Ciel 2 Tracking

Still more Ciel 2 testing going on at 138° West at this time. Looks like they are working on transponders 31 and 32.

is there any ideas when it might get moved to 129

If you've read this thread, you know the end of January was a target date according to things Ergen has said in the past. In reality, no one here knows for sure and I'm not sure anyone at E* knows for sure as Ciel and SES are the owner/operators and E* is the lessee awaiting delivery to the 129W slot.

Telesat had Nimiq 4 in operation about three weeks from launch. What the heck is Ciel doing? I think this is their first satellite and it really shows.

Telesat had Nimiq 4 in operation about three weeks from launch. What the heck is Ciel doing? I think this is their first satellite and it really shows.

Nimiq4 didn't have spotbeams to throw in the mix. That's what is taking so much time.

Has anyone did a search on old threads around here to see how long it took E10 from launch and to traffic transfer? Even E10 would have been quicker since they were launched on SeaLaunch too.

Nimiq4 didn't have spotbeams to throw in the mix. That's what is taking so much time.

Has anyone did a search on old threads around here to see how long it took E10 from launch and to traffic transfer? Even E10 would have been quicker since they were launched on SeaLaunch too.

According to this post it took 60 days from launch to operation:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1445362-post32.html

According to this post it took 60 days from launch to operation:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1445362-post32.html

The E-10 satellite was also tested at 138 W so it had to be moved from there to 110 W, 28 degrees. Ciel-2 will only have to be moved 9 degrees from 138 W to 129 W. Even at a fairly quick 1.5 degrees a day it would have taken E-10 18 - 19 days to move as opposed to Ciel-2 requiring only 6 days. Recognize that Ciel-2 has both CONUS and spotbeams over 32 TPs while E-10 has only spotbeams on 10 different TP frequencies.

The E-10 satellite was also tested at 138 W so it had to be moved from there to 110 W, 28 degrees. Ciel-2 will only have to be moved 9 degrees from 138 W to 129 W. Even at a fairly quick 1.5 degrees a day it would have taken E-10 18 - 19 days to move as opposed to Ciel-2 requiring only 6 days. Recognize that Ciel-2 has both CONUS and spotbeams over 32 TPs while E-10 has only spotbeams on 10 different TP frequencies.

So your guess for operation is what? March?

So, 60 days for E10. Take of 12 days extra travel time to 110, but add, say, 3 days as it was a 19 degree inclined GTO, rather than a Sea Launch 0 degree GTO. Also add 4 days for the holidays. So maybe 55 days. Its been 42. Maybe 13 more days? Maybe first week of Feb? It has full week to start moving to meet that date. I see no "delay."

Of course, that includes a lot of speculation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts