Ciel 2 Tracking

They can probably test for about another week and still have time to move and get programming transferred before the end of the month. If they want to mosey over at a slower pace, they'd have to start moving sometime this week. I don't think there will be any HD additions this month and I don't think E* has it written in stone that they have to have it in place by the end of the month. However, if I were E* I would want it in place and new HD added before I wacked my subs with these sizeable monthly price increases.

There is more Ciel 2 testing going on at 138° West at this time. They sure are being thorough. They don't seem to be in any hurry to get it done.

There is more Ciel 2 testing going on at 138° West at this time. They sure are being thorough. They don't seem to be in any hurry to get it done.

Another nice update, thanks. If testing started on Dec. 17th, and they took 2 days off for Christmas, they've only tested about 30 or 31 days. I wonder if that 40 degrees below zero weather had an effect on the test equipment; that's pretty cold even for Canada.:cool:

Epoch (snapshot) approximately 6 am Central Time 1/16
I would like to remind everyone that epoch is the time of issue of the TLE and it may or may not represent where the satellite actually is at that point in time. Remember that the TLE is a model, not a record.

I would like to remind everyone that epoch is the time of issue of the TLE and it may or may not represent where the satellite actually is at that point in time. Remember that the TLE is a model, not a record.

I believe the Epoch is the specific point in time that the last radar/visual observation or other NASA calculation was made to definitely identify the specific location of the space object. So, it represents the most accurate information available to NASA at that point in time and location is probably is accurate to within a few km at the Epoch. The accompanying TLE data set generated at the Epoch can then be used as a base point for predictive analsis of future movement assuming no extra powered movement.

I believe the Epoch is the specific point in time that the last radar/visual observation or other NASA calculation was made to definitely identify the specific location of the space object. So, it represents the most accurate information available to NASA at that point in time and location is probably is accurate to within a few km at the Epoch. The accompanying TLE data set generated at the Epoch can then be used as a base point for predictive analsis of future movement assuming no extra powered movement.

Quite right, but just one small correction: TLEs are generated by the Department of Defense, not NASA. NASA receives TLEs and passes them along to internal and external users like Celstrak, which is where most of the tracking web sites get them.
I helped build the interface between NORAD and NASA that the TLEs come from. (At least it was still in use when I retired 3 years ago.)

Quite right, but just one small correction: TLEs are generated by the Department of Defense, not NASA. NASA receives TLEs and passes them along to internal and external users like Celstrak, which is where most of the tracking web sites get them.
I helped build the interface between NORAD and NASA that the TLEs come from. (At least it was still in use when I retired 3 years ago.)

Thank you for the correction. Hope you will keep us all straight and current on what is happeining. Nice to have an expert on board!!

Another nice update, thanks. If testing started on Dec. 17th, and they took 2 days off for Christmas, they've only tested about 30 or 31 days. I wonder if that 40 degrees below zero weather had an effect on the test equipment; that's pretty cold even for Canada.:cool:

I doubt the cold weather has much effect on testing. Maybe a little if there was a blizzard. Nimiq 4 began commercial service 22 days after launch, so testing can be done a lot faster if necessary.

Turbo HD only packages for existing?

Using on-screen Customer Service via phone line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts