Comcast testing TiVo DVR Software

cybrsurfer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
Springfield, MA
http://www.dvrplayground.com/blog/5/14020/Comcast-testing-TiVo-DVR-Software/

After two years, Comcast has started testing TiVo software but probably will not have market tests until the spring. Currently Comcast says the release will be sometime in "2007" (well, that narrows it down!) as there are numerous issues Comcast and TiVo need to work out including making TiVo work on Comcast's Motorola hardware and network as well as integrating Comcast services like VOD and "TV Navigator".
Comcast plans to distribute the TiVo DVR software to the Motorola DVRs via a download so a cable guy never needs to come out between 8a-5p three weeks from now!

Attachments

• Comcast-Tivo.jpg
    Comcast-Tivo.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 221
This is good news, while the Comcast DVR is "useable" I really love my TIVO. The TIVO "merger" was one of the main reasons I started using Comcast for most of my tv viewing and keeping DirecTv for sports subs.

I hope this means the DVRs will record more reliably and no longer reboot every once in a while. I'd feel better if I could get a DVR from someone other than Motorola, but maybe a major software change will suffice.

I asked my contact a couple questions and I got the answer to one of them I feel you all would love to know. Right now I'm sure your all well aware of the fact that when the Moto boxes reboot it takes a while for all the guide data to fill back in (aka get resent via the OOB tuner). Well from what I hear the new Tivo software will still get the Tivo guide sent via the OOB tuner but with one difference. Today the Tivo filesystem stores all downloaded guide data into a file on the hard drive. Well I've been told that all Moto DVR recordings are stored in a different partition compared to the current iguide software and such. So once Tivo is offered the Tivo software will be installed on a seperate partition that also contains the iguide software. So the key is that no DVR recordings will be touched while a full wipe of the other partitions are done. This will allow a complete fresh install of the Tivo software and firmware to be done without anything being left around.

Now the operating system (aka Tivo software) partition will also include that guide data file so at anytime the box reboots the Tivo software will load this file as part of startup which means all the guide data that was filled in directly before reboot will not be lost nor need to be reloaded either.

That was the single most thing about the Moto boxes that drove me nuts and Tivo will finally fix that. I've also been told that the future Java iGuide (nobody has it yet anywhere) will also have a file that will store and load guide data as this is the number one complaint from customers.

I know its not the biggest deal as far as news but I felt it was worthy of posting.

Ive never had that happen to me (reboot while recording) ever...

Thats great to hear. But there's still the problem of recordings being interrupted when the box reboots. I'm hoping that with the new software the boxes won't reboot as often.

I have never had my unit reboot while recording any program. We shouldn't generalize and assume it's happening to everyone.

I've also never had my box reboot ever unless one of two things occur.

1. Power goes out (now fixed with a brand new UPS).
2. I unplug the box myself.

If your box is always rebooting and its not from power issues I'd highly suggest swapping your box as I would believe its defective. The software has never been that bad that it causes the box to reboot.

Any ideas on how much if any extra per month Comcast will charge to upgrade to the Tivo software?

I'm hearing it will be an extra 5 bucks a month (current DVR Service fee in most markets is 9.95/month so with Tivo it would be 14.95/month) but I'm also hearing that customers who order Digital Platinum (now called Digital Premier) can upgrade to Tivo for free but that thus far hasn't been confirmed nor denied yet.

Now the operating system (aka Tivo software) partition will also include that guide data file so at anytime the box reboots the Tivo software will load this file as part of startup which means all the guide data that was filled in directly before reboot will not be lost nor need to be reloaded either.

Well BRAVO - the one thing that I find SO irritating about the Moto DVR's, is that if they have to reboot or loose power, ALL the guide data is totally lost & takes HOURS to all reload. I mean, HELLO, there IS a HD in the box that should be storing all this info, so why it gets totally lost on a reboot is beyond me. :eek: :rolleyes:

Now the only question is - will it eventually filter on down to us poor Insight subs. (since Insight is part-owned by Comcast, we seem to eventually get some of the Comcast "perks", although sometimes that can take YEARS!)

Well BRAVO - the one thing that I find SO irritating about the Moto DVR's, is that if they have to reboot or loose power, ALL the guide data is totally lost & takes HOURS to all reload. I mean, HELLO, there IS a HD in the box that should be storing all this info, so why it gets totally lost on a reboot is beyond me. :eek: :rolleyes:

Yup I agree but just so you know the Tivo software will use a file on the hard drive while the upcoming iguide software will store a copy of the guide onto a flash RAM chip or something that doesn't lose its contents when power is lost. All digital boxes have this chip so once this new iguide comes out all digital boxes (including all non DVR boxes) won't lose their guide data from a power loss.

I have never had my unit reboot while recording any program. We shouldn't generalize and assume it's happening to everyone.

I'm not generalizing or assuming anything. I'm talking about what has happened to me although only once in a while, with every Motorola box I've had, and not just while recording. Less so with the 3412. Only happened once with the 3416 I got recently. Also happened while I was fast-forwarding through a recording.

And there are other people whose boxes have rebooted on them. So let's not assume it can't be a software problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8968258&highlight=reboot#post8968258

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8913224&highlight=reboot#post8913224

Now the only question is - will it eventually filter on down to us poor Insight subs. (since Insight is part-owned by Comcast, we seem to eventually get some of the Comcast "perks", although sometimes that can take YEARS!)

Information like the guide is stored on a type of RAM because it is ever changing. It would not make any since to store it on a hard drive. If it is taking that long for your guide info to load up then you might have a signal related issue. The first day should load up within 15 minutes.

Information like the guide is stored on a type of RAM because it is ever changing. It would not make any since to store it on a hard drive.

Well I can only think of about EVERY other DVR that DOES load on the HD.
Like BOTH DBS providers, ALL Tivo's, ALL Replay's, ALL UTV's, etc. Those guides are "ever changing" as well & they seem to have no problems being on the HD. :confused: :confused:

If it is taking that long for your guide info to load up then you might have a signal related issue. The first day should load up within 15 minutes.

Sorry, but I've only tried this on over a dozen Insight DVR's, everyone at a different client location & it's ALWAYS the same. I HIGHLY doubt all of them have "signal issues"... :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)