[COMCAST] Motorola DCT6214 DVR

mailman390

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Connecticut
Does anyone have this unit? I'm thinking of trading my DCT6200 in for the DCT6412 DVR. Any major bugs or anything I should worry about? Thanks

Last edited:
mailman390 said:
Does anyone have this unit? I'm thinking of trading my DCT6200 in for the DCT6214 DVR. Any major bugs or anything I should worry about? Thanks

It a 6412, not a 6214. The DVR has a few bugs but nothing earthshattering, imo. The one thing that could be an issue is if you have a Phase 3 6412 and use the HDMI output. There is an issue with 5.1 audio out of the toslink output. This problem is resolved in the the firmware release 12.22. 12.22 has not been downloaded everywhere. The temporary fix for this is to use component cables until 12.22 releases in your area. I've used the 6412 for an entire year and it is wonderful.

One other item would be that the analog channels don't look great with the 6412 phase 1 and 2. Your chance of getting one of them would be slight at this point.

I think the 6200 is a single tuner. I have the 6412 and it is a dual tuner, which is nice so you can watch one program and record another at the same time. I used to have Time Warner cable and I had the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box and it blew this Motorola box out of the water. Too bad I moved and can't get that box anymore since Comcast is the provider in the area. The HDMI 5.1 audio thing is a problem only when you rewind something or play a recorded show that was 5.1. Basically it just kicks it down to PCM or as it says on my Reciever Pro Logic. My 6412 only has the 12.13 firmware and I am thinking about calling Comcast to see if they have a newer version of the firmware available.

bongohawk said:
I think the 6200 is a single tuner. I have the 6412 and it is a dual tuner, which is nice so you can watch one program and record another at the same time. I used to have Time Warner cable and I had the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box and it blew this Motorola box out of the water. Too bad I moved and can't get that box anymore since Comcast is the provider in the area. The HDMI 5.1 audio thing is a problem only when you rewind something or play a recorded show that was 5.1. Basically it just kicks it down to PCM or as it says on my Reciever Pro Logic. My 6412 only has the 12.13 firmware and I am thinking about calling Comcast to see if they have a newer version of the firmware available.

If Comcast had newer firmware available, you would already have it. Firmware is distributed by each head end to all of the boxes, not individually.

If you remove your HDMI (temporarily) and go to component cables, your 5.1 will work just fine. Whenever the firmware fixes the 5.1 issue, you just go back to the HDMI.

I discovered one bug in my 6412 just today. I accidentally turned off the box when I meant to turn off the TV, when I turned the box back on I had no video or audio but could access epg and menu, called Comcast and they gave me a hit and told me to Wait 15 minutes so I went on my daily walk came home and it was still out. When I got home, I fiddled with it a little more and then I checked my list of recordings and started playing one to see if it would work, it did and when I went back to live it worked again, so I found the fix. Later I found a link in another thread on this forum that listed this bug and the fix is what I did by chance. The moral of the story is to never ever turn off your 6412. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts