Clear TV

ohioankev

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
There is this infomercial on one of my locals now for Clear TV. It is this revolutionary device that allows you to receive TV shows for no monthly costs. Even better it has no installation fees. Seriously I couldn't help but laugh at this as the guy is acting like it's made of some recently declassified military technology. If you haven't guessed by now, it's an antenna.

I would rather have the thing on my roof (two, actually) than that ugly-ass thing on display on my living-room wall. At least the ones on my roof actually work!

100_0891.JPG

so right now I'm seeing this infomercial and honestly this is funny chit...some funny parts

"A recent FCC Mandate".......um yeah 4 years ago the DTV transition was...and how well did it go at the beginning
"I can see all of my local teams games"....unless its the NFL no you can't
Dont want to upgrade to HD because you can't afford it? (while they show a console TV)....that still wont show HD as you need a converter box

I first rolled my eyes in disbelief...then doubled over in laughter! Are people viewing that commercial really just that stupid? WOW! Sadly, you know there are people out there who think over-the-air TV went away for good in 2009. :rolleyes:

I see this infomercial has two titles now in the guide

"Watch TV for FREE!" <---the original
"I'm tired of paying for TV" which is interesting as its mainly being shown on RSN's and not on local stations.

A neighbor recently asked me why I have antennas on the roof. "Are they for ham radio?" I told him there were for over-the-air TV reception. He said he didn't realize you could still get TV with an antenna.

Yes, there are lots of people who don't know anything about receiving OTA TV. He can see Sutro Tower right up there on the top of the hill, too. Amazing!

Are people viewing that commercial really just that stupid?

As the prophet David of Hannum once said in jest of P.T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."

What's even sadder is that some of them fall for the "Double the offer" ploy - you get a second one "Free". Just pay shipping, which usually is about half the price of the item itself.

To anyone reading this other than the "choir" who is considering a purchase of the antenna in question, one word of advice:

DON'T!!!

Invest in a proper TV antenna system. I got a yagi at my local "Radiator Shack". It works quite well, pulling in most of the Vancouver BC stations with nice quality (CBC's a problem, darn the luck). I got a second yagi-style one at a hamfest. It's pulling in the translator for the local CBS station. BTW: I also have an amp on the system.

Bottom line, do your homework and go for quality over cheap plastic. Then, once everything's in place and aimed, you'll reap the dividends.

(Do I even have to mention you can use metal coat hangers you may already have to make a DTV antenna...)

I saw this last night and I still roll when I see this. Its comical

I saw a new part. They say "if you have a DVD recorder you can turn in that DVR to the cable company. Just hook ClearTV to your DVD recorder and record your free over the air shows"

There are very few DVD recorders with a digital tuner. The one I have has a analog tuner but not digital

Most televisions have a composite output that mirrors what is on the screen. You should be able to record that to a dvd recorder. You may have to have the television on in order to do that, though.

A neighbor recently asked me why I have antennas on the roof. "Are they for ham radio?" I told him there were for over-the-air TV reception. He said he didn't realize you could still get TV with an antenna.

Yes, there are lots of people who don't know anything about receiving OTA TV. He can see Sutro Tower right up there on the top of the hill, too. Amazing!

I geta lot of people who ask me what "over the air" is? Even when i expalin it they give me a blank stare. I also once referred to the local Chanael 50 and he expalined to em that I meant Channel 3 because that is where his cable system places it.

Most televisions have a composite output that mirrors what is on the screen. You should be able to record that to a dvd recorder. You may have to have the television on in order to do that, though.

but in the video they "clearly" hook the antenna into the back of the DVD recorder. ;)

I geta lot of people who ask me what "over the air" is? Even when i expalin it they give me a blank stare.

I agree. When I lived in my apartment I had an antenna in the walk in closet. When the landlord came around for the yearly "inspections" (to make sure we werent hoarders and that everything worked) she asked me "whats that?" I told her it was an antenna and she wondered why I'd have that when "you get satellite included in the rent".

Satellite doesnt have subchannels :)

but in the video they "clearly" hook the antenna into the back of the DVD recorder. ;)

I haven't seen the ad, so I didn't know that. There were some digital tuner dvd recorders a few years back. They were short lived.

I agree. When I lived in my apartment I had an antenna in the walk in closet. When the landlord came around for the yearly "inspections" (to make sure we werent hoarders and that everything worked) she asked me "whats that?" I told her it was an antenna and she wondered why I'd have that when "you get satellite included in the rent".

Satellite doesnt have subchannels :)

Very few people know what those are. Theings like "Do you mean channel 2007?" which I assume is where their cable system sticks them. few taht do say t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)