CM-4228: Remove Reflector Screen?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I would like to know if anyone has removed the reflector screen on their Channel Master 4228 antenna in order to receive broadcasts from opposite directions? To make a terribly long story short, I have been Vooming since mid April but I am still waiting for my Voom OTA antenna to be professionally installed - 5 failed attempts and counting.:confused:

Here is a link to my installation posting:http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=97103&postcount=18

Just The Facts:

I live 55+ miles from DC (30 degrees) and 51+ miles from Richmond VA (186 degrees)

The local cable company provides locals for both DMAs - Voom (Zap2it) maps locals for both DMAs - I expect nothing less.

I installed my CM-4228 UHF antenna w/CM-7775 preamp on the North side of my house in November 2002 in order to receive DC digitals (thanks Adelphia). The antenna works fine and I can also pull-in Baltimore digitals at night (90+ miles)

Voom antenna was supposed to be installed on the South side of the house facing Richmond - 5th failed attempt as of 2 July. I have a spare CM-4228 and CM-7775 preamp which was temporarily used to verify the Richmond digitals.

Like I said, my DC antenna works great! However, I noticed that during a thunderstorm, I momentarily pick up Richmond stations being bounced off the atmosphere. I was planning to use a remote controlled A/B switch and two antennas, but I am now thinking of removing the reflective screen in the hope of bringing in both DC and Richmond stations with the same antenna.

Both DMAs are in opposite directions roughly 156 degrees apart.

DC Stations of Interest:

WETA-DT 27 PBS 50.70 mi
WUSA-DT 34 CBS 55.61 mi
WDCA-DT 35 UPN 55.87 mi(low power)
WTTG-DT 35 FOX 55.87 mi
WJLA-DT 39 ABC 55.59 mi
WRC-DT 48 NBC 54.94 mi
WBDC-DT 51 WB 57.80 mi

Richmond Stations of Interest:

WRIC-DT 22 ABC 51.19 mi
WTVR-DT 25 CBS 51.19 mi
WRLH-DT 26 FOX 51.19 mi(low power)
WWBT-DT 54 NBC 51.87

Known Conflicts:

WRLH analog channel 35 in Richmond may prevent WDCA digital channel 35 in DC from working. WDCA is at low-power is not schedule to be moved to their full-power DTV tower until 2005.

WETA analog channel 26 in DC may prevent WRLH digital channel 26 in Richmond from working. WRLH is at low-power is not schedule to be moved to their full-power DTV tower until some time in the future.

I have no problem losing both channels!!!

Questions:

Q: Will this work?
Q: Will removing the reflective screen affect my ability to receive DC channels?
Q: Will removing the screen affect my ability to receive Baltimore channels? (There is only a 4 degree separation between DC/Baltimore)

Thanks,
Riff...<EOT>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)