Commercial DCII Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jduffin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah
I am ready to take the DCII plunge and see what is up there. I have experimented with commercial Wegener receivers for DVB and think that I want to go with a commercial reciever for DCII.

Recently I had an opportunity to buy a new Mot 4500X for a reasonable price. However, I passed up on it because I was uncertain if a commercial receiver needs to be previously subscribed to get the FK and ZK channels. It seems that is the case for the more "consumer-ish" receivers like the Mot 4200. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

What about buying a receiver that was previously set up for a network like FOX or ESPN? Are these typically locked-down (meaning you are unable to change the parameters for a different channel) or can they be "reset" so that you can change them to a different channel.

I have doing a fair amount of searching on this forum, but seem to find contradicting information.

BTW -- the receivers I am looking at are the 4500x, 4402x, 4530, and 4800.

Thanks!

...Recently I had an opportunity to buy a new Mot 4500X for a reasonable price. However, I passed up on it because I was uncertain if a commercial receiver needs to be previously subscribed to get the FK and ZK channels...

Yes, previous authorization is required on this (and most other) units to be able to receive FP.

...What about buying a receiver that was previously set up for a network like FOX or ESPN? Are these typically locked-down...

Yes, some of these boxes were "keyed" to work with one provider only. So even if that unit has a valid UID, it won't work for anything else. I don't have first hand experience with a unit keyed this way. The source of this information used to be (maybe still is) posted on familynet.com's website where they described how & what equipment to use to receive their channel.

In other words, don't buy the one on fleabay that braggs about having the ESPN logo on it, lol.

...BTW -- the receivers I am looking at are the 4500x, 4402x, 4530, and 4800...

The only one I have first hand knowledge of is the DSR-4500X. It will do any FP or ZK DCII signal there is. It's said to be not very user freindly, but I don't have any trouble using mine. Others prefer the DSR-48xx, but you'll have to get lucky to even find one. Once you do, the bidding will probably go nuts in the final minutes.

Cheers

Last edited:
To me, the DSR 4800/4810 or the Digitrans DTE-7150 are the best. I have the 7150 and the HDD-1000 hi-def decoder. This combo gets DCII, DVB 4:2:0, 4:2:2 also combo/split DCII and HD of these formats with the HDD-1000. Pretty much every DCII/DVB signal up there when ITC... just no DVB-S2. If you want HD with the decoder, you need to get a 4800/7150 with ASI out. :)

This is a quote from Tron in 2006ish

It's a great piece of equipment, slim (1 rack unit high) but built like a tank. The Digitrans 7150 is actually a rebranded Motorola 4800. It's a commercial broadcast receiver for use mainly in sat trucks and broadcast control rooms. It can receive DVB, DVB 4:2:2, and clear DCII without authorization. It can't move a motor, though, as most commercial dishes are fixed mounted. It has BNC composite analog and component digital (SDI) outputs as well as four LNB inputs. Audio is XLR digital, and there are no S-video outputs. As with most (if not all) commercial receivers, it has manual tuning only, no channel lists, no blindscan."

I am wondering if anybody knows of other receivers that can do clear DC2 without authorization? does the 4500?
Could we post a few? there was one 7150 listed on ebay that i would have to sell my wife (j/k) in order to buy it(expensive)
Thanks
Kodaz

...I am wondering if anybody knows of other receivers that can do clear DC2 without authorization? does the 4500?...

Just to clear it up a little... "without authorization" actually means without prior authorization. So no, the 4500x won't do it without prior authorization. But 99% of what you will find will be used & previously authorized.

With the 4500x, you have to be more careful about not getting a single provider box than anything else. Well, that and a valid UID.

Cheers

I can see several 4500X types on fleabay for around $50. Don't know if they are locked to one provider. supposedly removed form a system ...and unknown
as to status. But for Under $100 shipped do you think it would be a worth it?
Thouhtt I saw a HDD1000 (not marked as such) but I can't find it again.

It's always a little bit of a crap shoot when buying these boxes. Your best bet is to ask the seller if there are any stickers or logos on the unit. Personally, I'd be comfortable with one that has no stickers & a UID that matches (back sticker & menu). But like I said, that's still no guarantee.

If the seller doesn't know how to check UID, it's real easy. No TV is needed. From the main menu (displayed on the front of the unit), arrow to "Stauts", press "Enter", and there it is. It's labeled "Unit Address". Have him compare that to the label on the back. If they match, it has a good UID.

Considering how easy it is, and the fact that you're telling him how... if he's not willing to do that... I'd pass.

The 4500x isn't everyone's favorite box, but at least you can get one.

Cheers

I also see a DTE 7150 and a 7100 available...but the asking price is pretty high.

What do you think a reasonable price for either of those would be. Lots of these people
ask way too much since they cost a lot when new.

I bought a 4500x on flea bay. Have received the unit and the ID is good. Played around with it a lot and apparently it was authorised on something at some point but nothing
works that I expected. No ZK that i could find (nfl net) or U feeds.

AMC1 3940V (where the Denver nets are) does lock and displays R&R Tv. I found a few other feeds on G17 3960H (JCTV etc). Pretty much everything else locks on Hi rate feeds and displays not authorised (MS) for everything. I was not able to lock any feeds under 19510 rates which might indicate a problem. On the other hand I spent the weekend swapping out my 8.5 foot Orbitron for a quad 10 Winegard. Maybe the low rate feeds will lock now. Not sure if this receiver is worth trying anymore with.

I had done the 4 step switch to Hits on my normal 920 Friday. Lost my Denver subs (as expected) but everything else remained working correctly ....till yesterday. After I finally got the dish tuned up and all sats programmed that I can get, I was scanning through the channels on X4 and when I channeled down to ch 374 the receiver froze up and would not respond to any remote or front panel commands. After a few minutes like that I decided to do an unplug and replug (soft reset). When it came back up the X4 feeds were fine....but the receiver lost a lot of the maps for the satellites and seemed to almost do a factory reset (lost W4 G4 G3 W6 etc and genrics CF, CG) although most of the sats and postions continued to be in place. I was very unhappy (still am) .

I did several other soft resets on several birds (G1 C3) , but until the 4 play is further developed I guess the 920 is pretty much limited. The one thing I have thought of is going to Anik and trying a Master reset there...not sure what sats will map from them, but without generics the 920 is pretty limited. I would try a Master reset on X4 but am sure that will wipe my other maps.

One other thing...the lockup occurred again while I was on C4 and I had to do another soft reset....but no more maps were lost. Of course nothing changed either, as there are no maps for the 4D on motorola streams.

I hooked up my second 920 and switched the positioner and polarotor to it...then reprogrammed all the sats agian. I have not tried converting it as yet, although I had subbed to Discovery and Sci fi on SRL just before January and those channels are fine on W5/ X4. Keys will expire after January I assume.

I am afraid to convert this 920 as I'm not sure if the receiver was to blame, or the X4 stream for the map reset..

Since I switched the dish my quality numbers are about 30-50 on W1 W5 ( from10- 30), so maybe I'll try to se if I can get some DVB S2 feeds to lock FTA, and then try the 4500X again.

I'm not sure

I bought a 4500x on flea bay. Have received the unit and the ID is good. Played around with it a lot and apparently it was authorised on something at some point but nothing works that I expected. No ZK that i could find (nfl net) or U feeds...

Commercial receivers won't get U channels, just FP & ZK. And NFL Net is U.

Keep playing & don't get frustrated. I know that I've been saying that I'll do a 4500x tuning guide, and haven't produced one yet... but I will. I'm just really busy right now.

In the mean time, keep playing & learning. This box will receive any FP or ZK signal in any mode, FEC or SR. Once you know how to tune with it, you won't be sorry for your purchase.

Cheers

How do you hook audio out on Commercial DC2 receivers to your tv? Can you just strip an rca audio cable down to the wires and connect it to the screws? I don't really know what it's called. Hopefully someone knows what I'm asking.

Yes, you can do that. I just went to Rat Shack & bought a package of female RCAs & made them just a few inches long. Then I connected them to the appropriate terminals on the Phoenix connector. That way, I could just use a normal A/V (red, white, yellow) cable between the 4500x & the AV receiver. Of course, this assumes you have a BNC to RCA adapter for video.

Also, if you don't have one... there's a 4500x manual posted by Iceberg in the FTA Manuals area.

Cheers

Thanks. I didn't think about wiring short female RCA plugs. That's a good idea. I managed to find some BCN to RCA for my video, so I'm almost there.

yep I took an existing RCA cable (one of the Rat Shack "gold" version...they're a little thicker) and cut it in the middle and stripped the two wires so they fit in fine.

Reactions: fred555
How does it sound?
Imagine there is some deflection on the input.

The manual says those are 600ohm balanced outputs. Prolly should look into some 8:1 baluns to get it down to match the cable's and tv input's. Or I have no idea what I am talking about.

There are XLR outputs on the unit too. Those are for in essence AC-3. I bought some XLR to RCA cables from monoprice but didnt work since I needed a audio tuner than can do AC-3. You get no sound out of them otherwise

[QUOTEthere's a 4500x manual posted by Iceberg in the FTA Manuals area.
[/QUOTE]

What has become of the manual section here? Can't seem to find it after the site was upgraded.

If anyone has the proper link please post it here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts