Check out Netflix.

I think that given the problems people are having with the HD-DVD movies, Netflix is going to have to change the way that it deals with these movies. They will need to either send them in a more protective cover or simply buy additional ones for replacement. Either way, I predict that Netflix will adjust its pricing for HD-DVDs such that you either pay a higher monthly fee for access to HD-DVDs or that one HD-DVD counts for two regular DVDs in your queue.

netflix HDdvd rentals

Ilya said:
So, has anyone actually received any HD DVDs from NetFlix? What did you get and how long did it take?

Actually I have another thread comparing netflix with blockbuster for about a week now.

Both say they have HDDVDs but only Netflix devivers on them. I have received 3 HDDVD's from them for three ordered. Blockbuster has sent none & even worse they sent me the std. dvd on two I ordered that were listed in my queue as HDDVD.

Netflix ships them out in about the same time as regular DvDs. They also have a feature that you declare if you want HDDVD to be the preference on new releases. I received Phantom of the Opera, Doom & Cinderella Man.

The key problem as I see it is that supply may be slowed by the fact I suspect renters are keeping the HD DVD longer.

At least I am guilty of it. :D

I guest the question shouldbe has anyone rceived an HDDVD from blockbuster yet?:confused:

Wade

Last edited:
swade, that question you replied to was posted back in April. Since then I have joined NetFlix and received a dozen of HD DVD discs from them. I must say if this wasn't for NetFlix, I wouldn't be able to watch so many HD DVD titles. They are quick and carry pretty much everything that is released. I get new titles on the day of release or the day after. I send them back immediately and go through five-six titles a week.

My only complaint with NetFlix so far, is that some discs have problems. Not sure if this is a problem with NetFlix or with the HD DVD format in general. I carefully clean each HD DVD I receive, still, every third or second disc exhibits some problems during the playback. Other than that, I am happy with the service so far.

Update 07/18/2006: It appears that all those playback problems were actually caused by the player. Had nothing to do with NetFlix. I have not experience any problems since I installed Toshiba's firmware update in early June!

The first five HD DVD titles (Phantom, Samari, Million, Serenity, Doom) are gone from the HD DVD browse section. They had said N/A for about 2 weeks. If you do an individual search you can find them but when you add one it adds as SD DVD. It then gives you the option to change to HD DVD and they're available. Weird!

teamerickson said:
The first five HD DVD titles (Phantom, Samari, Million, Serenity, Doom) are gone from the HD DVD browse section.
They are now available again.

Ilya said:
I am impressed with NetFlix's collection of SD DVDs, especially with all those Foreign movies that are hard to find in rental stores. I think I will continue my membership with NetFlix after the free trial expires, or perhaps will give Blockbuster a try, to compare the two.

I have tried Blockbuster twice and went back to Netflix both times. Netflix has a much bigger selection of titles and a faster turn around time.

No, they don't have it! Out of the four titles released this week, they only have one: The Dukes of Hazzard and it is marked as a Very Long Wait. :(
I have already sent them my request for Pitch Black HD DVD. Until now NetFlix carried pretty much all released HD DVD titles. I hope they continue with that!

Don't have an HD-DVD yet but thinking about it. A subscription to Netflix would accompany it. Is it safe to think that as new releases come out now that they are available in both SD and HD formats? Does Netflix carry all the new HD releases?

Yup, they currently have 34 HD DVD titles. Pretty much everything that has been released so far, with the exception of the 3 titles mentioned above and the four HDNet titles which are only available from HDNet directly.

No problems with NetFlix discs since the firmware update!

Ilya said:
My only complaint with NetFlix so far, is that some discs have problems. Not sure if this is a problem with NetFlix or with the HD DVD format in general. I carefully clean each HD DVD I receive, still, every third or second disc exhibits some problems during the playback.

Just to set the record straight: it appears that all those playback problems that I mentioned earlier in this and in other threads were actually caused by the player! They had nothing to do with NetFlix. I have not experienced any problems ever since I installed Toshiba's firmware update in early June! I even stopped cleaning NetFlix discs, as they all play without any problems. I really hope that NetFlix will not take our initial complaints as an indication of a problem with HD DVD media. I have even sent a message to NetFlix with my apologies about earlier complaints. :D

I am very happy with NetFlix so far and I hope they will continue adding all new released HD DVD titles to their collection!

teamerickson said:
I think they have carried all but 3 of the last 4 that just released Tuesday (Enter the dragon, Friday night lights and Pitch black).
Looks like Pitch Black isn't on Blockbuster Online either. I wonder why nobody is carrying that one? I've already seen it at Best Buy, but too expensive for me.

-John

jgantert said:
Looks like Pitch Black isn't on Blockbuster Online either. I wonder why nobody is carrying that one? I've already seen it at Best Buy, but too expensive for me.

-John

It arrived from Amazon last week.

teamerickson said:
You can find the Paramount titles using a name search. They're not in the HD DVD section yet.
Thanks for the tip! Just added all four of the next week's Paramount HD DVD titles to my queue. :up

Ok, NetFlix has finally added all announced Paramount's titles to the list, including the three released this week and the three coming next week.
Good! I was starting to worry...

Woo Hoo! Netflix is sending out Animal House HD DVD to me today! I can't wait! Hopefully it is better than the reviews make it out to be, so I can buy it. :)

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)