Ciel 2 - ILS Site Active

If I recall, didn't E5's troubles begin during the move to 129? Is there any reason to believe that it might function better at 148? (I'm glad that 148 isn't something I'll be concerned about after Ciel 2 is up and working and I contemplate coming back to Dish.)

E5 at 148 will probably be in a inclined orbit to save fuel. Probably nothing for consumer use, just a license holder and of course the engineers play toy for testing new encoders and such.

This thread will be old news tomorrow-- Hopefully

Even when all goes well (fingers crossed), it won't be old news for me. I'll be following every step of it. Frustration with E5 was a big factor for my going to DTV. A successful Ciel 2 pushes Dish to the top of my list again. I think it is a big deal for a lot of us on the west coast.

If all goes well with Ciel-2 lift-off and positioning, is it possible that testing could begin on 12-20-08, be completed by 12-27-08, and the satellite moved into position by 1-03-09?

If this happens, would it then be possible to complete testing at 129W by 1-10-09? This seems to be the type of schedule Charlie Ergen was hinting at in his Charlie Chat on Monday, and would be consistent with the request to move E-5 on or about 1-15-09. Transmission could then begin on or about 1-11-09.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

TIA,
Fitzie

It's possible, and is entirely dependent on a number of factors which are unknown to us.

Remember that neither Dish Network nor EchoStar own the satellite, so it will probably be tested by others at 138 who will verify that their satellite works, and then move it to 129 and then hand it over to Dish Network to lease.

Dish can emphatically suggest the soonest possible arrival at 129, but are not entirely in charge beforehand.

Is it everyone's opinion that Ciel-2 will end all complaints about the 129 slot for eastern US viewers? I am near Atlanta and always loose 129 in bad weather. I was about to pressure Dish to convert me to Eastern Arc because of this.

Looks like we're live with video on Ch. 101! Here's to a nominal launch!

See you in the chat room...

weird.... can't log in to the chat room from here at work (WinXP and either firefox 3 or IE7). Works fine from home (linux and firefox)

what will this do for eastern arc viewers?

Not much as far as signal strength. However, having a stable 129 satellite with more space should make Dish more comfortable with adding HD to 129 and 61.5. 129 will be at full transponder strength, with 16 for spots and 16 CONUS. Hopefully dish will then accelerate the removal of international programming at 61.5. Dish will than have the space to accelerate launching HD (not that it seems Chalie wants to)

Just had a Dish 1000.2 installed at my home last week which replaced a two dish setup, where the wing dish was pointed at 129. Predictably the signal levels are lower than they were but not too bad. I asked the installer to leave the wing dish alone as I might need to use it for 129 if the signal level was too low. Hopefully Ciel-II will bring the signal here up to a comparable level with 119 and 110.

As a side note, is it only me, or is transponder 15 on E5 really showing up as a spotbeam?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)