious, not enough battle scenes for a 'war' movie.
Doom HD DVD arrived yesterday. I upgraded to 3 at a time, which is probably why Netflix hasn't throttled me back yet - I started with 1 at a time and keep upgrading as the broadcast TV season ends & we enter the summer doldrums until football season starts . . .

CochiseGuy said:
I got Unforgiven & Full Metal Jacket shipped out by Netflix Tuesday, the first day of release. I bought Apollo 13 & didn't have any playback issues. While the HD DVD quality was good, I wasn't as impressed as I was with newer film releases to HD DVD, such as Serenity and Last Samurai. The PQ wasn't as clear, some film graininess evident at times. So, I wasn't expecting that much from these two.

Ive heard people post at AVS about HD DVD increasing the graininess of a movie. Do you think its really a bad thing? Wonder what everyones impressions are.

Some movies are grainy on purpose. The director wants a gritty feel to the film, or wants the film to look like it was from the past. They play with color, grain, depth of field, etc all to make the film look like what they want.

Has anyone else noticed that the first four HD DVD realeases (Phantom, Samurai, Million and Serenity) are now listed in the browse area as N/A? I wonder If there getting a lot back as defective?

teamerickson said:
Has anyone else noticed that the first four HD DVD realeases (Phantom, Samurai, Million and Serenity) are now listed in the browse area as N/A? I wonder If there getting a lot back as defective?
Yes, I saw that. Perhaps they only have very few copies of those first movies, but people keep buying HD DVD players and keep requesting those movies...

By the way, thanks for the tip about timing your shipments! I've sent a couple of discs to them on Saturday they received them on Monday and shipped two new titles on Monday (The Chronicles of Riddick and U-571), so I received them on Tuesday, which is the release date! Excellent!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)