Color temp: 6500 vs. Native....

giraffejumper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
I have an Olevia 227v 27 inch.
As soon as you open the box, the instructions are ADAMANT that the first thing that you need to do is set the color temperature to 6500. (after making sure it is not on showroom display)
It is in the instructions and also on a big sticker stuck to the front of the tv.
The only other option is "Native."
This whole time I have kept it on 6500 in fear that if I change it the tv will blow up or something.
I was watching a blu ray disc on the ps3 (blue planet), and thought I would see what native looks like.
It is AMAZING! It makes the colors look wonderful and brighter and how they are supposed to look.
So I ask my question to someone who may know since the Syntax Brillian site was not much help : Is it going to hurt the TV to leave it on native?
What are the differences between the two?
Thanks,
-phil

hi
It is an LCD panel...the settings will not hurt anything.
I have never found a display yet that is 6500...not that the number 6500 actually means anything. The correct point in color space is D65 or x 313 y 329. Native "may" refer to 9300K ish which is the Japanise standard and very blue.
Regards
Gregg

For those who are not familiar with the term Color Temperature, 6500K or 9300K may sound scarry! After all, 6500 on the Kelvin scale is about 11,240 Fahrenheit! That's really hot!!!

But don't worry! There is no such temperature anywhere inside your TV set! :D
Color temperature is simply a measure of how white is the white color: higher numbers (above 6500K) simply mean that white has a blue tint to it. ("The Blue Planet" may look bluer than ever! ;)). The lower number (below 6500K) means that the color has a yellow tint: (sometimes we call it warmer colors).

You may find one color temperature setting more pleasing than the other one. But only one of them is correct. So, if you want to see colors correctly you need to calibrate your set. Unfortunately, the TV settings available through user menus may not give you the correct option. As Gregg (who is a true expert in this area) pointed out, the 6500 option in the user menu in reality may not be even close to the true 6500K setting (which corresponds to normal daylight white). Only good professional equipment can tell you the exact color temperature of your TV set. Color temperature adjustment usually requires access to service menus.

Thanks for the info guys!
I definitely like the Japanese temp better.
And now I don't have to worry about it ruining my tv!
-phil

I had the same experience as you. I have a Olevia 232V. My booklet also said to make sure the setting was at 6500. After a few days I was playing with the menu and changed it to Native. The picture quality blew me away. It equals the best picture I have seen on a TV as of yet. I have been very proud of that purchase after much hesitation. As a matter of fact, I spend more time in the bedroom watching that TV than I do the the living room on the 57" RPTV.

I had the same experience as you. I have a Olevia 232V. My booklet also said to make sure the setting was at 6500. After a few days I was playing with the menu and changed it to Native. The picture quality blew me away. It equals the best picture I have seen on a TV as of yet. I have been very proud of that purchase after much hesitation. As a matter of fact, I spend more time in the bedroom watching that TV than I do the the living room on the 57" RPTV.
I really like my olevia! It IS a great picture! I can't believe it didn't look this good in the store.
I am sure that this has been asked a million times before and I guess it depends on the tv - but since the olevia is 27 inches and 720p - would it be better to run it in 720p instead of 1080i?
It looks good in both settings - but I have been told that 720p is better for a smaller lcd, and that 1080i would be "redundant", whatever that means in this case.
720p looks smoother and brighter, yet 1080i has a little more clarity.
Thanks,
-phil

EDIT: Never mind, I think this answered my question quite nicely. 720 > 1080
720p Vs 1080i HDTV

Last edited:
if the 6500K setting is somewhat accurate it is best for the overall viewing experience to watch in that setting as that is what the source material is meant to be viewed at.

720p vs 1080i...your display is neither. I would try both combinations and see which one looks crisper and with less artifacting.

regards

Gregg

720p vs 1080i...your display is neither. I would try both combinations and see which one looks crisper and with less artifacting.
Wow - I did not know that! The people at the store said 720 would be better since that is what it was closest to. Or that on the smaller tvs that you can not tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a larger screen. But I realize a lot of these people just want to make a sell and might just say anything. (no one was making much off of this one!)

So I looked it up and it says it is 1366 x 768 Resolution (16:9 Aspect Ratio).

Thanks for pointing that out.

And yes - I have found out that 6500 is good for some things while Native is better for others. Too bad one size does not fit all.....

-phil

Have you calibrated your display with a calibration disc (Avia, Digital Video Essentials, Ultimate DVD) yet?
The thing looks so good that I have not even bothered.
Will it make a huge difference?
If so I will get one today!
Thanks,
-phil

If you are happy with your current settings why bother working on them more? It is not like anyone you know is going to bring over calibration devices and try to embarrass you with your settings. Maybe over time you notice something that you think is off and then calibrate it out, no need to fix something that is not broken.

DVE on Blu-ray should be out around the end of March 08- and an improved version of the current HD DVD DVE disc around that time, too.

It is not like anyone you know is going to bring over calibration devices and try to embarrass you with your settings.
You don't know my friends then!
If I come across one of these I might pick one up.
But it can definitely wait.

DVE on Blu-ray should be out around the end of March 08- and an improved version of the current HD DVD DVE disc around that time, too.
Thanks - I have a ps3 so that might be the one I try when I decide to get one.
-phil

i guess if your happy with your car going 0-60 in 6.0 then enjoy. Personally, Id like my car to go 0-60 in 4.7 so I get it tuned up.

:)

i guess if your happy with your car going 0-60 in 6.0 then enjoy. Personally, Id like my car to go 0-60 in 4.7 so I get it tuned up. :)
Now that you put it that way - why treat a Ferrari like a Yugo?
I think I will get one!
-phil

i guess if your happy with your car going 0-60 in 6.0 then enjoy. Personally, Id like my car to go 0-60 in 4.7 so I get it tuned up.

:)
Its hardly the same thing. If you feel your picture is good, then you have to have a professional tell you its not and calibrate the set to see a difference. Theres always a chance you may think he's wrong and like the brighter less realistic settings and not toned down movie settings. I find myself liking the torch mode on occasion. On the other hand a sports car doing 6 sec vs 4.7 is going to be very noticeable and no one is going to be happy going slow.

Gregg, vurbano, I agree with you BOTH!
I love knowing that something of mine that I really like is maxed out and used to its full potential or beyond.
And I also think that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
That is why I am kind of "take it or leave it" about the calibration while at the same time I would like to optimize and tweak the thing to make it the best I can.
-phil

Its hardly the same thing

I guess we can agree to disagree then.

One is only happy "going slow" if you have never experienced "going fast", which you obviously have not done (in relation to VIDEO STANDARDS).

Ok - I have decided to calibrate my tv because of you guys - especially after reading this article : HDTV resolution explained - HDTV World - CNET.com

"According to the Imaging Science Foundation, a group that consults for home-theater manufacturers and trains professional video calibrators, the most important aspect of picture quality is contrast ratio, the second most important is color saturation, and the third is color accuracy. Resolution comes in a distant fourth, despite being easily the most-talked-about HDTV spec today."

What a very helpful article!

Just messing around with my basic settings made it look even better - so I ordered a DVE disc today. Hope it is helpful.

I tried the pics on this page and they made it look really good - although it is really tricky!

Does a disc help make getting the settings right any easier?

Interesting thread-I have had in the past two weeks the owners of two high end video shops that sell Pioneer Elite and Sony XBR both tell me when i asked them if they used calibration equipment to calibate the system when they do an install. Both said no-that there experience has been that when they use equipment to calibrate the sets, the end users are never happy and they end up using thier eyes to set the color.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)