Churn and Burn!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
WILDCAT NATION said:
Can someone please answer a couple of simple questions for me...

1. If I go "buy" an HD-DVR at BB today and hook it up..do I own it?

2. If I shut off the equipment I know I own now...but then re-activate, do I own it?

This "lease" program has me looking seriously at Cable for the first time in 8 years...and I never thought I would say that. Our local cable company sucks...I mean really, really sucks...but it's looking like a real alternative as I want to get and HD-DVR.

1. No

from their sales flier:

http://javascript<b></b>:var x = Op....0.90.0/Retailers/bestbuy/0312BA18ap1-5.JPG')
Prices effective Sunday, Mar. 12th - Saturday, Mar. 18th (except as noted)
DIRECTV® High-Definition Digital Video Recorder**
(Reg. $499.99)
$399.99
After Mail-In Rebate*
thru Mar 18

(HR10-250)
*Reg. Price $499.99- $100 Mail-In Rebate= $399.99 New customers only. $499.99 for existing customers. $19.95 handling/delivery applies. On approved credit. Programming commitment required. Hardware, programming and DVR service available separately. Lease fee $4.99/mo. for 2nd and each additional receiver. $100 rebate for new customers only and ends 7/1/06. Limit one rebate per account. Customers receiving instant rebate(s) from DIRECTV not eligible.
**HARDWARE LEASE: Purchase of 12 consecutive months (24 consecutive months for advanced receivers) of any DIRECTV TOTAL CHOICE ($44.99/mo or above) or DIRECTV PARA TODOS package ($29.99/mo. or above), or qualifying international services bundle required within 30 days of equipment lease. In certain markets, programming/pricing may vary. DVR service activation required for DVR and HD DVR lease. FAILURE TO ACTIVATE DIRECTV SYSTEM WITHIN 30 DAYS MAY RESULT IN CHARGE OF $150 PER RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED. IF YOU FAIL TO MAINTAIN YOUR PROGRAMMING COMMITMENT, DIRECTV MAY CHARGE PRORATED FEE OF UP TO $300. RECEIVERS ARE AT ALL TIMES PROPERTY OF DIRECTV AND MUST BE RETURNED UPON CANCELLATION OF SERVICE, OR ADDITIONAL FEES APPLY. VISIT DIRECTV.COM OR CALL 1-800-DIRECTV FOR DETAILS. NEW CUSTOMER $100 MAIL-IN REBATE: Customer must complete and sign rebate form (sent automatically in first DIRECTV bill or in a separate mailing), and comply with the terms on the form. Visit DIRECTV.com for full details. Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change. Taxes not included. Equipment specifications may vary in AK and HI. DIRECTV services not provided outside the U.S. ©2006 DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.

2. I think so.

Last edited:
I'm only affected if I want an HD-DVR, right?

Think I'm kicking myself for not keeping up on this stuff the last month or 2? I want an HD-DVR badly...

I can't see how they think this will make them competitive....I've been mistaken for an employee of DirecTv over the years as much as I pimp them, and now they are a WORSE option than a really bad cable company.

gio164 said:
By switching your service you're telling directv enough with all this bull.

And in with our local cable.
1. Loosing a lot of the stations that are on satellite.
2. Paying more a month for less channels.
3. Getting cables poorer Picture Quality.

Can't see any gain there.

lou_do said:
And in with our local cable.
1. Loosing a lot of the stations that are on satellite.
2. Paying more a month for less channels.
3. Getting cables poorer Picture Quality.

Can't see any gain there.

1. Maybe
2. In some cases, in some cases not
3. I couldnt imagine anything looking worse than D* at this point.

vurbano said:
1. Maybe
2. In some cases, in some cases not
3. I couldnt imagine anything looking worse than D* at this point.

Well you have not seen Insight or Tim Warner here in Columbus. I went to an audio/visual store today, little place but higher end, they were hooked up to insight. I went there just to see how good the PQ was from this cable feed. I have now in the last week seen Time Warner, Insight and Dish on multiple set, plasma etc....and I swear to you Vurbano that my HD direct TV pic was the best one. Now that said I do think there are times on SD like on ESPNU yesterday for the Penn State/Rutgers basketball game that I watched on my SD set that I could not believe how bad the pic was. Of course with ESPNU here anyway, D* is the only option.

FlyingJ said:
Well you have not seen Insight or Tim Warner here in Columbus. I went to an audio/visual store today, little place but higher end, they were hooked up to insight. I went there just to see how good the PQ was from this cable feed. I have now in the last week seen Time Warner, Insight and Dish on multiple set, plasma etc....and I swear to you Vurbano that my HD direct TV pic was the best one. Now that said I do think there are times on SD like on ESPNU yesterday for the Penn State/Rutgers basketball game that I watched on my SD set that I could not believe how bad the pic was. Of course with ESPNU here anyway, D* is the only option.

Yes but you cannot make a blanket statement that you made and expect that to be the case everywhere. Apparently Comcast is very good in many areas and so is Cox.

WILDCAT NATION said:
You haven't seen our analog cable company...

The biggest problem is when you have an grainy analog signal and you feed it into a good quality HDTV, the HD processing amplifies the grainy picture and makes it look worse than it does when you view the same picture on an older analog TV set.

Seriously, what does DirecTv think this is going to do to their business?

There is no way I'm paying 500 bucks up front for something I have to give back...

For sure if all that is available in your area is Analog that would stink. Very few channels and low quality. I wouldn't go for that either. Right now the Sats got ya! Perhaps they are confident that much of their customer base is in the middle of nowhere and have no choice. Thanks, Mike

WILDCAT NATION said:

There is no way I'm paying 500 bucks up front for something I have to give back...

Actually it will do very little, to effect them, because when you look at it the only thing that is expensive is the HD-DVR. And the HD-DVR is a small portion of their business. Lots of people get the SD-DVR which is free.

Ok, next silly question...what will the new MPEG-4 HD-DVR's cost under this program? I seem to have missed that.

I'd like to take my Samsung 360 and place it sufficiently in someone at Directv's rectum.

WILDCAT NATION said:
Ok, next silly question...what will the new MPEG-4 HD-DVR's cost under this program? I seem to have missed that.

I'd like to take my Samsung 360 and place it sufficiently in someone at Directv's rectum.

They haven't come out with anything for sure, yet. Just a lot of rumors and statement made at CES, back in January. Nothing in writing yet.

Thank you...I don't really see the point of getting the HD-DVR right now if I want to eventually have the MPeg4 HD-DVR.

WILDCAT NATION said:
Thank you...I don't really see the point of getting the HD-DVR right now if I want to eventually have the MPeg4 HD-DVR.

I agree, I am holding tight with my VCR/DVD recorder, until the new one comes out. Then it will depend on the cost, if I upgrade or not.

Everything I heard about timelines for the new HD DVR (aka HR20-250) with MPEG 4 is it is slated to come out in June and you will have to lease it with a hefty down payment of at least $499 after rebate. Then pay $5 or $10 a month per household for DVR service. Sounds alot like the $10 a month cable charges for DVR rental except no longterm contract and now $499 up front. Hmmmm......
Thanks, Mike

bgilga said:
I absolutely love when people say my receivers don't work. I have had an r-15 since December and I have not had a problem with it yet. I have had the h-20 since January, and agsin, no problems. It is a poor musician that blames his instruments. It may boil down to two facts:

1. My installer knew what he was doing and installed my dish correctly.
2. I know how to work the equipment.

I think the people here that bash D*, E*, or their cable are just looking for free stuff. God forbid you pay for anything. I lost my picture for two minutes the other night because of very heavy thunderstorms, I did not call D* for 3 free months of HBO. If you don't like your service, drop it. If you don't drop it, shut up. Nobody cares about you.

How did you get your R-15 to ignore the repeats? I was never able to get it to record just the first runs.

WILDCAT NATION said:

I'm with you. When and if they decide to give one HD DVR/account for free, I'll go back to DTV. For now, I'm staying with BRIGHTHOUSE. No way I'm paying $500 for something I won't own.

dragon002 said:
rirwin,rmmrph and flyingj,

thanks. the guy wont answer a single question.

i appreciate the backup.

i answer, but your lack of iq, you would not undertsnd the answer ... and my dad always taught me when you are talkin to a troll talk in his lauage, because if you talk over him, he will look confused (picture of dragon here)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AT9 Alignment Parameters

ABC HD in DFW Market

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)