Columbus, OH HD locals apparently delayed (surprise)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am an avid taster like Proc, and a drinker of Beam Black myself, and Black is much smoother, and a bit sweeter than Knob Creek, and better than the regular white label, and best suited for the occasional drinker or an "everday brand". BUT BLACK is nothing remotely like Knob Creek. Where as white would be the typical call bourbon (not the house call) at a good bar, black & green would be the special call and is usuall found only at better bars, and all the others would be top shelf (excluding yellow cause its just rye) and generally only at the best bars or those in the know.

I meant to add: next night out before dinner, go to your local bar and get you a sample shot of each, and with a plain (no salt) cracker, or water at least in between each, take a sampling, and you will see for yourself. My preferred is a double with three cubes of ice. No water, soda, cola, or twists.

Jim Beam Labels
Jim Beam White 4 yo, 80 proof
Jim Beam Green 5 yo, 80 proof, "Jim Beam's Choice"
Jim Beam Black 8 yo, 86 proof (smooth and sweet)
Jim Beam Yellow label Rye whiskey, 4 yo, 80 proof

Jim Beam small Batch Labels
Knob Creek 9yo, 100 proof (has more "bite" like old-time bourbon)
Booker's 6/8yo, 121-127 proof (straight from the barrel bourbon)
Basil Hayden's 8 yo, 80 proof
Baker's 7 yo, 107 proof

Last edited:
Columbus,oh Hd Locals Update

To add some concrete to the rumored date of April 19,2006, i emailed Directv and got the following responce in respect to the roll out date:

Dear Mr. Irwin,

Thanks for writing us back. I am sorry that this issue was not specifically addressed in our previous response. According to the launch dates that we have, your area (Columbus, OH) is set to have High Definition local channels on April 19, 2006. However, please know that these dates are subjected to change to ensure that we can provide the best HD locals in your area.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. Should you have any other concerns, please feel free to email us or call us at 1-800-531-5000 and our Customer Service Representatives will be happy to assist you.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our service.

Sincerely,
Adrian C
DIRECTV Customer Service

How about emailing/calling them back and asking for that list of dates as you would love to recommend friends for new service but can't until they see a list.

charper1 said:
How about emailing/calling them back and asking for that list of dates as you would love to recommend friends for new service but can't until they see a list.

will do ;(

landlocked said:
According to two different reps I spoke with yesterday, the Columbus, OH market won't now see HD locals until May. We were told it would be in April.

I'm thinking in DTV Speak that means August.

Landlocked

My wife just heard on Channel 6 news here in Columbus that Directv will begin offering local HD today. However, when I called Directv to confirm, rep said their computer system was being updated and she wouldn't be able to check until later.

They will appear along side your analog networks with no indication on the channel, except maybe a "DD" (dolby digital) or HD ID on the show. If you force your H20 to show native resolution, it'll pop up a 720p/1080i flag in the lower right of the screen when you change to those channels.

Let us know how the darn things look compared to OTA. I haven't made any switches yet to my dish or equipment. Can't live without my HDTivo but I would like to know what you all think of the PQ.

I have no way of checking OTA as I don't have an antenna, and I live 80-85 miles from the tower (i.e., no signal). AND, living out in the country means D* & E* are my only choice for HD (i.e., no cable option).

Columbus is on. My question is Is it worth switching over to the 5 lnb? I get all my locals OTA with good PQ, but with MPEG-4 will it improve the other HD channels like ESPN and Discovery CH HD? It just seems to me if the those ch don't improve PQ with the MPEG-4 vs the MPEG-2, why bother with the upgrade. I already have a H20 all I need is the 5 lnb.

Just got off the phone with Directv. They tell me we need to upgrade our high def receiver and dish to be able to receive local stations in high def. Was never informed of this when I called for updates on when we would be receiving local HD. We might just stay with the off-air ant.

buckeyes24 said:
Just got off the phone with Directv. They tell me we need to upgrade our high def receiver and dish to be able to receive local stations in high def. Was never informed of this when I called for updates on when we would be receiving local HD. We might just stay with the off-air ant.
You gotta be kidding! We have been saying you need to upgrade for thae last year or so to get the new HD locals! Where have you been!

robbiee19 said:
Columbus is on. My question is Is it worth switching over to the 5 lnb? I get all my locals OTA with good PQ, but with MPEG-4 will it improve the other HD channels like ESPN and Discovery CH HD? It just seems to me if the those ch don't improve PQ with the MPEG-4 vs the MPEG-2, why bother with the upgrade. I already have a H20 all I need is the 5 lnb.

There isn't any migration of national HD channels planned until new birds are up and on-line. I have no intention of downgrading to DirecTV branded equipment until it is absolutly necessary. The OTA PQ cannot be beat, and there is no WBNS yet, and no WOSU, no 51 and no 53.

Remember ownership of DirecTV is the same as brought us "Fox Widescreen" 480p and has yet to state any intention to broadcast full HD on all HD channels.

No thanks, I'll wait and enjoy the reliability I've enjoyed with 2 TS-160's, a TS360, and DTC210.

I will also wait to upgrade but not b/c PQ of OTA is superior to the mpeg4 HD, although I do not believe that there will be that much difference. I will be waiting for the new HD DVR, which I hope will have a quicker guide and recording program, and new HD national channels. I think that D* will change their roll out plan to be more competitive with E* but that is only my speculation.

Smthkd said:
You gotta be kidding! We have been saying you need to upgrade for thae last year or so to get the new HD locals! Where have you been!

I apologize. As you see, I just registered this morning and I am new to the site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts