Chocolate Fudge Frosting

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
This one is a bit of work, but will make any cheap cake mix taste good. When combined with a good yellow or chocolate cake, it is all out decadent.

3 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 stick of butter
1 large can evaporated milk
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla (I like vanilla! - could back off to 1 tsp)
1 bag powdered sugar.

combine chocolate, butter, brown sugar, vanilla and 2/3 of the can of evaporated milk in a saucepan. Heat while constantly stirring until thickened. Novice hint - you can tell it is thickened when it has been bubbling heavily and liguid running off the stirring spoon lays on top of the surface for a short time.

(Alternate method - I use this. Place the ingredients in a glass bowl and then in a microwave. Heat in three minute increments, stirring between each interval until contents are bubbling vigorously. Back off to 2 minute intervals, and continue stirring until liquid is thickened.)

If the contents start separating, add a bit of the milk and stir vigorously. Once the contents are thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Again, if it starts to separate, add a bit of milk and beat with mixer.

While beating at slow speed, slowly add powdered sugar until frosting continues to hold its shape for a couple of seconds when beaters are removed. I find this usually takes about 2/3 of a bag of powdered sugar.

Spread immediately on cooled cake and allow to set at least an hour. cut, serve and enjoy.

If you're going to talk about cake toppings, in the words of Ron Jaworski, you are IN MY WHEELHOUSE!

Frosting is what I REALLY like about cake- cakes without frosting or something similar aren't quite the same.

Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, etc- they are all great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)